Latest on the Haymarket memorial clock

Craigieboy

It is still expected that a temporary memorial will be erected in Coates Crescent but council chiefs are also looking at holding a one-off remembrance service on Grosvenor Street, which is just off Haymarket, next year.

indeed its good news, but i dont believe the council have funding in place to erect a temporary memorial.

The Clock is going back to approximately the spot, outside Ryries, where it was originally located. It was moved to its present position when the old trams were removed and the junction was re-designed back in the 1950's.

Well done to everyone who made an effort to get this result!

john brownlee

by bringing it forward a year and not havin' pay big bucks to have a temp' memorial in coats cres. it looks as if the numptys are seeing a wee bit sense (I'll hold my breath). I suspect that they are in a real panic about the future cooncil tax rises and the increasing pressure about the trams, however, not often I will praise their decision making, but this time I will.

Now ger yer finger oot and get the new stand application granted, come on John you see a hill and want a mountain

Miller Jambo 60
by bringing it forward a year and not havin' pay big bucks to have a temp' memorial in coats cres. it looks as if the numptys are seeing a wee bit sense (I'll hold my breath). I suspect that they are in a real panic about the future cooncil tax rises and the increasing pressure about the trams, however, not often I will praise their decision making, but this time I will.

Now ger yer finger oot and get the new stand application granted, come on John you see a hill and want a mountain

Good John.

Dougie, My 1st game was Fester Road but i got a rash.

WorldChampions1902

Absolutely Brilliant News!! Well done to those who finally made Edinburgh Council see sense.

Now, who do we harangue regarding the Councils decision to spend ?10k of taxpayers money on that unnecessary consultants report??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jam Tarts 1874
The Clock is going back to approximately the spot, outside Ryries, where it was originally located. It was moved to its present position when the old trams were removed and the junction was re-designed back in the 1950's.

Well done to everyone who made an effort to get this result!

No, the current location was as a result of changes made in 1971/72 when Morrison Street and West Maitland Street were made one way. During those changes the clock was temporarily at the junction of Palmerston Place and Torphican Street. I know because I lived in Palmerston Place at the time.

Archived