Csaba Tonight

Generic Username

Generic Username

Just back from the Q&A with Csaba tonight, he was absolutely brilliant.

A good 10-15 minute rant about the SFA, all of which was bang on the money.

Telling us that despite the quantity of the youth set up, in his view there is next to no quality there. (He thinks only McGowan and Husband are the players at the moment with the potential to come through into the 1st team)

Categorically stated he's never had any intereference from Romanov but did state that he is expected to justify playing certain players if it's felt from up above they don't merit a place.

Laid the boot into Obua and said despite him knowing he has the quality to be a top footballer, if he doesn't start applying himself on the park he'll get shown the door.

Said he asked the Lithuanian goalkeeping coach who to play on Saturday and he said, without missing a beat "Jamie MacDonald" - perhaps surprising to some considering this guys obvious Kaunas connection.

Stated that Hearts don't have an out and out number 1 - MacDonald, Balogh and Kello are all of equal ability, it's down to confidence who retains the number 1 spot at the moment.

Has a shortlist of 15 all SPL players, which is shortlisted to 3 that he ideally wants to sign come January but knows we have to sell before we buy.

Slated the 5 year contract deals for youngster, saying it was stagnating their career instead of pushing them to further themselves - guys get a 5 year deal on big money and decided not to bother anymore and just "cash in".

Hopefully someone was taking minutes and can get some direct quotes up, it really was great to listen to.

Telling us that despite the quantity of the youth set up, in his view there is next to no quality there. (He thinks only McGowan and Husband are the players at the moment with the potential to come through into the 1st team)

Categorically stated he's never had any intereference from Romanov but did state that he is expected to justify playing certain players if it's felt from up above they don't merit a place.

Laid the boot into Obua and said despite him knowing he has the quality to be a top footballer, if he doesn't start applying himself on the park he'll get shown the door.

Said he asked the Lithuanian goalkeeping coach who to play on Saturday and he said, without missing a beat "Jamie MacDonald" - perhaps surprising to some considering this guys obvious Kaunas connection.

Stated that Hearts don't have an out and out number 1 - MacDonald, Balogh and Kello are all of equal ability, it's down to confidence who retains the number 1 spot at the moment.

Has a shortlist of 15 all SPL players, which is shortlisted to 3 that he ideally wants to sign come January but knows we have to sell before we buy.

Slated the 5 year contract deals for youngster, saying it was stagnating their career instead of pushing them to further themselves - guys get a 5 year deal on big money and decided not to bother anymore and just "cash in".

Hopefully someone was taking minutes and can get some direct quotes up, it really was great to listen to.

excellent. good post. is someone really did take accurate minutes they probably deserve a medal, he likes a spraffle.

Pretty disappointed he doesn't rate many of the youngsters.

Good to hear he also thinks Obua needs to get his finger oot!!

Wonder who the 15 shortlisted SPL players are???

Ha ha ... I can hear it now, Romanov asks why Shabba has chosen a certain player, an hour later Shabba is still talking and eventually Romanov, just tells him to get on with it.

Kinda contradict's Mr Murray's comments on the other thread eh?

Cheers for the info ... Interesting stuff.

scott herbertson
Pretty disappointed he doesn't rate many of the youngsters.

Good to hear he also thinks Obua needs to get his finger oot!!

Wonder who the 15 shortlisted SPL players are???

probably just a general message that they have to improve to progress

I hate to sound almost Pranceresque, but for many of them they need to break through in the next 12 months or they are going nowhere with Hearts, assuming Csaba intends to sign 4 in the transfer window

Geoff Kilpatrick

Wonder what John Murray makes of that? Not encouraging for the likes of Templeton, Glen, Rapnik and Brown either.

That said, it would be good if McGowan and Husband make the breakthrough at some point this season.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

All sounds very interesting. Surprised at the youngsters he mentioned, despite the fact others have been on the bench before them this season. Pleased with the answer he gave about Romanov, looks like he has moved more into the background. Sounds promising, beginning to like Csaba more and more, day by day.

probably just a general message that they have to improve to progress

I hate to sound almost Pranceresque, but for many of them they need to break through in the next 12 months or they are going nowhere with Hearts, assuming Csaba intends to sign 4 in the transfer window

True... could be another sign of his good man-management skills in trying to push some of the young players on. I still feel players like Rapnik and Temps should be nearing 1st team football but will leave the judgement to the people who know best.

I seriously hope one of the players shortlisted in Artfield of Falkirk. Rate him highly.

