Staff due wages

Paolo

I read an intersting article in the Metro this morning. It was very small and tucked away in the bottom corner of the page.

Essentially it said over 8,000 NHS staff, in Scotland, are still waiting on back pay, and around 16,000 are still waiting to be moved into the correct salary band.

Now, unless, possibly, you are a Hearts fan, and even if you are, surely this should be a more prominent story than a few footballers not getting paid, but it barely gets a mention.

Hearts do not pay wages (wrongly, I Know) but it is front page, back page, 5 page pull-out, RAdio Scotland and Frontline Scotland special, well just about.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I read an intersting article in the Metro this morning. It was very small and tucked away in the bottom corner of the page.

Essentially it said over 8,000 NHS staff, in Scotland, are still waiting on back pay, and around 16,000 are still waiting to be moved into the correct salary band.

Now, unless, possibly, you are a Hearts fan, and even if you are, surely this should be a more prominent story than a few footballers not getting paid, but it barely gets a mention.

Hearts do not pay wages (wrongly, I Know) but it is front page, back page, 5 page pull-out, RAdio Scotland and Frontline Scotland special, well just about.

I've no idea if this is related to Agenda for Change or not, but I know my wife, when she was employed by NHS Fife, waited for 2.5 years before this was sorted.

Everyone that works for City of Edinburgh Council is waiting on back pay. Pay increase due on 1 April 2008 still not paid. Lots' of other authorities and companies across the UK in the same position, they just don't have the Daily Ranger hounding them.

It's a bit different from the Hearts case because in about 2004 the NHS changed salary bandings for jobs but did not change the staff over to them. This back pay is what is owed due to the difference between the wage on the old band and the wage on the new. It was not that they were not paid at all as was the case with Hearts.

It was also reported on the scottish news, i think it was yesterday evening I saw it, so it is fairly prominent news, though I agree the reporting on Hearts problems was OTT.

the voice from above

I know a girl who's been waiting on her back pay from NHS for at least 8 months.

Also on a similar theme, the company I work for (a national company and household name) currently owe suppliers in excess of 700 grand in outstanding invoices, these invoices haven't been paid for no reason other than pure incompetence from our accounts.

Everyone that works for City of Edinburgh Council is waiting on back pay. Pay increase due on 1 April 2008 still not paid. Lots' of other authorities and companies across the UK in the same position, they just don't have the Daily Ranger hounding them.

I work for the council and I the increase hasn't quite been agreed yet,our union UNISON voted to accept the increase but the two others unions rejected it so we have been told it's unclear when exactly it will go through, so we're not really expecting the money at the moment.

Someone I know who works for HMRC was telling me on Sat that her next case is to tackle the unpaid tax that Hamilton FC are due them - over ?300k she said.

Imagine if that was Hearts.

Vlad in Queen Fraud shocker.

Drylaw Hearts
Someone I know who works for HMRC was telling me on Sat that her next case is to tackle the unpaid tax that Hamilton FC are due them - over ?300k she said.

Imagine if that was Hearts.

Vlad in Queen Fraud shocker.

First it was dodgy Beatles records.....

Queen_band.jpg

I'm off to find an NHS messageboard.

When you find it post a link.

I'd like to tell them how embarrassed I am. :o

Guest JamboRobbo
When you find it post a link.

I'd like to tell them how embarrassed I am. :o

Why get embarrased? If you don't like it, you can go get your healthcare elsewhere instead of moaning about it on a football forum.

Aye it will be there change of agenda pay that they are waiting on

its a joke how long people have to wait for it i work for the nhs and a got mine last christmas but the driver in my department is still waiting on his

Thunderstruck
I work for the council and I the increase hasn't quite been agreed yet,our union UNISON voted to accept the increase but the two others unions rejected it so we have been told it's unclear when exactly it will go through, so we're not really expecting the money at the moment.

Most councils will follow COSLA advice and pay arrears before Christmas.

No matter how long they are having to wait, at least they are GETTING back pay! Sodding agenda for change has got me on a pay freeze with not even cost of living increases for the forseeable future :(

Whole thing has been a shambles tbh, they have been working on it since Oct 04 and still no real end in sight!

