Great Hearts Picture Thread

wibble

From London Hearts - Pte. Patrick James 'Paddy' Crossan. Twice wounded and gassed at least once. a Robust and popular player who returned to play for several seasons. Earned two testimonials.

Later opened a pub in Rose Street Edinburgh. Died suddenly in 1933 in his fortieth year.

Embodies the spirit of the club if you ask me.....

scan0002.jpg

Another cracker of Paddy Crossan. There are so many cards of this guy he must have been up there as an all time legend.

PCrossan.jpg

all these pics are cards etc. that I picked up over the years. If anyone wants a more accurate scan, let me know.

A big thanks to Melbourne Jambo (and others) for posting these.

I have to say that of all the olde Hearts players (from the 50s) it is John Cumming that I hold in highest regard. I remember him being especially nice to me when I was a wee boy, and his committment to Hearts as player and trainer was immense.

I met him after the 1998 cup final and made a point of shaking his hand and telling him how much I admired and respected him.

Its good to see a positive thread on Kickback.

Remember Dave Clunie being in some of the first Hearts teams I ever saw, but don't recall him ever doing anything very memorable ..

scan0020.jpg

Stuart Clarke's Homes of Football site has a great picture looking along the old stand against Zeljenicar (sp) and pic from the early 90's of fans leaving the old McCleod Street end.

Its a great wee museum that has loads of great pictures of football grounds pre Hillsborough. Its in Ambleside in the Lake District. Well worth a visit if you over that way.

Don't know too much about Williw Wilson but going by the year could also have been a MaCraes man.

scan0007.jpg

Pte. Willie R. Wilson. Returned to playing until 1923 though constantly troubled with a problem shoulder. This suffered with the recoil of the rifle but while it limited his active service, as did trench fever, it probably saved his life. He was the first, but not the last, Hearts player to score three goals at Ibrox in the 4-0 win over the Rangers. He died in 1956, another great year for the Hearts.

A big thanks to Melbourne Jambo (and others) for posting these.

I have to say that of all the olde Hearts players (from the 50s) it is John Cumming that I hold in highest regard. I remember him being especially nice to me when I was a wee boy, and his commitment to Hearts as player and trainer was immense.

I met him after the 1998 cup final and made a point of shaking his hand and telling him how much I admired and respected him.

Its good to see a positive thread on Kickback.

Agreed! John Cumming was always willing to speak to any kid watching. I used to watch him lead the reserves quite often and he got respect from all involved.

Hearts Heritage
He was the first, but not the last, Hearts player to score three goals at Ibrox in the 4-0 win over the Rangers. He died in 1956, another great year for the Hearts.

A wee quiz. Name the others?

IMG_2441.jpg[/img]

I have the full newspaper from that day but it sits in a box to protect it so I have a framed copy of the cover on the wall.

Sorry for the picture quality this is the actual newspaper not the copy on the wall.

Hans von Luck
IMG_2441.jpg[/img]

I have the full newspaper from that day but it sits in a box to protect it so I have a framed copy of the cover on the wall.

Sorry for the picture quality this is the actual newspaper not the copy on the wall.

Best one yet by a mile. :thumbs_up:

Hearts Heritage
Here's an article from the 1955 Edinburgh Year book. Never seen this anywhere else.

Loads of similar here

hb1905-51_01.jpg

hb1955_01.jpg

hb01.jpg

What a brilliant 'thread'! Well done MJ for starting it off. A lot of it brings back some great memories.:clap:

Visited this place yesterday - as near as I could to where I was standing that night.

If only JC had tucked that one away at the far end.

SDC10315_thumb.JPG

Archived