If he only rates McGowan and Husband, why have the rarely, if every made the bench?

(I know McGowan was with Australia/maybe injured.)

Can only assume that by the youth set up he is discounting players with first team experience or a currently involved with the first team at training etc.

scott herbertson
If he only rates McGowan and Husband, why have the rarely, if every made the bench?

(I know McGowan was with Australia/maybe injured.)

I wasn't there tonight but I take it to mean those youngsters who haven't already made it - ie he wouldn't have been referring to templeton and rapnik

Charlie-Brown

I think the above posts create the wrong impression, he didn't say he didn't rate the youngsters he did say he felt at this time Husband & McGowan had best chance to come through - he said he wants to improve the academy and has ideas how to improve the quality & has spoken and agreed with John Murray how to do this , he said Hearts have too many players and not enough quality - he wasn't specific to the youngsters but he wasn't berating the likes of rapnik or brown or templeton etc.

Goldstone Wonder

I think that view has been proved to be correct. Seems to be a lot of them just freewheeling along and not pushing themselves, knowing they've got a long term deal.

Charlie-Brown

Also regards long term contracts, this wasn't specific to youths either, he said he feels 2-3 year deals are the correct lengths for all players, except maybe exceptional 17 year olds (Wayne Rooney) but for ordinary players you have to keep them hungry.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

That is staggering honesty from one of Romanov's managers. I like it. Csaba's growing on me every day. Shame he doesn't think Rapnik is ready for the first team though, I think he's quality.

Charlie-Brown
That is staggering honesty from one of Romanov's managers. I like it. Csaba's growing on me every day. Shame he doesn't think Rapnik is ready for the first team though, I think he's quality.

He didn't mention Rapnik at all neither in a positive or negative way - he did mention Jason Thomson, Glen, Husband & McGowan - JT has the perfect attitude even if he will never be the greatest player, Glen is too comfortable & not pushing himself enough, McGowan and Husband are pushing hard for the first team & have a good chance of success, but he wasn't specific nor critical of any of the others but in general he has ideas to improve the youth system.

He touched a wee bit on tactics as well, and how the win against Rangers was "not an accident".

The players play different formations dring a game depending if we have the ball, we lose the ball on the opposition half or lose it on our own half; and how was "press the ball", "press the opponent" and "press the opponent", and "press the space"; and how we "killed" Mendes and Ferguson.

He said that until he can bring in "three" players and ship several out, then he has to go with the formation the personnel allows.

Intriguing, charismatic and passionate.

Buffalo Bill

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
He didn't mention Rapnik at all neither in a positive or negative way - he did mention Jason Thomson, Glen, Husband & McGowan - JT has the perfect attitude even if he will never be the greatest player, Glen is too comfortable & not pushing himself enough, McGowan and Husband are pushing hard for the first team & have a good chance of success, but he wasn't specific nor critical of any of the others but in general he has ideas to improve the youth system.

I see. Yeah, it just doesn't make sense that he would only rate McGowan and Husband. Good stuff. Nice to hear he was so emphatic about the interference issue. Him having to justify playing players Romanov doesn't fancy is nowhere near as big a deal as having selections foisted upon him. Some good, positive stuff from the club in the past week - on the pitch and off it.

My impression was that he has big plans to over-haul the youth structure and quite right too.

Buffalo Bill

Think we should wait for any minutes before jumping to conclusions regarding what he said about the youth players. One poster has him saying only McGowan and Husband have the quality required, where as another is saying he was merely saying that we have too many players who are under-20 playing in the reserves and under-19s (I would certainly agree) and that McGowan and Husband are the best.

The first interpretation means that the likes of Glen, Templeton, Rapnik, J. Brown, Balatoni etc have no future. The second would mean they are good players, just not as good as Husband or McGowan (can't argue too much with that IMO).

Very different interpretations.

Hopefully someone did, since it appears that he said no such thing as is highlighted in bold above.

Generic Username

A lot of guys are getting the hump RE the youth, maybe I phrased it wrong.

Maybe more accurate to say that he doesn't feel like we've got another set of Berra's/Gordon's/Jonsson's in the under 19's/under 16's that can make the grade.

He kept stating that if and when we have a player of that calibre they need to be treated and trained differently to help their progression, which I feel is a fair assesment. If you want them to really push on you can't keep hitting them with the same thing as the other average lads each day.

