Youth Team Investment

Rawrrrrrrr

Anyone able to confirm how much the following youth players cost us to acquire?

Ridgers, Husband, Templeton, Copil, Branny

Who else cost us a fee in the youth set up ?

Just wondering how much we are spending on the set up and whether its sustainable.

when the likes of Arsenal, Rangers, Celtic go out and spend 50k on a kid they know that they will be able to punt him to a lesser team even if he fails - just look at celtic asking 100k for rocco quinn, paul lawson and paul mcgowan recently.

We obviously dont have this luxury in most cases thus I am just wondering whether we are over investing in playing assets. By this I mean wages and acquisition as opposed to the academy.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What do you propose we do?

Sign 30 year olds with the money that could be used for player development?

What do you propose we do?

Sign 30 year olds with the money that could be used for player development?

Maybe not 30 YO's but 100k goes a long way in scottish football these days, for what we paid for a lot of these kids, we could have got a proven SPL player or a SFL player far nearer the first team.

I don't think investing in youth is necessary a bad thing, I just think maybe we are paying a fee a bit too often these days when we would be better just waiting.

I mean even if Ridgers, or Templeton went on and became a top 2nd or 3rd Division player, what would it have cost us to acquire them then?

Copil cost about 150k plus wages - completely wasted so far.

In fact our best youths at the moment are the ones who cost us nothing, maybe we should limit the investment into the set up, rather than acquisitions.

Anyone able to confirm how much the following youth players cost us to acquire?

Ridgers, Husband, Templeton, Copil, Branny

Who else cost us a fee in the youth set up ?

Just wondering how much we are spending on the set up and whether its sustainable.

when the likes of Arsenal, Rangers, Celtic go out and spend 50k on a kid they know that they will be able to punt him to a lesser team even if he fails - just look at celtic asking 100k for rocco quinn, paul lawson and paul mcgowan recently.

We obviously dont have this luxury in most cases thus I am just wondering whether we are over investing in playing assets. By this I mean wages and acquisition as opposed to the academy.

Get back in your cave, Bin Laden will be in touch soon. :rolleyes:

Maybe not 30 YO's but 100k goes a long way in scottish football these days, for what we paid for a lot of these kids, we could have got a proven SPL player or a SFL player far nearer the first team.

I don't think investing in youth is necessary a bad thing, I just think maybe we are paying a fee a bit too often these days when we would be better just waiting.

I mean even if Ridgers, or Templeton went on and became a top 2nd or 3rd Division player, what would it have cost us to acquire them then?

In fact our best youths at the moment are the ones who cost us nothing, maybe we should limit the investment into the set up, rather than acquisitions.

Really?!

Here's 100k ... tell me what you would do with it.

Charlie-Brown
Really?!

Well there's always Quinn, Lawson or McGowan at Celtic or Callum Elliot if you want a regular goalscorer? :)

Really?!

Cregg, Easton, Robertson, Dixon all players who recently or will soon be available for a small fee.

Theres a lot of decent talent in the first division too, Offiong and Dobbie cant/couldnt stop scoring down there.

How much would Hamilton want for McArthur, or ICT for Michael Fraser?

Shimmin at Morton is lighting up the first division defensively.

I am sure hearts scouts could find a lot of decent players for 100k within Scotland who could make an immediate impact, or one in the near future on the first team.

Yes it wont always come off like youth but we have spent a lot on acquiring younger players in recent seasons, and so far the return is minimal with the internally generated ones/freebies making the breakthrough.

Cregg, Easton, Robertson, Dixon all players who recently or will soon be available for a small fee.

Theres a lot of decent talent in the first division too, Offiong and Dobbie cant/couldnt stop scoring down there.

I am sure hearts scouts could find a lot of decent players for 100k within Scotland who could make an immediate impact, or one in the near future on the first team.

Yes it wont always come off like youth but we have spent a lot on acquiring younger players in recent seasons, and so far the return is minimal with the internally generated ones/freebies making the breakthrough.

Sorry but Dobbie, Offiong, Michael Fraser? Jesus.

Why not invest in the youth and see what happens?

If we signed players like that we definitely would get nowhere. 100% certain.

That's straight from the Mixu school of signings. Van Zanten, Rankin and pish like that. No thanks.

