Willie Miller on the glue again

Rods

It is a well know fact the the sheep fill the away end with 3000 more fans then it can handle. This applies to every ground they visit, so yes they do have the biggest travelling suport. ( in their own minds that is)

ToadKiller Dog

To be fair the sheep away support is pretty solid no matter how bad they are ,where ours is capable of being a lot more and a lot less in the space of two away games.

Reading the spl call off article in the evening news

I notice willie miller said that aberdeen have the biggest travelling support outwith the OF.

What is that guy on, surely it is hearts who have the biggest travelling support.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/SPL-demands-an-explanation-over.4773254.jp

Scaberdeen do have a large travelling support, most not from Aberdeen, and primarlily made up of those who started following them in the 80's when they were a good team. Scaberdeen will be struggling for a support when the 80's generation goes.

I notice willie miller said that aberdeen have the biggest travelling support outwith the OF.

What is that guy on, surely it is hearts who have the biggest travelling support.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/SPL-demands-an-explanation-over.4773254.jp

I would agree with Willie Miller.

Guest Dipped Flake

I would tend to agree with Miller on this. In 2006 our away support would have been bigger but over the years Aberdeens is consistantly the 3rd biggest in the SPL

The last time I remember Hearts taking more than 2,000 to Pittodrie was the Scottish cup q/final in 1990. I think you took about 4-5000 that day. Mind you, away fans had the old Beach End back then (remember the benches?)

Considering how defensive we are away from home under Calderwood, I'm surprised the away support has held up as much as it has in the last 2-3 years.

The last time I remember Hearts taking more than 2,000 to Pittodrie was the Scottish cup q/final in 1990. I think you took about 4-5000 that day. Mind you, away fans had the old Beach End back then (remember the benches?)

Considering how defensive we are away from home under Calderwood, I'm surprised the away support has held up as much as it has in the last 2-3 years.

Rubbish.

November 91 we almost filled the beach end for a midweek game we won 2-0 (Baird, Robertson). Considering that end held approx. 5k we had at least 4000 that night. Our next game that season up there was our last in the beach end before away fans were moved to the south stand for 92-93.

Aberdeen are the biggest and the best in the SPL...

...in terms of myths, tales and legends.

They had a fantastic spell in the 80s when the conditions were right. But those days are long gone.

They had the right manager who brought in the right players, at a time when the Old Firm were both gash and devoid of any eal spending power; and the (3rd rated) European Cup Winners' Cup was fair game to any British team - due to continental Europe's lack of interest in domestic cup tournaments.

Fair play to them for capitalising. I wish it had been us.

But it's over, Baby. It's over.

Buffalo Bill

What I've never understood about Aberdeen is why their away support has always gone up in inverse proportion to the quality of their team. If they're mince, they get thousands (Skovdahl era for example) but when they were literally one of the best teams in Europe they'd often bring shocking crowds down to Tynecastle.

Right now they probably do have the third biggest regular away crowd. whoopee.

Fitting 4,000+ fans into 3/5s of the School End was indeed some acheivement.

When did they claim that? Hilarious if true..:laugh:

When did they claim that? Hilarious if true..:laugh:

IIRC it was the 2005/2006 season when we had Aberdeen at home in the Scottish Cup. They (supporters groups) claimed they brought over 6000 down to Tynie which was amazing considering the Roseburn only holds 3500 and it was only 2/3 full.

Unless, like the Hobos that year, they came dressed as seats. Must have been the year for it I suppose.

:mw_rolleyes:

Guest juvehearts

i think away fhans of sheep will always say they have brought more sheepshaggers than allocated to gorgie way & feel they have 4,5k because of the noise that can be generated at Tynecasle.

Tynecastle is the only ground in the UK than can generate such noise in a small space & feel like their is 30 to 40k at the game.

Thats why it has been voted so many times the best away ground in scotland by players & fans alike.

Long live Tynecastle.

****** YOU Pie Man

They believe they had the biggest away support. maybe in the late 80,s early 90,s. I would say in the last ten years it is us who have had the biggest though.

Maybe there is facts out there that prove me wrong.

I'd imagine there will be....

Maybe not for the 05/06 season but that was a one-off.

The sheep do,indeed,take a good support around the country but to determine if it is smaller or larger thn us is a job for a statto with the info on away fans' numbers for the last few seasons.You would really have to be determined to prove this particular point!

As regards the Scottish Cup game,the School End was full that day so whatever the capacity is for that stand,that'll be what they brought.

Willie Miller is as deluded as the rest of the cod heads. Take what he says with a pinch of salt (and vinegar) - remember this is the main who couldn't run a chip shop.

