Pint or 2 near Parkhead??

Fenerjambo

Our bus is going direct to Parkhead without stopping somewhere on Saturday.We are leaving Haymarket at 1220hrs and will probably be there for half 1ish.Without being paranoid,I hate going into the boozers directly on London Road (full of some of the most dodgy characters in Europe IMO) and I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a nearby boozer that some of us might get a safe pint in. I've heard the Bristol Bar in Duke St would welcome us Jambos?? Any help appreciated. Cheers

Can't help with the question I'm afraid but it reminded of me when I went to the Celtic game during the Burley days.

I'm staying in Glasgow for uni and I had to meet my dad at Parkhead. For some reason I decided to walk the whole way to the ground. Took me an hour and a half! In fact, the last 30 mins was spent walking from one end of the ground to the exact opposite where the Hearts section was.

Thankfully I decided not to wear a Hearts scarf for the walk because it isn't the best of areas. Also, I'd never heard so many Irish people before in my life!

Can't help with the question I'm afraid but it reminded of me when I went to the Celtic game during the Burley days.

I'm staying in Glasgow for uni and I had to meet my dad at Parkhead. For some reason I decided to walk the whole way to the ground. Took me an hour and a half! In fact, the last 30 mins was spent walking from one end of the ground to the exact opposite where the Hearts section was.

Thankfully I decided not to wear a Hearts scarf for the walk because it isn't the best of areas. Also, I'd never heard so many Irish people before in my life!

A thim I know told me last week that there are 3,000 season ticket holders from over the water.

A thim I know told me last week that there are 3,000 season ticket holders from over the water.

Sounds like more than 3000 when they are singing about Ireland at home games :)

There are two pubs on the same street as the away end, London Road? If you walk towards the Barras.

Can't remember the name of the railway / tube station but its opposite there anyway.

They both have Union Jacks outside the doors so I'm ASSUMING there wont b any celtic fans in there!!

Mind you the residents might not be much beter

reminds me of the time a few years back at parkhead in the scottish,had a few in the doocot before leaving then getting through to the game with half an hour to spare,when china decides he needs a wee stiffener,where to go?nearest boozer.so the eight of us march in to the springfield vaultscovered head to toe in maroon,it didnt take long for the natives to notice ,believe me.anyway this guy comes up and starts yapping about how good it was for hearts fans to come into this kind of boozer,[in one ear and out the other ]stayed for one last nip,and the atmosphere was getting getting worse,you could sense the songs were directed at us.but he ho there was eight of us and we were all big laddies,so in for a penny etc.just then this bigbhoy comes up andcomes out withtouch them and youll have to go through us first,anyway happy ending,apart from the result

How about the Louden Tavern, I have a vague idea i may not be a Celtic pub:xmassick:

Think I'd give that place a miss mate.:xmasoh:It was on that programme on sky about Britain's hardest pubs.:xmaseye:Think the favourite might be a taxi right up to Argyle st which wouldn't take long.:xmashappy:

netherleejambo
There are two pubs on the same street as the away end, London Road? If you walk towards the Barras.

Can't remember the name of the railway / tube station but its opposite there anyway.

They both have Union Jacks outside the doors so I'm ASSUMING there wont b any celtic fans in there!!

Mind you the residents might not be much beter

That's Bridgeton Cross - don't go there! TBH can't think of a decent pub within walking ditance where you might get a 'peaceful' drink.

Whitelaws at Bridgeton Cross (opposite the train station) is ok. All Bridgeton X pubs are Hun shops, but not as downright sectarian as The Bristol or The Louden.

Commander Harris
10 minute taxi into town and 10 minutes back out again might be an option,

indeed. Drink in town and get a taxi, their cheep as chips in the weege.

Miller Jambo 60
Our bus is going direct to Parkhead without stopping somewhere on Saturday.We are leaving Haymarket at 1220hrs and will probably be there for half 1ish.Without being paranoid,I hate going into the boozers directly on London Road (full of some of the most dodgy characters in Europe IMO) and I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a nearby boozer that some of us might get a safe pint in. I've heard the Bristol Bar in Duke St would welcome us Jambos?? Any help appreciated. Cheers

Horseshoe bar in the centre mate.

parkhead is a no no for pubs.

They eat their young never mind jambos.

Enjoy your day.

Dougie.

10 minute taxi into town and 10 minutes back out again might be an option,

Wise words - have NEVER went anywhere near the ground for a pint. Went to the Springfield Vaults once before a Scotland game and it gave me the creeps even then!

Taxi fares in Weedge are cheap as chips - pick a pub in the town centre - strike up some "patter" with the bar staff and book a private hire taxi. Sort the driver with a decent tip and see if he will come back and get you after as getting back from there is a nigtmare.

AYRSHIRE JAMBO
Whitelaws at Bridgeton Cross (opposite the train station) is ok. All Bridgeton X pubs are Hun shops, but not as downright sectarian as The Bristol or The Louden.

The louden tavern shut down about 6mths ago. Stick to the city centre or dont bother having a beer and if youre walking through the gallowgate keep your colours well hidden. We come second only to rangers when it comes to who celtic hate the most.