Geoff Kilpatrick

This just in: Everyone agree with Prancer. It will remove his raison d'etre to be the world's number 1 contrarian (or pain in the erchie if you prefer).

Patrick Bateman

He was alerted to them whilst playing Football Manager and binging on kinder eggs at work. They must be good.

Dennis Wyness. Been there done that.

Malcolm Tucker

Templeton cost 30k apparently. Not sure of the rest.

Oh, and I'd rather invest in youth than sign Michael Fraser.

Is this whole thread just a vehicle for you to have - yet another - dig at Copil?

Surely better to gamble and sign a few excellent young prospects than sign journeymen with no sell on value. All we need is one of the prospects to turn out good, and we will more than recoup the cost for signing most of them

jamboinglasgow

As I said after the interview with CO it makes sense to buy players at a young age. He said they would use money from ricarton players to buy new young players. For example, say we sold a player for ?2 mill, if we bought ten players with that money (so an average of ?200k each) and four make it and are even sold for ?1 mill yet, thats us doubled our money.

Just cos we spend money on youngsters and some may not forfil their potential does not mean the system should not be used. Arsenal will buy players young and some of them wont make it or return the money made. Doesn't mean that its a failure as you will have good players coming in as well. Its better to get a young player with bags of potential young and send him through the hearts system to get the most out of him them pick him up years later when he has some of that talent but suffrered from never utilising it.

If we signed players like that we definitely would get nowhere. 100% certain.

That's straight from the Mixu school of signings. Van Zanten, Rankin and pish like that. No thanks.

Well said AP. Although Jesus might be better on crosses that Balogh, what you think?

As I said after the interview with CO it makes sense to buy players at a young age. He said they would use money from ricarton players to buy new young players. For example, say we sold a player for ?2 mill, if we bought ten players with that money (so an average of ?200k each) and four make it and are even sold for ?1 mill yet, thats us doubled our money.

Just cos we spend money on youngsters and some may not forfil their potential does not mean the system should not be used. Arsenal will buy players young and some of them wont make it or return the money made. Doesn't mean that its a failure as you will have good players coming in as well. Its better to get a young player with bags of potential young and send him through the hearts system to get the most out of him them pick him up years later when he has some of that talent but suffrered from never utilising it.

I think that budgeting on expecting 4 out of 10 signed players to be sold for a million pounds each is unrealistic. Certainly if the player recruitment process is the same as it has been for the last 3 seasons.

There is merit in trying to bring young players through. Just as there always has been. Robbo, Mackay, Bowman, Crabbe, McLaren, Naysmith, Ritchie, Neilson, Gordon, Berra, Driver etc etc.

But there is merit in signing players from smaller teams in Scotland too - Cameron, Webster etc etc.

And there is merit in signing players from established sides - Brellier, Skacel etc.

Why were they all successful? Most of them were right good players signed by real football managers.

Deary me Prancer.

You've gone from saying yesterday "Does any one actually recieve texts about the signing of kids"

to

"I wanna know more, tell me more, I must know... for the sole reason to pick holes in the way the club is run"

Make up yer mind if you have one.

Chad Sexington

Thank Christ you have no say in the clubs signing policy.

jamboinglasgow
I think that budgeting on expecting 4 out of 10 signed players to be sold for a million pounds each is unrealistic. Certainly if the player recruitment process is the same as it has been for the last 3 seasons.

There is merit in trying to bring young players through. Just as there always has been. Robbo, Mackay, Bowman, Crabbe, McLaren, Naysmith, Ritchie, Neilson, Gordon, Berra, Driver etc etc.

But there is merit in signing players from smaller teams in Scotland too - Cameron, Webster etc etc.

And there is merit in signing players from established sides - Brellier, Skacel etc.

Why were they all successful? Most of them were right good players signed by real football managers.

not saying hearts budget for a 40% success rate, was just giving why it can bring in benefits, idealy the players sign should be correctly scouted to have the nessecary potential and mindset to be a great player but some wont make it. I do wonder now if Copil and Branny would be signed for hearts as I am sure that Csaba is a man that looks closely at the players mental side (though it could be argued having a manager and proper system in place would of been useful as well.)

I do think we can and will look at players from other places, you always need experenced players with inexperenced and Csaba did mention he has looked at players from the scottish league. And he will scout players from established teams as well.

Archived