As for them travelling, they'll certainly be doing a lot of that when Pit Tawdry is sold in March 2011. :laugh:

They normally start the season pretty well but as they realise they aren't world beaters, the attendances dwindle.

They will also claim to have 4000 at many games even when that wasn't physically possible.

They do have a decent away support though in general.

winston churchill
They believe they had the biggest away support. maybe in the late 80,s early 90,s. I would say in the last ten years it is us who have had the biggest though.

scottish cup final the week after we lost the league.

40.000 hearts fans;)

40.000 hearts fans;)

Scottish Cup semi-final 1996. Half the Aberdeen end empty!

Aberdeen are just another pi ssy wee Scottish club who, like hibs, imagine themselves to be bigger than they are.

Again, like hibs, some of their claims are embarrasing.

Their fans are just a bunch of hippy, hemp shirt wearing, whale saving **** wits from the central belt who tried out something different when they had a wee purple patch in the 80's.

Willie Miller is nothing more than a ****** with a bad mowzer.

The amount of people who travel to Aberdeen away games from the Central Belt heavily subsidises the numbers from Grampian.

They are but the Glory Hunters of their day.

I've worked in the legal sector for about 10 years and the amount of Aberdeen fans in that line of work in particular is unreal.

Their fans are just a bunch of hippy, hemp shirt wearing, whale saving **** wits from the central belt who tried out something different when they had a wee purple patch in the 80's.

Ha ha. I imagine any Jambo would give his right arm for a "wee purple patch" like that. If you had won a European Trophy in the 80's, I doubt that trains would arrive at Waverley, they would arrive at the John Robertson Station.

Remember, we managed to put out Bayern, not just beat them at home and then bugger up the 2nd leg.

40.000 hearts fans;)

Surely you don't want to talk about that match.....

On the larger topic, I have been impressed by the consistent home crowds you lot have attracted in the last 3/4 years. However, as some of the HMFC posters have admitted on here, I'd still contend that AFC's away support is bigger then HMFC's.

Regarding the posters who say that it's all glory hunting 80's wannabees from the Central belt:

a) At least they have a reasonable reason to support us, rather than the family ties of the Bigot Brothers

B) Even if they are based down there, presumably they have to make the same journeys to games you do. I would say it much easier for you lot to get to away games than us

c) If they were glory-hunters, surely the lack of meaningful success in the last decade would have put them off by now?

Aberdeen do carry a good away support now and again, but so do Hearts. If you were to compare Hearts when they are flying to when Aberdeen are(which isn`t often these days) there`s no contest, Hearts carry more.

We know we have a bigger support in general but i`d admit and say Hearts fans are more selective about away games when we aren`t setting the heather on fire.

But as i say, there`s not a better away support outside the OF when we are doing well. Glory hunting to an extent? maybe but most teams outside the OF lose support on the road when things aren`t going too well.

Aberdeen do carry a good away support now and again, but so do Hearts. If you were to compare Hearts when they are flying to when Aberdeen are(which isn`t often these days) there`s no contest, Hearts carry more.

We know we have a bigger support in general but i`d admit and say Hearts fans are more selective about away games when we aren`t setting the heather on fire.

But as i say, there`s not a better away support outside the OF when we are doing well. Glory hunting to an extent? maybe but most teams outside the OF lose support on the road when things aren`t going too well.

75% of the Aberdeen "away" fans are not "home" fans. They are central belt based and can?t be bothered travelling to Aberdeen at weekends so go to away games instead because they are closer. Look to the self-styled Red Ultras, there were about 15 of them the last time they came to Tynecastle. As for the home support, where have they been the last few years? They are down to their hardcore of home support which number maybe 10K plus their away support who are maybe another 2-3K.

75% of the Aberdeen "away" fans are not "home" fans. They are central belt based and can?t be bothered travelling to Aberdeen at weekends so go to away games instead because they are closer. Look to the self-styled Red Ultras, there were about 15 of them the last time they came to Tynecastle. As for the home support, where have they been the last few years? They are down to their hardcore of home support which number maybe 10K plus their away support who are maybe another 2-3K.

Agree mate, can`t believe the amount of Aberdeen and even Dundee Utd fans i`ve met through time at work and play who come from all parts of the Lothians.

I could understand if they had family ties from those areas but most of them don`t. There`s 2 good historical , big clubs in Edinburgh they could follow.....Hearts and Hearts reserves.;)

Most of them, as you say, haven`t been near their respective clubs grounds and pop along to Tynie or Fester for their only day out all year.

c) If they were glory-hunters, surely the lack of meaningful success in the last decade would have put them off by now?

