Insulting ignorance on SPL website

dkmmgcycbwc

In their tribute to John Cumming they don't even bother to find out what position he played in.

"Capped nine times for Scotland, the left winger and later left-back - nicknamed the Iron Man - helped Hearts to two league titles, four League Cups and a Scottish Cup before moving on to the coaching staff in 1967. He remained at the club until 1976."

They don't at any point mention that 80% or more of his appearances were as a wing half (midfield) but then as he never played for the OF what can you expect?

Of course it exists, albeit in reference to a thing of the past.

Left half he was, just like there is still a linesman.

It was the position he played in at the time. Just like Jimmy Wardhaugh was an inside left.

Tactics ruined footbball from being an attacking game. Bring back the 2-3-5, score goals and win games

Being a little bit picky are we not? The name for his position no longer exists after all.

But to call him a left back is utter nonsense and, as the article suggests, he played relatively few games as a left winger.

The guy, Gold, obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and didn't even bother to find out.

He was a half-back, best in midfield but capable enough in central defence as well.

Even though the names have changed the position certainly still exists.

Anyway, I rather doubt if they would make the same blunder if writing about Baxter, Crerand, McColl, Peacock, Evans, Young etcetera.

But to call him a left back is utter nonsense and, as the article suggests, he played relatively few games as a left winger.

The guy, Gold, obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and didn't even bother to find out.

He was a half-back, best in midfield but capable enough in central defence as well.

Even though the names have changed the position certainly still exists.

Anyway, I rather doubt if they would make the same blunder if writing about Baxter, Crerand, McColl, Peacock, Evans, Young etcetera.

I'm impressed they even knew he was a left winger. That was the very start of his career.

I think, if fact I know, there are members of the media who don't like Hearts and have smug little grins on their face whenever we fail in recent times but this is definitely not evidence of this. You could call it lazy journalism at worse but bias, is it not.

I'm impressed they even knew he was a left winger. That was the very start of his career.

I think, if fact I know, there are members of the media who don't like Hearts and have smug little grins on their face whenever we fail in recent times but this is definitely not evidence of this. You could call it lazy journalism at worse but bias, is it not.

I didn't call it bias; I called it insulting ignorance, which in my opinion, it is.

It's not journalism. If you are asked by the organisation you work for to supply an obituary for someone that organisation respects it IS insulting not to do a bit of research. I reckon he half read another obituary and got it wrong.

I didn't call it bias; I called it insulting ignorance, which in my opinion, it is.

It's not journalism. If you are asked by the organisation you work for to supply an obituary for someone that organisation respects it IS insulting not to do a bit of research. I reckon he half read another obituary and got it wrong.

I agree with you 100%.If it had been an old firm player this would never have happened.

Of course it exists, albeit in reference to a thing of the past.

Left half he was, just like there is still a linesman.

It was the position he played in at the time. Just like Jimmy Wardhaugh was an inside left.

Tactics ruined footbball from being an attacking game. Bring back the 2-3-5, score goals and win games

They should know particularly as he played left half (number six) against Hungary at Hampden, the best team in the world at that time. As a nine or ten year old I was allowed to kip the school, as for some strange reason it was played on a midweek afternoon. We did not have a telly but my old man and I watched it in a neighbour?s house. The magical Magyars has Hideguti, Puskus, Koskis et al but I was more interested in John Cumming and Jimmy Wardhaugh inside left (number 10) who represented Scotland that day. Don?t remember too much else other than getting beat 4 ?2..

IIRC John Cumming was signed as a left winger for Hearts but by the time he reached the first team he had emerged as a left half. He also played left half and centre half during his time at Tynie.

IIRC John Cumming was signed as a left winger for Hearts but by the time he reached the first team he had emerged as a left half. He also played left half and centre half during his time at Tynie.

I should have said he also played RIGHT half and centre half.

Guest juvehearts
I should have said he also played RIGHT half and centre half.

so he was a verstile player,

could have went with that but no.

SFA gtf.

Archived