Whole thing was designed for clinical staff but used to assess clerical aswell??

Its very different from hearts as said it relates to cost of living rise which is yet to be agreed or a rebanding.

They will get these monies once it is agreed, hearts just didnt pay anyone any of their wage.

As for invoices being due, its not unusual for companies to owe thousands or even be overdue, its a completely different matter continually being taken to court for them,

It's a completly different thing, the process of negotiating pay rises etc is not instandt and needs to be agreed with Unions.

Now if the NHS and Council staff didn't recieve any wages, that would be a direct comparison. At the end of the day Hearts inability to pay their staff is not a minor issue blowing up by the press, it's a disgrace and a PR disaster for a club already facing numerous court cases due to failure to pay suppliers etc.

Drylaw Hearts
May I suggest the Samaratines would be more to your liking?

You can suggest anything you like.

However.......

I'll stick around here spreading my wisdom for a wee while yet if it's ok with you.

Most councils will follow COSLA advice and pay arrears before Christmas.

Weekly paid staff are getting back pay form 1st April this week

Salaried staff next week

I think JR has hit upon the right response to this disgraceful situation with the NHS!!!

Let's boycott hospitals, GP's, et al!!!

Gordon Brown - Get away back to - - er, Scotland!!!

On second thoughts, just stay in London!!!

Weekly paid staff are getting back pay form 1st April this week

Salaried staff next week

Not at Scottish Borders Council - they're not paying out until the dispute is settled.

I think JR has hit upon the right response to this disgraceful situation with the NHS!!!

Let's boycott hospitals, GP's, et al!!!

Gordon Brown - Get away back to - - er, Scotland!!!

On second thoughts, just stay in London!!!

Correct .............I'll not be going back to my GP till we get rid of that Fife-uanian Bampot Brown

Its very different from hearts as said it relates to cost of living rise which is yet to be agreed or a rebanding.

They will get these monies once it is agreed, hearts just didnt pay anyone any of their wage.

As for invoices being due, its not unusual for companies to owe thousands or even be overdue, its a completely different matter continually being taken to court for them,

So it is wrong for Hearts to muck about their highly paid staff, ut right for the NHS to p!ss about their staff, many of whom are on low wages despite working their arses off then?

My point was Hearts have messed about with wages and it has been major news, one of Britains biggest employers, a Government dpeartment effectively, mess about their staff, the staff who help save people's lives and it gets barely a section in the paper - hardly anyone bats an eyelid.

So it is wrong for Hearts to muck about their highly paid staff, ut right for the NHS to p!ss about their staff, many of whom are on low wages despite working their arses off then?

My point was Hearts have messed about with wages and it has been major news, one of Britains biggest employers, a Government dpeartment effectively, mess about their staff, the staff who help save people's lives and it gets barely a section in the paper - hardly anyone bats an eyelid.

Maybe no one is batting an eyelid because the nurses have never been out of pocket and are getting paid on time every time ?

Its completely different.

The NHS are analysing and backdating thousands of regradings based over several years whilst doing their current workload, of course its going to take time. I am sure if your all happy to take no wages until they sort it they could do it a bit quicker. Those involved probably should just count themselves lucky it got backdated at all and there getting it. They are still paying their contractual obligations each month.

Hearts didnt pay anyone at all.

NHS minor story about lack of resources, Hearts major story about gross incompetence, and possible serious cash flow issues.

I know which one I would go with if I was a newspaper editor:mw_rolleyes:

Its completely different.

The NHS are analysing and backdating thousands of regradings based over several years whilst doing their current workload, of course its going to take time. I am sure if your all happy to take no wages until they sort it they could do it a bit quicker. Those involved probably should just count themselves lucky it got backdated at all and there getting it. They are still paying their contractual obligations each month.

Hearts didnt pay anyone at all.

NHS minor story about lack of resources, Hearts major story about gross incompetence, and possible serious cash flow issues.

I know which one I would go with if I was a newspaper editor:mw_rolleyes:

And so do I, but it is the one that in reality is of less interest to the overall general public.

Archived