Left Back Problem

Jambosimmy

Makween thinks that we should be aiming to play as many players out of position as possible. Ruben at left back sounds like a great idea, how about Kello up front while we're at it?

I'd like to see Ruben keep his place deservedly in the middle, and Eggert moving to left back. Obua isn't on the best form just now so this is not his time yet.

I think the best idea is to not play Oboa just in case newcastle have any scouts there.

play johnson, at least he will not be shy to put the boot in

Makween thinks that we should be aiming to play as many players out of position as possible. Ruben at left back sounds like a great idea, how about Kello up front while we're at it?

Why not indeed ?

I'd think it would be Jonsson. We'd be foolish to change any of the midfield after the Rangers game and I think Celtic at Parkhead isn't the right type of fixture to introduce Johnny Brown to the first team.

itsnomarooned

A poster on this article suggested Berra at left back - presumably with Karipidis slotting into the centre. Not ideal but he his left sided and quick.

My first choice would be Eggert Jonsson. And I reckon that is the sensible option. Although I wouldn't be disapoointed to see Johnny Brown in there.

:rolleyes:

I assume you want the young lad Brown at left back?

He seems to be the only natural left back we have to choose from, unless the rumours about Obua being able to play there are true. I've yet to see proof that he can even play in midfield however...

Personally i'd just put Eggert in there, although he is prone to the odd, ahem... over zealous slide-tackle that will undoubtedly be punished at Parkhead with a red card and 5 game ban.

A poster on this article suggested Berra at left back - presumably with Karipidis slotting into the centre. Not ideal but he his left sided and quick.

I played football with Christophe in our teens and he did play games at left back and has the right attributes to be good there. The only problem is if we put him there then who do put at centre half? Karipidis? Then who do we put in Karipidis' position? Would prob be best to put Jonsson there so the balance of the team isn't upset too much.

:rolleyes:

I assume you want the young lad Brown at left back?

He seems to be the only natural left back we have to choose from, unless the rumours about Obua being able to play there are true. I've yet to see proof that he can even play in midfield however...

Personally i'd just put Eggert in there, although he is prone to the odd, ahem... over zealous slide-tackle that will undoubtedly be punished at Parkhead with a red card and 5 game ban.

Makween just finds it funny how no-one seems to go for the obvious solution on here, but has to go for someone who "might do okay there".

We have a player who can play at left back, he's looked terrible so far but it's not like he's played that often. Makween would much rather see us play an actual left back than chuch someone in with no known experience of the position.

If not Obua, Jonsson's done a job wherever he's played.

Makween just finds it funny how no-one seems to go for the obvious solution on here, but has to go for someone who "might do okay there".

We have a player who can play at left back, he's looked terrible so far but it's not like he's played that often. Makween would much rather see us play an actual left back than chuch someone in with no known experience of the position.

If you (or the other Makween, always referred to in the third person :rolleyes: ) want Obua then fair enough. But we ARE talking about Parkhead and the only times I have seen him play LB he was appalling !

I would much rather play a naturally left sided, defence-minded player like Ruben. I doubt if he would let us down - although I fully accept it would not be ideal.

if Nakamura plays on the right, he tends to cut inside onto his left foot so a right footed left back is not such a big problem.

If brown plays on the right, then you just need someone to match his strength.

In both cases Jonnson is the best option for left back.

Fair doo's

Agreed, definitely think splitting the centre back pairing up by putting Berra on the left is a bad idea. We need to keep it solid in the middle to deal with Macdonald and Sheridan/Samaras/whoever else they pair up front, and I think Berra and Zali are the best choice. Even if it means Nakamura will skin our 'inexperienced' left back, when balls come into the box hopefully the robust partnership that Berra and Zali have formed will be able to deal with this. Likewise if Nakamura decides to come inside, the centre backs can also provide sufficient cover.

Having an unfamiliar left back and an unfamiliar centre back pairing is a recipe for disaster, keep the changes to a minimum and get young Eggy in there.

In Csaba I trust

I'd put Karipidis at left back and Jonsson in midfield.

Interesting. Do you not think that making two changes might upset the balance of a team that has won 5 on the bounce? Whereas making 1 change might keep the disruption to a minimum?

Interesting. Do you not think that making two changes might upset the balance of a team that has won 5 on the bounce? Whereas making 1 change might keep the disruption to a minimum?

I feel Karipidis is more comfortable on his left side than Eggert is.

Riddley Walker

I've always thought ruben would make a decent left back if we needed to, he's got a good left foot and could put a few decent crosses in

maybe a bit of a shi*er when it comes to tackling though

I feel Karipidis is more comfortable on his left side than Eggert is.

That's fair enough, was just curious to the thinking behind it. I haven't seen either in a left field position so would probably err on the side of caution by keeping everything the same, and just put in someone who has excelled at full back, albeit on the right side rather than the left.

what about rapnik, hes left footed and a defender (albeit a centre back)

but i do think that jonsson will and should play LB

I've always thought ruben would make a decent left back if we needed to, he's got a good left foot and could put a few decent crosses in

maybe a bit of a shi*er when it comes to tackling though

Just a bit ...!!!!!

Archived