Whilst I don't doubt Csaba thinks guys like Rapnik/Templeton/Brown are all good players - he doesn't think they'll be exceptional players or players who can go on to have an important role to play at Hearts. Again, in my view, a fair assesment. These guys undoubtedly have the ability but they need to be constantly pushing themselves to prove the manager wrong and show they should be in his plans.

Wonder what John Murray makes of that? Not encouraging for the likes of Templeton, Glen, Rapnik and Brown either.

...or Murray!

MackaysCentreSpot
If he thinks those two are the only decent players in the entire youth set up, he's a total total moron.

He obviously does not think that reading CB posts.

Csaba seems to hold the same views as most of the people on this board.

That can only be a good thing, yes?

We've all been moaning for the last three years about certain issues and it seems that our new manager has also identified the same shortcomings.

There was someone taking minutes and once she's recovered from writer's cramp we'll get them up on the Trust website :)

Interesting night, he's certainly entertaining and not one for coming out with the normal stock (safe) answers.

Lots of interesting points; not always answering the questions he asked because he was getting so passionate about some other related points, but all very interesting.

Charlie-Brown

Maybe more accurate to say that he doesn't feel like we've got another set of Berra's/Gordon's/Jonsson's in the under 19's/under 16's that can make the grade.

He kept stating that if and when we have a player of that calibre they need to be treated and trained differently to help their progression, which I feel is a fair assesment. If you want them to really push on you can't keep hitting them with the same thing as the other average lads each day.

Whilst I don't doubt Csaba thinks guys like Rapnik/Templeton/Brown are all good players - he doesn't think they'll be exceptional players or players who can go on to have an important role to play at Hearts. Again, in my view, a fair assesment. These guys undoubtedly have the ability but they need to be constantly pushing themselves to prove the manager wrong and show they should be in his plans.

He didn't get specific about any players audioslave except for a few which he used to make examples of his general points - which can basically be summarised as if any player works hard and gives their best then Csaba will do everything he can to help them, if they don't work hard and don't give their best they won't have a future...but to say he doesn't rate any individual or group of players is wrong in my opinion, he was stating some examples.

Is it really anything new or we have not heard before

Youths - How often do more than 2 or 3 players from a generation breakthrough? Its rather inevitable that the majority will not make it at hearts, Husband and McGowan are imo without a doubt the best of the lot. Brown, Rapnik and Glen all have potential and could do a job but need to start getting some first team football. Templeton I don't think will make it but deserves a chance to prove himself.

The SPL shortlist - We have apparently had one for the past 3 years, I wont believe it until the day we sign an SPL player, that it actually exists.

The no manipulation but justification stance is the one we have heard off every manager/coach we have had.

Macdonald/GK's - This isnt bad, but I do think we would be better off with a stand out first choice.

Obua- needs to adapt, if he hasnt done so by january we should be looking at taking another expensive wage off the books.

Was a very interesting evening.

Seems to be a manager that players can come forward with problems they have. He metioned that Nade asked to go back to France for a few days, Csaba said ok as long as you do extra sessions (Nade agreed) He talked a lot about how its all about the two way relationship between the player and the manager. I get the impression that he knows how to get a response from players.

Something has gone on behind the scenes with Glen IMO. His name was briefly brought up when discussing 5 years deals and younger players attitudes.

Csaba is either a great actor, or he does indeed call the decisions with team selection. Got the impression that Csaba does have to explain decisions he makes, but he thinks this is fine as Vlad is the owner.

Also talked up Koro as an important part of the commuication chain with Vlad. Trusts him and is a good football man.

From what he said, we will have to get the squad down before we can bring in. Although from what he said, his pan for Jan has not been rubber stamped as yet.

Apologies if anything was forgotten or lost in translation by myself, there was a hell of a lot of talking tonight by Csaba.

Good night and when the next one comes up, well worth going along.

Fair enough, but I cant think of any young player in the history of football who has been the finished article playing under 19 and reserve team football.

We seem to have a whole raft of one time top youngsters, growing older by the day who will NEVER be tested at first team level to see what they are really made of.

We've had a few opportunities this season to bring one or two in at various stages but it hasnt been done, instead we've played average players going nowhere, out of position.

If we genuinely havent been able to convert ANY of these apparently very good prospects into first team players then someone in the youth coaching set up has to have their head roll for it.