You should try the west bar. Its on london road, right at the top of glasgow green, and pretty well hide away. Its a greeat bar and i'm pretty sure there will not be celtic fans in there.

No one needs a pint bad enough to go into a pub near that stinking hole with hearts colours on.

Drink in the city centre and then go to the game.

Anything else is just throwing yourself at the mercy of some of the biggest tramps the world has to offer.

Stay in edinburgh find a boozer showing the game sorted!!!!!

I'm prob going to have a few beers early doors in the centre of town, then taxi it. Hopefully share the fair with some other jambo's. (tight barstward)

chester copperpot
I'm prob going to have a few beers early doors in the centre of town, then taxi it. Hopefully share the fair with some other jambo's. (tight barstward)

Never ever arrange to meet K1874M in Glasgow for a pre match pint.

:)

The real fans go to the games.

Would usually agree with you, but can't blame anyone for not going to that **** hole !

chester copperpot
Would usually agree with you, but can't blame anyone for not going to that **** hole !

He knows I'm joking. Was thrown out last season with my 6 year old son for asking a policeman why they were being so heavy handed.

Will never go back there, unless its a semi final or summat.

portobellojambo1

Have you arranged to meet anyone, and is breakfast included in the deal. Because I think, in all honesty, if you have arranged such a meeting that you should really let said persons know that at the precise moment they are sitting down for some scran and a pint you will still be in your pit in another city. :rolleyes:

Never ever arrange to meet K1874M in Glasgow for a pre match pint.

:)

You must have been sitting hitting refresh, refresh refresh for that one coming up.

;)

Nah I'll be there with bells on early doors.... taking my sister out for her birthday so will be keeping it together to look after her. ;)

I'll call you when I get in this time, not before. ;)

Doctor FinnBarr
He knows I'm joking. Was thrown out last season with my 6 year old son for asking a policeman why they were being so heavy handed.

Thought you'd changed your mind?

:xmaszip:

Have you arranged to meet anyone, and is breakfast included in the deal. Because I think, in all honesty, if you have arranged such a meeting that you should really let said persons know that at the precise moment they are sitting down for some scran and a pint you will still be in your pit in another city. :rolleyes:

See above. :)

The Old Tolbooth

I'd rather stay sober than spend my good hard earned in that absolute hole of a place, they wont know what clean money looks like the skanky ferkers!

I'd rather stay sober than spend my good hard earned in that absolute hole of a place, they wont know what clean money looks like the skanky ferkers!

Used to have that attitude but I do look forward to it....

Makween has been to the Loudon on a few occasions, good boozer. You'll also be made welcome at most pubs in Bridgeton. :)

Anyone who refers to themself in the third person is a *****. End of.

Miller Jambo 60

Andy had my 2 boys that day.

Wont be back.

Saying that the tims got a kicking in the car park.

The louden tavern shut down about 6mths ago. Stick to the city centre or dont bother having a beer and if youre walking through the gallowgate keep your colours well hidden. We come second only to rangers when it comes to who celtic hate the most.

It's reopened :

otogo6.jpg

Anyone who refers to themself in the third person is a *****. End of.

Great post!

Personal abuse is against the rules of this forum. You're lucky that Makween is a man of honour and won't report you.

Annie Miller's is a fine establishment.

Always made welcome in Annies! Pity it makes Stratties look like this place.

du_dxb_burj_al_arab_a.jpg

It's reopened :

otogo6.jpg

I see what they did there! Quite an amusing double entendre!

Sexton Hardcastle

Has anyone parked at the Bowling club on London road before? Been told to park up there but just wanted the low down on this gaff. Thanks

Has anyone parked at the Bowling club on London road before? Been told to park up there but just wanted the low down on this gaff. Thanks

Next to the Celtic Supporters club:xmaseye:

Sexton Hardcastle

Okay then, thats never good. Any other suggetions? Dont mind walking 10-15 mins. Will be in there fairly early so im hopin itl be pretty easy.

Okay then, thats never good. Any other suggetions? Dont mind walking 10-15 mins. Will be in there fairly early so im hopin itl be pretty easy.

My advice would be to park near the carling (now O2) academy then walk/taxi from there.

Sexton Hardcastle

Right, coming the motherwell road so might park that side of the ground. Thats also the away ish end yea? Is traffic a nightmare after/before the game? Hopefulyl the half hour kept behind might let things move on a bit.

Frankenstein Jambo.
The real fans go to the games.

I can't afford to go to away games this season but i haven't missed a home game - so does that mean i'm not a real fan?

Sexton Hardcastle

Is there plenty of parking at the Carling/02 ? Think id rather pay a few quid to park there than pay some numpty weegie to "look after it".

Is there plenty of parking at the Carling/02 ? Think id rather pay a few quid to park there than pay some numpty weegie to "look after it".

Just round the back not bad looking (for glasgow) white blocks of flats.

Sexton Hardcastle

Right cheers for that. Will look to head that way but will no doubt abandon the car in the first place i see. MOT/Tax is up shortly so any insurance job wouldnt bad too bad a thing.

Archived