Pearce interested in Driver

redm

The kid deserves it - huge prospect and I wish him all the best

My fav player by a country mile

England U21 boss Stuart Pearce today revealed that Hearts star Andrew Driver is firmly on his radar.

The former international defender was at Tynecastle on Saturday to see the 20-year-old help the Jambos gun down Rangers as Csaba Laszlo's side posted their fifth successive victory in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

The youngster has been touted for a call-up to Pearce's squad, with the England U21s involved in the finals of the European Championships in Sweden next summer.

Talking exclusively to Hearts News Today, the former left-back, who was capped 78 times for his country, revealed that Saturday was the third occasion he had watched the Gorgie flying machine.

"Yes, I was at Tynecastle on Saturday to watch Andrew Driver," he said.

"It is the third time I have seen him play. Any player who is playing first team football in a top league is on my radar. I do my job thoroughly and get on planes to go wherever it takes to see players.

"He's a young lad who is in the age group and doing well for his club."

The former Nottingham Forest star, who is also an assistant coach to Fabio Capello, had scouts at the recent game against Falkirk and glowing reports about Andrew's wonder solo goal were soon deposited on his desk at the Football Association.

Stuart wouldn't be drawn on the chances of the Tynecastle star earning a call-up, though, pointing out that competition is fierce in that particular area of the team.

However, he pinpointed the rapid rise of Aston Villa star Ashley Young on the international stage as to an example of how quickly fortunes can change.

Young, who as a 21-year-old cost Villa ?9.75million from Watford, was called up to the full England squad under Steve McLaren less than a year after making his U21 debut.

"I wasn't at the Falkirk match but our scouts were there and said he scored an outstanding goal," said Pearce.

"There are a lot of good players in his position but a lot can happen in that age group. Just look at what happened to Ashley Young."

Should add value as well!

After reading the article I'd be surprised if he did get a call up but would be over the moon if he did.

Well done Andy.

On the negative side, it could encourage Driver to seek a January move to England, under the thinking that playing well in the EPL/Championship would be better for a call up.

On the negative side, it could encourage Driver to seek a January move to England, under the thinking that playing well in the EPL/Championship would be better for a call up.

Which would mean a big payday for Hearts.

So its a positive then.

loveofthegame

Can do his confidence no harm at least.

See where you're coming from Prancer, but AD seems to me to be a sensible enough lad with his head screwed on, hopefully he realises that 1st team football at Hearts is of more value than rotting in the reserves elsewhere.

Commander Harris

pearce has said (and shown by his actions) that he's prepared to have a look at anyone playing in a top league that is in his age group, seems he's watched him a couple of times and had scouts at games too.

Given that, Driver might be reassured that in staying at Hearts for a while longer he'll not be ignored by the U21s set up down south and that if he is good enough he'll get his chance.

jamboinglasgow
Should add value as well!

After reading the article I'd be surprised if he did get a call up but would be over the moon if he did.

Well done Andy.

can see him being called into the squad, but maybe not play.

Though next match is march so a bit of time to wait.

Nelly Terraces

Yeah, real downer having quality players in our squad good enough to be considered for the England U21's.:rolleyes:

I'm gutted.

Yeah, real downer having quality players in our squad good enough to be considered for the England U21's.:rolleyes:

I'm gutted.

Did you actually read my post?:rolleyes:

This is really excellent news and the positive vibes resulting from it will hopefully percolate through the club and our youngsters. Keep up the good work Andy! :)

A big "Well done" to Andy Driver, a great example for the other youngsters to follow

Also good work from SP being prepared to watch prospective players wherever they are and not deriding Scottish football as so many have done in the past.

Im on prancers side here. He's only pointing out that other clubs could see January as a chance to nick him on the cheap (compared with IF he does start to play for Eng's U-21s) and thus, deny Hearts our main attacking threat for the rest of the season.

Im off to lie down now.

The only negative thing is that it's not Scotland U21...them's the breaks...

Andy comes across as a genuinely nice and decent guy, and you can hear how embarrassed he gets when receiving praise so I hope this gives him a wee bit of a swagger. A slightly cocky Driver would be a real menace on the pitch....

Think we need to calm down a bit. He's only being linked with the England u21 side, not even made a squad. That people should be thinking clubs in England will be trying to get him cheaply from us on the back of being watched by Pearce is a bit silly.

As for Driver, he has to up his game when being watched. I thought he looked inhibited during the second half on Saturday after he heard Pearce was there. Broadfoot ought to be a defender whom Driver turns inside out but Andy seems shy of really going at him. I remember twice shouting for him to get at Broadfoot only for him to hold back...

The kid deserves it - huge prospect and I wish him all the best

My fav player by a country mile

I know you're a big fan of blondes, but this is surely taking it too far...

Think we need to calm down a bit. He's only being linked with the England u21 side, not even made a squad. That people should be thinking clubs in England will be trying to get him cheaply from us on the back of being watched by Pearce is a bit silly.

As for Driver, he has to up his game when being watched. I thought he looked inhibited during the second half on Saturday after he heard Pearce was there. Broadfoot ought to be a defender whom Driver turns inside out but Andy seems shy of really going at him. I remember twice shouting for him to get at Broadfoot only for him to hold back...

No ones saying cheaply necessary, my thinking is, say in January a top championship or an EPL club come in for him, lets just ignore price, and the decision is upto Driver. I just think the fact he knows Pearce has him on his radar, he might decide that if he goes down south he will have more chance of impressing and forcing himself into the squad, than if he turns it down and stays at Hearts.

MackaysCentreSpot

I thought it was common knowledge that Pearce was looking at Driver.

So whats the big hullabaloo now.

another positive news story.

the boy has done good... i would prefer to read "SFA step up in the hunt to have Andy Driver commit to Scotland"

Scotland are missing a chance here - the rules are there to be manipulated, he's lived here long enough, he's not played for England, he's played for Scottish Schoolboys and he is good enough for Scotland's international setup.

Archived