MackaysCentreSpot
Is it really anything new or we have not heard before

Youths - How often do more than 2 or 3 players from a generation breakthrough? Its rather inevitable that the majority will not make it at hearts, Husband and McGowan are imo without a doubt the best of the lot. Brown, Rapnik and Glen all have potential and could do a job but need to start getting some first team football. Templeton I don't think will make it but deserves a chance to prove himself.

The SPL shortlist - We have apparently had one for the past 3 years, I wont believe it until the day we sign an SPL player, that it actually exists.

The no manipulation but justification stance is the one we have heard off every manager/coach we have had.

Macdonald/GK's - This isnt bad, but I do think we would be better off with a stand out first choice.

Obua- needs to adapt, if he hasnt done so by january we should be looking at taking another expensive wage off the books.

Always the optimist eh Prancer......:rolleyes:

Generic Username
He didn't get specific about any players audioslave except for a few which he used to make examples of his general points - which can basically be summarised as if any player works hard and gives their best then Csaba will do everything he can to help them, if they don't work hard and don't give their best they won't have a future...but to say he doesn't rate any invidual or group of players is wrong in my opinion, he was stating some examples.

Yeah I just name dropped the likes of Rapnik and co as they are the ones the majority on here feel should be banging on the door for a first team start.

People who were there tonight will, I hope, have been entertained and uplifted by what Csaba had to say. He was very very frank and honest about a lot of things and despite what some might say, it's something we've not had for a long time.

Generic Username
Fair enough, but I cant think of any young player in the history of football who has been the finished article playing under 19 and reserve team football.

We seem to have a whole raft of one time top youngsters, growing older by the day who will NEVER be tested at first team level to see what they are really made of.

We've had a few opportunities this season to bring one or two in at various stages but it hasnt been done, instead we've played average players going nowhere, out of position.

If we genuinely havent been able to convert ANY of these apparently very good prospects into first team players then someone in the youth coaching set up has to have their head roll for it.

If Csaba gets his way, I'd expect that to happen.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Sounds good to me.

He really is just talking in a sensible, logical, professional manner but it's a breath of fresh air after the donkeys we have had recently.

Re under 19s.

I wouldn't get too bogged down with specific names. Audioslave is just making the point the we don't have an all conquering generation waiting to sweep into office.

There are two or three who'll probably make it, but what he wants is better form Riccarton.

Buffalo Bill

Drylaw Hearts

Shock.

That is a worry.

Did he state who "up above" was ? VR or AK ?

Good

If he really feels that the case then he has to put his hands up for signing The Balogh after Kello had already signed.

David Clarkson was a name mentioned to me a few weeks ago.

I completely agree with him on that front.

Generic Username
Sounds good to me.

He really is just talking in a sensible, logical, professional manner but it's a breath of fresh air after the donkeys we have had recently.

It takes him an age to get out what he wants to say but it is good listening in the end.

Re under 19s.

I wouldn't get too bogged down with specific names. Audioslave is just making the point the we don't have an all conquering generation waiting to sweep into office.

There are two or three who'll probably make it, but what he wants is better form Riccarton.

Buffalo Bill

Basically that's what I've been trying to get at.

Apology needed for my interpretation getting a few folk worked up, wasn't the intention.

Also got the impression that Tullberg was a player Csaba was aware of rather than a Vlad signing. Had watched him twice in Denmark as well as in Italy.

Tullberg is away home and tbh, dont think we will see him this year. Csaba hoped he would be back fit by then but by his body language, Im not so sure. Though Csaba really felt for Tullberg as al he wants to do is play football. Tullberg by what Csaba said was really down about the injury set back.

Csaba is well aware that if anything happens to Nade, we are in trouble.

Was he asked about the injuries ?

Or about Tam Ritchie being responsible for running Tullberg into the ground?

Was that not just a Kickback rumour?

I can't remember anything official being said about that.

Generic Username

Oh away and boil yer heid MOD EDIT

Tullberg injury, from the managers mouth;

HE declared HIMSELF fit and then ****'d himself because he wasn't 100%.

Absolutely hee-haw to do with being "run into the ground". He desperately wanted to get back into the team, himself and Hearts took a gamble letting him train again and he's knackered himself yet again.

Someone post this balloons picture again. I knew it wouldn't be long before he reverted to form.

Was that not just a Kickback rumour?

I can't remember anything official being said about that.

I believe so, the person who posted about it seemed fairly sure, but it was never confirmed which is why I was wondering if anyone asked.

The one thing which strikes me about Csaba is he seems to be speaking himself, as opposed to off a script which we have seen in the past, his comments arent always of much worth but at least its not just being a mouthpiece.

