As many Man U fans in Scotland as Hearts fans?

heartscat

From allmediascotland.com website, comes this quote in an interview with Mark Hollinshead, the MD of the Daily Record, Sunday Mail, Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and People, where he's talking about the Scottish Daily Mirror's English football coverage.

Just the other evening, I tabled that very point to Scotland's top football writer, Jim Traynor: there are as many Scots interested in Man Utd as there are in Hearts.

Well, is he right? Just wondered what people thought.

the full interview can be found here

Im interested in alot of teams from many different countries, if he said... 'support' Man Utd as support Hearts then hed be totally wrong but by saying interested he's not really saying very much IMO.

Granted I havent read the article so he may actually say support in it and if thats the case scrap the above comment.

Not really interested in any Englandshire team. BUT I will watch a game on the box. Only I won't miss out on something else just to see it.

If you add up the number of people 'interested' (to use his rather peculiar term) in non- Old Firm teams in Scotland, it would be more than those 'interested' in the Old Firm...yet his papers still give the gruesome twosome every back page (unless, of course, there's a negative story about Hearts....)

So his logic is flawed.

In Britain as a whole there are a lot of people 'interested' in Man U - many of them the sort of fans who couldn't tell you how to get to Old Trafford.

I agree, his logic is flawed, I thought it was a strange thing to say, but he's trying to justify culling all the Scottish Daily Mirror staff to just one female news reporter. Although i hardly see how he does that by stating that the papers only strength is in its coverage of English football!

I'd have to agree, ,more people are 'interested' in Man U than both the Old Firm put together, but interested is indeed an odd choice of word.

Archived