Euro 2016 possible joint Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland bid

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Interesting idea, ten stadia needed, and may use Tynecastle I reckon.

Though something annoyed me when I was listening to the story break on five live today, rather then say its good such a bid is being considered, they started a immediate phone in to ask "how will this affect Englands 2018 world cup bid."

Was amazed that was the angle they went.

Though imagine that if all these bids won what an exciting 6 years that would be.

London olympics (2012) - Glasgow Commonwealth games (2014) - Celtic Euro 2016- England world cup (2018)

Though something annoyed me when I was listening to the story break on five live today, rather then say its good such a bid is being considered, they started a immediate phone in to ask "how will this affect Englands 2018 world cup bid."

I heard that too. Disappointing that they instantly related it to WC2018 but they need to make their phone-in money somehow.

Though imagine that if all these bids won what an exciting 6 years that would be.

London olympics (2012) - Glasgow Commonwealth games (2014) - Celtic Euro 2016- England world cup (2018)

Britain's 'Golden Decade' apparently...

wikipedia.org's Major_sports_event_hosting_in_Britain_during_the_2010s article

Geoff Kilpatrick

Northern Ireland can't offer anything to this proposal. The Maze stadium project has turned into a political football.

It just won't happen. It's difficult enough having the SFA organise anything without having the three associations squabbling over the details. Not sure that they could, even between them, cope with capacity, especially with an expanded finals.

About as Exciting as a Hibs v Morton Game in a Rain Soaked Cappilow on a miserable January Saturday!!

And it won't Happen...Fact, End Off!!

Guest S.U.S.S.

So do they let all hosts qualify?

Not workable imo, go it alone or with one other max.

(i appreciate the alone option is not really viable)

So do they let all hosts qualify?

Not workable imo, go it alone or with one other max.

(i appreciate the alone option is not really viable)

With 24 qualifiers it would not be a problem

Think we would stand more of a chance with a joint bid with Rep. Ireland rather than there Nothern brothers

Why?

Why?

Croke Park and a redeveloped Lansdowne road make it 2-0 to the south in the most viable option contest.

I'd imagine Northern Ireland will be dropped pretty quickly. They bring very little to the party. I worry that they are being included because they don't think it is possible for us and Wales to get the requisite stadiums together. That would be a worrying start to our bid especially considering the last one (2008 Sco&Irl) was derailed in-part due to Irelands inability to commit to having enough stadia.

My thoughts on potential stadiums...

Scotland

---------

Murrayfield

Hampden

Celtic Park

Tynecastle (or ER) *

Aberdeen **

Dundee **

Inverness *

Wales

--------

Millenium Stadium

A.N.Other *

That gives only 9 and we'd probably need 10 so it'll be difficult to achieve

* = extension

** = new stadium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_2016

I'd imagine Northern Ireland will be dropped pretty quickly. They bring very little to the party. I worry that they are being included because they don't think it is possible for us and Wales to get the requisite stadiums together. That would be a worrying start to our bid especially considering the last one (2008 Sco&Irl) was derailed in-part due to Irelands inability to commit to having enough stadia.

Scotland

---------

Murrayfield

Hampden

Celtic Park

Tynecastle (or ER) *

Aberdeen **

Dundee **

Inverness *

Wales

--------

Millenium Stadium

A.N.Other *

* = extension

** = new stadium

Swansea, Ninian Park and some of the rugger grounds could be used too.

Cardiff City. Ground Name: Ninian Park Capacity: 20,376 ... The club are well underway with the building of a new 30000 capacity stadium, ...

Swansea Ground Name: Liberty Stadium Capacity: 20500 (all seated)

Needs to be 40.000 .

Why?

Because am pretty sure that Ireland would be able to have 3-4 decent size Stadiums built compared to the 2-3 that Wales would have. Plus Wales is a **** hole and its full of Welsh

Prince Buaben

Is it not that its one stadium per city? I.E instead of the game being at the Tynecastle it would be billed as Edinburgh meaning that between Scotland and Wales theres a Grand total of 3 stadiums avaliable Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cardiff. If that is the case teams like Aberdeen,Dundee(wither one),Kilmarnock and maybe St Johnstone(casue its perth) from Scotland and Swansea from Wales would recieve money for the ugrades to the stadiums to bring them in line meaning only 8 stadiums.

Rules for 2008 stadia:

All eight had to have above 30,000 seats, with three above 40,000 and a 4-star rating, one of those three requiring 50,000 seats and a 5-star rating.

Extrapolating that for 2016:

All eleven have to have above 30,000 seats, with five above 40,000 and a 4-star rating, two of those five requiring 50,000 seats and a 5-star rating.

(Assuming 11 stadia)

For Euro2016 I'd expect the limit to remain at a maximum of 2 stadiums per city. If it went to 3 per city it would help us (Glasgow and/or Edinburgh) but also help other potential bidders. e.g. Greece or Turkey.

The Liberty Stadium (shared by the Ospreys & Swansea City) could be extended.

Cardiff City are set to leave Ninian Park to share a new stadium (to be built) with the rugby team, Cardiff Blues.