Charlie-Brown

It was myself who asked the question about young players and I was satisfied with the answer we received, I didn't think he was overly critical or negative of the the youth system, he has ideas and plans to improve it and had discussed this with J.Murray and said they were awaiting approval/finance from the board, he also said (in general) Hearts have too many players (not just youths) and that he wants to see more quality and players must leave to free up space & funds, I certainly didn't get the idea that heads will roll at the academy & generally he praised the coaches & staff there - he did say that Husband & McGowan at this moment in time had the best chance of coming through - Obua & Glen were the only players he was critical of all night (& Mole for missing from 2 metres v Aberden) - Jason Thomson, Berra, Karipidis & Aguiar all got praised for their effort and attitude and everyday they are showing the right attitude and learning to improve themselves........there was loadsa other things as well but i think some people are making too sweeping (critical) assumptions about the youth players in previous posts.

It was myself who asked the question about young players and I was satisfied with the answer we received, I didn't think he was overly critical or nagtive of the the youth system, he has ideas and plans to improve it and had discussed this with J.Murray and said they were awaiting approval/finance from the board, he also said (in general) Hearts have too many players (not just youths) and that he wants to see more quality and players must leave to free up space & funds, I certainly didn't get the idea that heads will roll at the academy & generally he praised the coaches & staff their - he did say that Husband & McGowan at this moment in time had the best chance of coming through - Obua & Glen were the only players he was critical of all night (& Mole for missing from 2 metres v Aberden) - Jason Thomson, Berra, Karipidis & Aguiar all got praised for their effort and attitude and everyday they are showing the right attitude and learning to im prove themselves........there was loadsa other things as well but i think some people are making too sweeping (critical) assumptions about the youth players in previous posts.

What was said about Glen?

Was there any indication given as to who we might see go in the close season/january? Neilson, Makela, Bruno, Karipidis are the main first team players out of contract, was anything said about their futures?

MackaysCentreSpot
Laid the boot into Obua and said despite him knowing he has the quality to be a top footballer, if he doesn't start applying himself on the park he'll get shown the door.[/Quote]

After reading about his management style with the players I find this a bit of a worry if he has not conveyed these feelings to the player himself before attending this meeting.

And even if he has this kind of thing should be kept inhouse as this is the kind of thing that can upset the seemingly togetherness of the squad.

How would you feel about your manager discussing you in front of a roomfull of strangers.

Drylaw Hearts
It was myself who asked the question about young players and I was satisfied with the answer we received, I didn't think he was overly critical or negative of the the youth system, he has ideas and plans to improve it and had discussed this with J.Murray and said they were awaiting approval/finance from the board, he also said (in general) Hearts have too many players (not just youths) and that he wants to see more quality and players must leave to free up space & funds, I certainly didn't get the idea that heads will roll at the academy & generally he praised the coaches & staff there - he did say that Husband & McGowan at this moment in time had the best chance of coming through - Obua & Glen were the only players he was critical of all night (& Mole for missing from 2 metres v Aberden) - Jason Thomson, Berra, Karipidis & Aguiar all got praised for their effort and attitude and everyday they are showing the right attitude and learning to im prove themselves........there was loadsa other things as well but i think some people are making too sweeping (critical) assumptions about the youth players in previous posts.

Did anyone ask why Husband hasn't been given another chance since his excellent performence v Dunfermline dusing Pre-Season ?

It was myself who asked the question about young players and I was satisfied with the answer we received, I didn't think he was overly critical or negative of the the youth system, he has ideas and plans to improve it and had discussed this with J.Murray and said they were awaiting approval/finance from the board, he also said (in general) Hearts have too many players (not just youths) and that he wants to see more quality and players must leave to free up space & funds, I certainly didn't get the idea that heads will roll at the academy & generally he praised the coaches & staff there - he did say that Husband & McGowan at this moment in time had the best chance of coming through - Obua & Glen were the only players he was critical of all night (& Mole for missing from 2 metres v Aberden) - Jason Thomson, Berra, Karipidis & Aguiar all got praised for their effort and attitude and everyday they are showing the right attitude and learning to improve themselves........there was loadsa other things as well but i think some people are making too sweeping (critical) assumptions about the youth players in previous posts.

What did he say about Glen?

Out of interest, what's Shabbas track record with youth like at previous clubs? Does he hace a history of bringing through players or what? (I'm not asking you specifically CB!)

Archived