I agree with this. Especially between 1996 and 2004 - I dread to think what the reaction would've been amongst us had Hearts been as staggeringly awful as you were.

We're natural rivals for the third force tag. We have considerably more potential and a bigger fanbase, both potential and real - but you've won more trophies than us. Accordingly, the debate still hasn't been truly settled (I certainly think it's Hearts, mind!).

Totally agree, also when it comes to following our team in Europe we are up there with the best, a trully magnificent support abroad.

Cod head fans are a bunch of diddies. They are all mouth and oilskins.

Their failure to attend the 1983 Cup Winners Cup Final in any great numbers -admittedly against the worst ever Real Madrid team - set off a chain of events that led directly to the cancellation of that tournament.

frank skinner
I agree with this. Especially between 1996 and 2004 - I dread to think what the reaction would've been amongst us had Hearts been as staggeringly awful as you were.

We're natural rivals for the third force tag. We have considerably more potential and a bigger fanbase, both potential and real - but you've won more trophies than us. Accordingly, the debate still hasn't been truly settled (I certainly think it's Hearts, mind!).

what irony coming from a computer hearts fan.

what irony coming from a computer hearts fan.

:th_Yawn:

It just goes on and on.

Skint? You're not a Hearts fan!

Live far away? You're not a Hearts fan!

English? You're not a Hearts fan!

Post on messageboards about Hearts? You're definitely not a Hearts fan!

Bizarre - especially given at a time like this, Hearts need all the fans we can get.

:th_Yawn:

It just goes on and on.

Skint? You're not a Hearts fan!

Live far away? You're not a Hearts fan!

English? You're not a Hearts fan!

Post on messageboards about Hearts? You're definitely not a Hearts fan!

Bizarre - especially given at a time like this, Hearts need all the fans we can get.

could be worse. Imagine you were Brazilian?... you?d be a Hibs fan!

Totally agree, also when it comes to following our team in Europe we are up there with the best, a trully magnificent support abroad.

Great point. The Hearts support never fails to deliver on euro trips. The Sheep will also never have the romance that Heart of Midlothian has.

could be worse. Imagine you were Brazilian?... you?d be a Hibs fan!

Fortunately, I am a Uruguayan in spirit. :)

winston churchill
Ha ha. I imagine any Jambo would give his right arm for a "wee purple patch" like that. If you had won a European Trophy in the 80's, I doubt that trains would arrive at Waverley, they would arrive at the John Robertson Station.

Remember, we managed to put out Bayern, not just beat them at home and then bugger up the 2nd leg.

Surely you don't want to talk about that match.....

On the larger topic, I have been impressed by the consistent home crowds you lot have attracted in the last 3/4 years. However, as some of the HMFC posters have admitted on here, I'd still contend that AFC's away support is bigger then HMFC's.

Regarding the posters who say that it's all glory hunting 80's wannabees from the Central belt:

a) At least they have a reasonable reason to support us, rather than the family ties of the Bigot Brothers

B) Even if they are based down there, presumably they have to make the same journeys to games you do. I would say it much easier for you lot to get to away games than us

and here's me thinking this thread was about your mythical support.

as for talking about that game.again your support was gash,

Nelly Terraces

The amount of Coddies who are in their late 30 and into 40's that live in the central belt is amazing. Total gloryhunters from back in the day when Kajagoogoo were at number 1, and Betamax videos were cutting edge.

They will die out like the dinosaurs that mob. Then they'll be left with **** all.

AFC - a total irrelevance. Seem to have a problem wi us though, which is good. We must be doing something right.

The size of the away support is to Aberdeen what flair, European 'Tradition', floodlights and youth is to Hibernian.

Which is to say, a mythologised and over-stated 'facet' of their club which they and their fans cling to - often obsessively - to make themselves feel bigger and more important than they are.

Absolutely correct.

Fortunately, I am a Uruguayan in spirit. :)

That explains why you are Jambo then - Uruguay?s best days were in the 30s and 40s weren?t they, and been starved of success for decades at a time since! :laugh:

That explains why you are Jambo then - Uruguay?s best days were in the 30s and 40s weren?t they, and been starved of success for decades at a time since! :laugh:

Exactly. VAMOS URUGUAY!

MacDonald Jardine

What reasonable reason? That they're gloryhunters?

Great point. The Hearts support never fails to deliver on euro trips. The Sheep will also never have the romance that Heart of Midlothian has.

Game over imoa.

Archived