Wasted Talent

JT Wooks

Who's that 1 player that filled you with hope and excitement who had bags of ability but just somehow never quite made it or lived upto the hype???

badly drawn boy
Who's that 1 player that filled you with hope and excitement who had bags of ability but just somehow never quite made it or lived upto the hype???

Me

Always remember the screamer PM scored against Killie and his role in the 5-1 game too !!

Seems to still be scoring a few decent goals too.

I think we pinned our hopes on Tommy Harrison for about 8 years back in the day. Truth was he was never up to it.

He was in my sisters year at Gracemount, unbelievable talent he was, think it all went to his head though. Sandy Robertson was either in that year or the year above too.

In a way chesney

Has never really lived upto that debut goal.

Internally generated would be Janczyk, Hamill or McMullan - all 3 looked like they could be class and are now strutting their stuff in the SFL/Juniors

I am actually amazed Paul McMullan has dropped as far as Glenavon, he really looked class

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
In a way chesney

Has never really lived upto that debut goal.

Internally generated would be Janczyk, Hamill or McMullan - all 3 looked like they could be class and are now strutting their stuff in the SFL/Juniors

I am actually amazed Paul McMullan has dropped as far as Glenavon, he really looked class

Who?! Jesus that is some fall from grace.

Had mega attitude problems apparently. Certainly not lacking in talent.

Allan Johnston.

Fantastic 95/96 season was sadly, the highlight of his career, aged 22.

Buffalo Bill

The Marooney Meister

Kevin Thomas for me also.

I remember him destroying Rangers in the youth cup final that Hearts won and breaking into the full team soon after. Got a horrible injury that he never fully recovered from and then got caught up in that famous incident with George O'Boyle when at St Johnstone.

:evilno:

I'd agree with Paul McMullan. Thought he was going to be great. He stayed with my mum's friend for a while as well. Back when the young players would stay with people in Edinburgh. Had a few problems with his dad etc.

He's been at a few clubs since he left Hearts. Seems to have been a gradual decline down the divisions until the juniors.

Another one for me is Stephen Simmons. I remember my dad telling me about him when he was only 14. Think his Rangers supporting mate had seen him play in some youth competition and said he was going to be brilliant.

Its actually a team called Glenafton (Glenavon are irish) who are a junior team in the west league.

http://members.tripod.com/bob_newcumnock/glenafton/squad/index.html

Even with attitude problems its amazing he has gone down that far as he did look up there with Naysmith when he played.

Does look like a total jake though. Most of his teammates look like they are on weekend release, Joe Savage the one next to McMullan got sacked by a club last season for assaulting an opponent in the SFL.

As far as not living up to the hype goes, no-one compares to Mirsad Beslija.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Vladimir Romaonv.

Well, he fancies himself as a player.

Hope he is better at fecking playing than he is at running HMFC...

Pinillia and bez both have to be up there.

Pini was wasted talent in the truest sense as he caused his own downfall. If he'd got his head sorted and tried hard think we all know he couldve been a great player for us.

Bez hasn't lived up to his price tag, be it due to injuries, work ethic or just not cutting it.

also from the current crop to some extent Makela. came with a fantastic goal ratio and obviously just isn't up to it.

scott herbertson

Kevin Hegarty - more talented than Paul, but Paul had a steadier head and made the most of what he had, and was better managed

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Going back a bit but - Rab Prentice. Couldnae half play but never really made the most of his talent.

Its actually a team called Glenafton (Glenavon are irish) who are a junior team in the west league.

http://members.tripod.com/bob_newcumnock/glenafton/squad/index.html

Even with attitude problems its amazing he has gone down that far as he did look up there with Naysmith when he played.

Does look like a total jake though. Most of his teammates look like they are on weekend release, Joe Savage the one next to McMullan got sacked by a club last season for assaulting an opponent in the SFL.

Willie Howie - Champo Legend from many moons ago - and Craig Feroz play there too.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
Going back a bit but - Rab Prentice. Couldnae half play but never really made the most of his talent.

Yes, he was one of my first Jambo idols.

In all honesty he was a one season wonder, but definitely in the flawed (very near) genius stakes.

have to agree with other posters. Kevin Thomas would have been a great player for probably many years if he hadn't picked up that horrible knee injury .I remember wincing when it happened. His knee actually bent backwards but he remarkably tried to play on !

Pinillia and bez both have to be up there.

Pini was wasted talent in the truest sense as he caused his own downfall. If he'd got his head sorted and tried hard think we all know he couldve been a great player for us.

Bez hasn't lived up to his price tag, be it due to injuries, work ethic or just not cutting it.

also from the current crop to some extent Makela. came with a fantastic goal ratio and obviously just isn't up to it.

Apparently doing quite well for Vasco de Gama in Brazil, though he has recently picked up a thigh injury Quelle surprise

Libertonian_II

When I saw the title of this thread, that's the guy I first thought of.

Wayne Foster, what else did he do other than score that winning goal against the Hibees.......come to think same goes for wee weir with his two goal in minute. One was no very good the other didn't progress enough.

I hate to say this because am mates with his brother but Kris O'neil really thought kris was going to ma make it especially after ripping amorouso a new 1 at ibrox

Stan Collymore

Had it all as a player. Pace, strength, size, ability in the air, great with both feet, could score all types of goals.

Other issues unfortunately cost him a great career.

My wee brother W:Dilly made it to captain the mighty Whitehill Welfare, surely the nex step was the San Giro! But no, ne's now still a bloody kitchen fitter.

Charlie-Brown

Gary Parker was a demon wee striker in Hearts reserves but he was never going to dislodge Robbo so instead decided to become a Scottish International rugby player and field-goal kicker for the Scottish Claymores but he was also a really good football player.

Tommy Harrison - signed as an outstanding youth prospect - what a let down when he finally made it into the first team.

Christ Gordon Dalziel is their manager too... now that is a fall!:mw_rolleyes:

Stan Collymore

Had it all as a player. Pace, strength, size, ability in the air, great with both feet, could score all types of goals.

Other issues unfortunately cost him a great career.

Spot on there.

Anybody remember Tony Queen ?? I remember him starring in a Scotland game against Engerland I remember an article in the Sunday Times after this game (Queen of Hearts) whatever happened to him ??

berrathanhibs

andy kirk. hwen he was in the reserves he scored for fun and was going to be our next king of hearts

rudi must stay

Joe Hammill. Looked a brilliant player for us on his day but usually he did nothing in games and ended up getting subbed

Gary Parker was a demon wee striker in Hearts reserves but he was never going to dislodge Robbo so instead decided to become a Scottish International rugby player and field-goal kicker for the Scottish Claymores but he was also a really good football player.

Yeah i went to school with Gary (John Collins was the year below us) and he was on a different level than the rest of us but i think when he signed for Hearts he thought he had arrived and wee Doddy never liked big heids :)

Archived