If the Welsh need to bring one more into the equation, they could look at extending the Parc y Scarlets which the rugby team Llanelli have just moved into.

jamboinglasgow

Scotland

---------

Murrayfield

Hampden

Celtic Park

Tynecastle (or ER) *

Aberdeen **

Dundee **

Inverness *

Wales

--------

Millenium Stadium

A.N.Other *

* = extension

** = new stadium

agree with that but you forgot Ibrox, a 51,000 seater stadium (a uefa 5 star stadium according to my rangers flatmate)

agree with that but you forgot Ibrox, a 51,000 seater stadium (a uefa 5 star stadium according to my rangers flatmate)

You can Use Ipox but you can't count all 3 stadiums .

Only 2 can be counted in one city.

Aberdeen

Dundee

Kilmarnock

Edinburgh 2

Glasgow 2

7 stadiums

It should be up to who every else to make the numbers up.

It's all getting a bit silly now. :o

Joint bids from two countries are bad enough, one that involves three countries is just laughable. Still, I suppose it's the only way the three prospective hosts would qualify.

Romanov Stole My Pension

I'd rather Scotland just went for it ourselves. How many stadiums do we need.

Murrayfield

Parkhead

Ibrox

Hampden

Tynie with new main stand and new school end.

Aberdeen will be building a new stadium soon.

Possibly a ground-share for the Dundee clubs

Aberdeen will be building a new stadium soon.

They won't. Here's the situation....

The cod heads secured a refinancing package from the bank (pre credit crunch!) on the basis that they would sell Pit Tawdry by March 2011.

The cod heads did this on the assumption that they would partner Aberdeen City Council in the development of a "Community Stadium".

Since then, Aberdeen City Council has been found to have a serious hole in its finances. Basically they are struggling to keep stuff like bin collections going, never mind build the fabled Community Stadium. In addition, the credit crunch has severely hit construction companies such as Wiggy Homes. Wiggy wasn't prepared to bail the cod heads out in pre credit crunch days (hence the bank refinancing package), so there's absolutely no danger he'll do it now.

Aberdeen are goosed and will have to become tenants of someone like Inverness, Peterhead or Forres Mechanics. Happy, happy days. :)

Three countries making a joint bid?

Why don't they just ask the whole of Northern Europe and then we can all qualify automatically.

We could have Torshavn, Reykjavik, Belfast and Balamory hosting the quarter finals.

Buffalo Bill

Why don't they just ask the whole of Northern Europe and then we can all qualify automatically.

We could have Torshavn, Reykjavik, Belfast and Balamory hosting the quarter finals.

Buffalo Bill

Aye but do you think that PC Plum could handle the policing himself or would he need to call on reinforcements from the mainland? :)

jamboinglasgow

turns out it is not all three doing a joint bid but either Scotland and wales or Scotland and N. Ireland.

I'd love to see Miss Hoolie battling her counterparts from other countries. ;)

Buffalo Bill

The arc of football.......................

Geoff Kilpatrick

So, with UK government debt sitting at 8% of GDP after Brown and Darling have screwed everything up and the Olympics not getting any more money, where's the extra spending on the road and rail infrastructure coming from?

I can't understand why this government, both side of the border, seems obsessed with hosting massively expensive parties for other nations to visit. Everything in this country takes twice as long and costs double the price to produce than most nations. The country is swimming in debt and we want to bring more expense?

Saying that, if grants allow Hearts to fund more development of their stadium I'll accept it. I won't be happy if it allows Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee teams, Kilmarnock to steal a march on us in terms of invrastructure and stadium development. Why should we pay when they'll get grants???

Tynecastle may be well be suited to get funding because VR has purchased surrounding land and has initiated the planning for future development. Easter Road would surely struggle because they sold their surrounding land last time we failed in a Euro bid.

Scotland

---------

Murrayfield

Hampden

Celtic Park

Tynecastle (or ER) *

Aberdeen **

Dundee **

Inverness *

Wales

--------

Millenium Stadium

A.N.Other *

* = extension

** = new stadium

I think that your suggestions are not too far off. However, how many stadia are required for such a bid? If it is 24 teams I would suggest that you would need 12 grounds.

Scotland could provide nine IMO, ten if we had a purpose built ground for the occasion. Those named above, with Ibrox and Tynecastle AND Easter Road. You could have Scotlands group playing at Hampden/Murrayfield, with an Edinburgh group, a north group and a Glasgow group (the dirty two grounds) Leaving the Dundee stadium and the purpose built one for the last group. That would be based on a 20 team tournament.

If we do it with Wales we ain't gettin the opening ceremony or final, which would take alot of the attention off us as host despite us contributing more.

jamboinglasgow
We'd get opening game and 1 semi for Hampden probably.

Millenium for final.

I think it should be Hampden for the final, we should not accept anything else, we are the bigger country.

Is it not that its one stadium per city? I.E instead of the game being at the Tynecastle it would be billed as Edinburgh meaning that between Scotland and Wales theres a Grand total of 3 stadiums avaliable Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cardiff. If that is the case teams like Aberdeen,Dundee(wither one),Kilmarnock and maybe St Johnstone(casue its perth) from Scotland and Swansea from Wales would recieve money for the ugrades to the stadiums to bring them in line meaning only 8 stadiums.

And that is the big problem. What utter folly it would be for Scotland to have 3 or 4 extra sports stadiums with a seating capacity of 30-40,000. 2 of the 4 we already have make no money as it is.

Archived