Champions League...HELP !!!

Tom Heaney

Looking for some help on a couple of points on the format of the CL.

1) Is it possible for the English sides to play each other in the last 16

2) What is the benefit of finishing top of your group? I'm assuming it means you play a second place side in the last 16, if so that brings me back to my first question, particulary if the answer is no :rolleyes:

Sorry for sounding confused but any info or links to the answers would be appreciated

Cheers

Not exactly sure, but I don't think two teams from the same nation have faced each other so far, so I think no.

If you watch the intitial group stage draw, they pick from a vast array of pots to make sure that certain teams don't face each other, so its quite possible this is setup to stop the 2nd round matches also.

Doesn't really answer your question though!

2nd question is as you stated though. 1st play 2nd.

Not exactly sure, but I don't think two teams from the same nation have faced each other so far, so I think no.

If you watch the intitial group stage draw, they pick from a vast array of pots to make sure that certain teams don't face each other, so its quite possible this is setup to stop the 2nd round matches also.

Doesn't really answer your question though!2nd question is as you stated though. 1st play 2nd.

SJ, Your right it doesn't :) But I do appreciate your efforts

Looks like the format confuses you as much as it has me. Thing is I cannot find anything on the UEFA website that helps. Maybe they dont know either:eek:

SJ, Your right it doesn't :) But I do appreciate your efforts

Looks like the format confuses you as much as it has me. Thing is I cannot find anything on the UEFA website that helps. Maybe they dont know either:eek:

If you look at last year's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League_2007-08

None of the English teams could have played each other. Still haven't seen it confirmed, but it looks as though its set up this way.

Group A plays Group D, Group B plays Group C, etc, so its not a draw, until the qtr finals.

Still doesn't confirm it though!

None of the English teams could have played each other. Still haven't seen it confirmed, but it looks as though its set up this way.

Group A plays Group D, Group B plays Group C, etc, so its not a draw, until the qtr finals.

Cheers mate, good to see that you are on the case:p

Teams from the same country can't meet in the last 16.

Group winners play a second placed team and play the 2nd leg of their last 16 tie at home.

This is untrue.

Teams from the same nation can not play each other until the 1/4 finals. Finishing top of your group means you will play 2nd placed teams and have an away tie first. I can't remember how they manage the draw to avoid teams from the same nation playing each other but they do.

This is untrue.

Ah yeah, you're right. So how do they do the draw then?

In fact its quite soon I guess.

SKY+...

in the last 16 teams from the same country can not meet as this extract from the UEFA website says:

Knockout phase

From the last 16 until the semi-finals, clubs play two matches against each other on a home and away basis with the same rules as the qualifying rounds applied. In the last 16, group winners play runners-up other than teams from their own pool or nation, while from the quarter-finals on the draw is free.

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/FixturesResults/index.html

Archived