most underrated OF player and hearts player

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

As we all know, nearly all of the Old Firm are vastly overrated, by the media and their fans, but which Old Firm player do you think is underrated by the media, their fans and others?

Also which hearts player do you think the media under rates these days?

boabyarsebiscuit

Good thread. The thing is as far as the Old Firm are concerned the 21st Century Scottish media goes WAAAYYYYYY over the top on how "good" their players are. So the likes of Aiden McGeady is "World Class", and average players like Chris Burke get raved about way overboard.

If I think about underrated Old Firm players I have to go back in time before I can genuinely think of any.

First up, Andy Ritchie. Dumped by rasellickfitbawclub to Morton in a swap deal for Roy Baines I think. He was the best player I saw in our 77/78 promotion season, and in my opinion he should have gone to Argentina in the Scotland squad.

Around that time Rangers also had a good 'un called Kenny Watson. Admittedly Scotland had a very good team at that time but I'm pretty sure he was also overlooked for International honours. But he was a good player any time I saw him.

In our current team I'd say "most underrated" is Robbie Neilson.

clubfoot, :o decent enough player, the buns dont like him because he came from St Midden on a free. not the greatest but solid, consistent and works hard, was one of there better players at tynie the other week. never understand the stick he gets from the sultana loyal doon the pub each week.

Zal, does a decent job most weeks and has improved, gets a lot of unfair stick from some fans. definitely a ?2 million player :laugh:

Guest JamboRobbo

I'd go with Mark Wilson at Celtic who I think is a good player (tho not a left back).

And for Hearts, probably oor Robbie.

ginger jambo98
Klubfoot and Big Zal:laugh:

Actually, I thought Kirk was their best player in the game at tynie, and to be fair the much maligned big Zal had a decent game too. Just shows that you can't base a player on one-off performances !

Under-rated old firm player is probably Hemdani - just seems to have dropped off that auld duffer Wattie's radar. Under-rated for the JTs would probably be Lee Wallace. Has put in some really good shifts so far this season, but is remembered for a few shockers last season. Still a young laddie with loads of time to develop further.

jamboinglasgow

I knew this would be a tough question when I set it and even I find it hard:

I would go for Sean malloney, it seems he keeps McGeady out the team and yet the fans call for mcGeady to be played, is one of the best players in scotland yet is not often mentioned when talking about celtic.

For Hearts i would agree with Neilson, is solid at the back right, may be old fashioned full back but is dependable and provides experence to the back four.

is there such a thing as an under-rated OF player? doubt it, as soon as one of their players show the first sign of any ability, the meeja have them pegged as the next big thing. if forced to chose one i would say............ no.

hearts player? has to be zaliukas for me. he's been subjected to the most ludicrous witch hunt imaginable. lots and lots of people have lost their perspective of football regarding him, if they had any perspective that is. zaliukas is no craig levein and is prone to some costly errors but he is miles better than he gets credit for.

I'd go with Mark Wilson at Celtic who I think is a good player (tho not a left back).

And for Hearts, probably oor Robbie.

I'd probaby go with that, although I feel a lot of our fans under rate Nade...

EDIT: Zal isnt as bad as some make out either, I agree, but he does seem to have numerous epic fails to his name.

Most Under rated OF player must be Niemi when he was at rangers.

Jose Quitongo for my Hearts player. Loved that wee guy!

Frankenstein Jambo.

Ruben is very under-rated by our support. Sasa papac for rangers gets slated every week by my Rangers mates at college. Celtic fans still don't like it when caldwell play, even though he is solid every week.

Barry Robson - Best player in the league at the moment, yet barely gets the recognition he probably deserves.

Maybe because he's Scottish and ginger.

Ruben is very under-rated by our support. Sasa papac for rangers gets slated every week by my Rangers mates at college. Celtic fans still don't like it when caldwell play, even though he is solid every week.

Papac is idolised by my gers supporting mates.

I'd say Mark Wilson and Neilson

this_is_my_story
is there such a thing as an under-rated OF player? doubt it, as soon as one of their players show the first sign of any ability, the meeja have them pegged as the next big thing. if forced to chose one i would say............ no.

hearts player? has to be zaliukas for me. he's been subjected to the most ludicrous witch hunt imaginable. lots and lots of people have lost their perspective of football regarding him, if they had any perspective that is. zaliukas is no craig levein and is prone to some costly errors but he is miles better than he gets credit for.

No.

For Hearts, I'd say Karipidis - maybe not exactly under-rated, but it's fair to say that a few didn't fancy him in the role he's played for us recently, but it's becoming clear now that he's fitting into that position very well.

Vennegoor of Hesselink is Celtic's most important player. The media would have you believe it would be McGeady or Nakamura.

of the current Rangers and Celtic squads, most are over-rated. I think Neil Lennon was vastly underrated as a player by most, although much of that was probably to do with him being a complete plum. Chris Burke I think is an underrated player at Rangers, they seem to leave him out a lot even when he's fit.

As for Hearts, Robbie is the obvious answer.

Got to be Niemi whilst at Rankers for me and at Hearts, well I know he gets loads of stink, cant pass a ball but the work rate and passion he puts in makes it Nielson the current one for me.

I really don't think the words 'OF player' and 'underrated' belong in the same sentence. Seriously. I would have said Mark Wilson but he has just signed a new contract so just about every journalist covering the story has fallen over each other with superlatives to describe Mark Wilson in order to give Celtic's contract extension extra praise - I despair how these ******* can think the media is against them at times.

As for Hearts, I wonder if Eggert Jonsson is still a faceless name in a cast of thousands?

Archived