Free Kick Spray...a cracking idea!

The People's Chimp

The People's Chimp

Argentines use 'free-kick' spray

The spray will be used in first division matches next season

The Argentine Football Association is to introduce an aerosol spray to stop defenders creeping closer to the ball during a free-kick.

_45287324_-17.jpg

From next year, referees will use the spray in first division matches.

Referees will mark a temporary white line 9.15 metres (10 yards) from the ball, which defenders cannot cross. The spray will disappear 30 seconds later.

Pablo Silva, who invented the spray, got the idea when he failed to score with a free-kick at an amateur match.

"In the 88th minute, we were losing 1-0 and won a free-kick on the edge of the area. When I took the kick, the wall was three metres away," he told Reuters earlier this year.

"The referee didn't book anyone and didn't do anything," he said.

"We lost the game, and driving home later, with a mixture of anger and bitterness, I thought that we must invent something to stop this."

The spray has been given a trial in second division matches and a similar spray has been used in some competitions in Brazil.

It's a good idea, but we would not need it if referees could do their job properly. But I guess that is far too much to ask, especially in Scotland.

Good idea, but it would have to last longer than 30 seconds . The time some take to take a free kick it would need to last half an hour:xmasgrin:

I P Knightley
It's a good idea, but we would not need it if referees could do their job properly. But I guess that is far too much to ask, especially in Scotland.

Sounds so simple but I'm sure there must be a flaw we've not thought of...

An alternative solution is that the ref makes a mark where the kick is to be taken from. Just before taking the kick, the attacking team are allowed to swing a 10 yard rope around with a sharp, spiky metal ball attached to the end. Anyone hit by the ball --- yellow card! Maybe a bit messy for kicks near the touchline and the front rows in the crowds but otherwise flawless, I think you'll agree.

An alternative solution is that the ref makes a mark where the kick is to be taken from. Just before taking the kick, the attacking team are allowed to swing a 10 yard rope around with a sharp, spiky metal ball attached to the end. Anyone hit by the ball --- yellow card! Maybe a bit messy for kicks near the touchline and the front rows in the crowds but otherwise flawless, I think you'll agree.

Splendid idea - it could certainly liven up boring games. Me, I prefer the less-bloody solution of having a giant mechanical arm with a super-sized, but very heavy, subbuteo box that comes down between ball and defenders - anyone within the width of the box would be squashed flat. On second thoughts, perhaps not such a less-bloody solution.

:xmasgrin: Had a wee chuckle to myself at the thought of that.

I P Knightley
Splendid idea - it could certainly liven up boring games. Me, I prefer the less-bloody solution of having a giant mechanical arm with a super-sized, but very heavy, subbuteo box that comes down between ball and defenders - anyone within the width of the box would be squashed flat. On second thoughts, perhaps not such a less-bloody solution.

:xmaswoot::xmaswoot:

My suggestion carries a slight risk of bruising or laceration. Yours comes with certain death!!

I think I prefer yours!! :xmashappy:

:xmaswoot::xmaswoot:

My suggestion carries a slight risk of bruising or laceration. Yours comes with certain death!!

I think I prefer yours!! :xmashappy:

I appreciate that the huge subbuteo box method may have to be implemented at the same time as a rise in the number of substitutes allowed, but to be honest the spiky metal ball method seems much easier to implement than a huge mechanical arm. More importantly, do you think UEFA or FIFA might take us on as "ideas men"? :xmasgrin:

The People's Chimp
Barry Ferguson and Steven McManus will be issued with their own sprays.

Indeed.

And dougie macdonald will just take shorter steps.

What wrong with the tried and testted heel of the boot into the turf to create a mark, most frequently used in the creation of penalty spots in bounce games at the local park!!! :xmasgrin:

Commander Harris

a cracking idea would be for the ref to actually pace out 10 yards, rather than the 8 paces while facing backwards that seems to be the norm.

Why cant the ref just mark ten yards and tell the players to stay there. Why do we need a line, cant the players / ref's just use there imagination for the line?

The same will still happen imo, its more to do with the way the ref officiates than anything else.

They will need a water resistant one for spraying on the puddles at FirPark.

Instead of sprays,these tazer guns the Polis have would do the trick!

I'd prefer it if the players who encroached were sprayed in the face.

With Mace/Pepperspray!

That stuff would ***** them right up!

Archived