What happened to Princes St.?

alwaysthereinspirit

alwaysthereinspirit

Was home last week and couldn't believe the $#!tty stores now allowed to trade on it. How many "Scottish" gift stores can you have. Cell phone stores right up in numbers too.:eek:

Was home last week and couldn't believe the $#!tty stores now allowed to trade on it. How many "Scottish" gift stores can you have. Cell phone stores right up in numbers too.:eek:

Out of town shopping centres mate. As Mark says, p*ss poor planning on the council's part has killed off the city centre!

Sheriff Fatman
Out of town shopping centres mate. As Mark says, p*ss poor planning on the council's part has killed off the city centre!

To be fair the council made a hefty amount of money out of the Gyle that kept council tax bills down to a ridculous amount rather than a criminal amount.

See that fake Scottish music / rock sh'te they pump out of the tartan Tat stores ?

I hate it.

I would love to rip the speakers off the ends of their cables.

And ... did the people in the "bands" who recorded that cr@p sit down at the end of the recording and say to themselves "well done, chaps that's a mighty fine recording there - gotta be a winner" ?

The Mighty Thor
What's happened to the "String of Pearls" idea that was mooted a couple of years ago?

I think that's available in a few of the establishments up Lothian Road but it's a fairly expensive extra ;)

I think that's available in a few of the establishments up Lothian Road but it's a fairly expensive extra ;)

Titter ye not:)

never understood why they don't do what loads of european capitals have done and pedestrianise the 'to leith' side of the road on princes street and then have trams only going along what would be the 'gorgie direction'. Put cafe's, bars, bistro's etc into the existing empty shops and have street performers, loads of festival acts etc on what would be a huge concourse.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Princes Street is a disgrace. It should be Edinburgh's crown jewel, full of classy shops, pavement bistros and stunning architecture. Instead it's filled with Jimmy hats, mobiles and general tartan tat.

never understood why they don't do what loads of european capitals have done and pedestrianise the 'to leith' side of the road on princes street and then have trams only going along what would be the 'gorgie direction'. Put cafe's, bars, bistro's etc into the existing empty shops and have street performers, loads of festival acts etc on what would be a huge concourse.

Don't be daft, man. That's far too sensible an idea.

It's a disgrace having these tat souvenir shops on Princes Street, especially when it's the council that was going on about turning the street into a world-class shopping street.

Too true mate.

Instead of a bespoke mixture of modern and classic sophistication, our beautiful capital is being down-trodden by this naff see-you-Jimmy, highland doll, kilts for a tenner crap.

It’s embarrassing as hell to think that people who visit my city think that this pulp is somehow representative of my culture. It’s truly awful.

No wonder the Weegies scoff at our shops.

Buffalo Bill

No wonder the Weegies scoff at our shops.

I agree, we may hate their football teams, but their city centre is far superior to Edinburgh.

There is going to be a significant narrowing of the pavements on Princes Street to accomodate the tram line.

With regard to the opening point, the anti-car transport and congestion creation strategies of the Council have pushed people away from the City centre.

Edinburgh is one of the worst major cities in the UK for shopping and general lazy days where you can wander around browsing and have a good lunch/coffee when you feel like it.

Glasgow, Manchester, London and Cardiff are all far better. They all have large pedestrianised shopping areas with plenty of nice eateries and loads of quality shops.

Instead of this we get cheap tat shops, 2 boots shops, Next and a couple of M&S shops. Wow. There are literally 2 decent 'affordable' clothes shops in Edinburgh yet you cant buy anything out of them because thats where everybody goes so you end up wearing the same ***** as everyone else.

We could do a lot worse than copy Glasgowor Cardiffs main shopping areas, but then where would we put the trams? (which are going to provide a lovely tour of the cities council schemes).

Edinburgh isn't too bad for clothes but the the simple fact Glasgow is miles better for clothes shopping. We have Jenners/Frasers, Xile, Gant, Harvey Nicks, Cruise, Austin Read and USC but not too often I venture in there.

You've only got yourselves to blame. Retail marketing consistently shows that the Weegies are prone to spending a higher percentage of their disposable income in shops.

Retailers will always favour Glasgow over Edinburgh, we have also have the curse of the tourist to contend with.

Princess street is a **** hole these days, hardley any decent shop there anymore.. Far too meny mobile phone shops and too meny tarten tat shops. I hate going into town to go shopping now, id rather go through to weegie land and do my shopping there or just use the internet. There used to be a time when going into town to buy stuff was exciting, now its just a pain in the arse..

Princes street is a **** hole these days, hardly any decent shops there anymore. Far too many mobile phone shops and too many tartan tat shops. I hate going into town to go shopping now, I'd rather go through to weegie land and do my shopping there or just use the internet. There used to be a time when going into town to buy stuff was exciting, now its just a pain in the arse.

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Princes Street is a disgrace. It should be Edinburgh's crown jewel, full of classy shops, pavement bistros and stunning architecture. Instead it's filled with Jimmy hats, mobiles and general tartan tat.

As anybody on here who went to Bordeaux will agree. A street probably longer than Princes St which is all pedestrianised and with many bistros and quality shops.

As for Princes St , I haven't been back there in many years. It's awful.

Archived