The Hearts Song

Stuart Lyon

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I didn't know that until a couple of years ago. I was watching Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and nearly fell off my seat when the tune to The Hearts Song came on.

Charlie-Brown

It's a melody comprised of bits from 'sweet betsy from pike, the hymn 'blessed assurance' and 'the hippo-potamus song'.

theres also an old cowboy film where the locals are singing in the church and the song is also to the Hearts tune.....maybe buffalo bill heard it before his 1902 trip around europe

The musical notation of "stranger in cork" doesn't fit the tune of the hearts song as far as i can see. It has a similar rhythymic pattern but doesnt appear to have the same melody line.

The musical notation of "stranger in cork" doesn't fit the tune of the hearts song as far as i can see. It has a similar rhythymic pattern but doesnt appear to have the same melody line.

What he said.

Jimmy McNulty

Anyone got the Hearts song (old version, not the 80s version) on mp3? PM me please, as I would love a copy.

theres also an old cowboy film where the locals are singing in the church and the song is also to the Hearts tune.....maybe buffalo bill heard it before his 1902 trip around europe

The most bizarre rendition is in the film Night Passage when James Stewart plays the tune on an accordion.

jamboinglasgow

I remember hearing an episode of Round the Horne, where Kenneth Williams sings the old folk verson with added words that sound dirty but aren't, "he scrangled his warblers."

Suspect Device
The tune for the Hearts song is shared by this folk song!

http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/displaysong.php?songid=611

sorry if it has been mentioned before.

was in Bairds Bar one 17th March ;)

it could well have been this song that came on the jukebox, when the corus started you could easilytell the Hearts fans that were there to see SLF (some hibbys too) :laugh:

the song / tune is also in the film Oliver, just as we first meet Bill Sykes and Bulldog - they are walking over the river/wooden boards to the pub and everyone is belting out the 'Hearts Song' and dancing :D

Archived