Willie Gibson

systemx

Johanes de Silentio

Does Willie not now run a post-office in Fife?

Great player - he's a free agent too - get him in in January, Csaba!

WG was always described as a "Grocers son from Methil",thik it might be masonic code

Nope, it's not.:P

Does anybody have any info on my favourite penalty taker Willie Gibson .Is he still around?

Owns/Owned Post Office in Coaltown of Balgonie near Kirkcaldy

Now .... no stalking OK!!

I used to serve him when I worked in a stationery wholesalers years ago and he came in for stock. Total knobhead and loved himself........that was about 15 years ago though. :D

Owns/Owned Post Office in Coaltown of Balgonie near Kirkcaldy

Now .... no stalking OK!!

Believe he sold that and runs a couple of others in Glenrothes.

Winston Ingram

Above poster is correct, he sold Coaltown of Balgownie business... cant remember if he moved back directly into same trade or into some kind of sandwiches/takeaway game.

Son is Graham Gibson. Currently at Forfar, ex Brechin, Partick, Stenny.. and a Hearts fan.

Willie has been invited back to Tynecastle several times but is never keen on the limelight and has always refused. Find the above "love himself" comment rather wide of the mark. He could have lapped up plenty at Tynecastle in the last 20 years if that was the case!

Does anybody have any info on my favourite penalty taker Willie Gibson .Is he still around?

Yes, he's still around and is still mates with another legend - Drew Busby.

jambos are go!

No player in my time following Hearts ever gave so much for so little appreciation from the bulk of the fans. Some still cant believe his goalscoring record was so great - but London Hearts tells no lies. Bias is a major cause of blindness IMO.

No player in my time following Hearts ever gave so much for so little appreciation from the bulk of the fans. Some still cant believe his goalscoring record was so great - but London Hearts tells no lies. Bias is a major cause of blindness IMO.

He was pretty effective....in a Willie Gibson sort of way. Another under-rated player. I remember when the first team squad went on strike and they were all put on the transfer list, ?100k rated Willie Gibson.... :)

He was pretty effective....in a Willie Gibson sort of way. Another under-rated player. I remember when the first team squad went on strike and they were all put on the transfer list, ?100k rated Willie Gibson.... :)

I remember a superb piece of writing by (probably) Mike Aitken, who went all flowery about Gibson having "mastered the continental art of shielding the ball" or some such. Poor Willie used to take some terrible abuse.

Brick Tamland

Would have been better in a better team, did well and didn't get much credit from the Hearts fans at the time, took an enormous amount of physical abuse from the opposition and always appeared to me as being a fairly timid nice bloke - any London Hearts stats saying how many times he was booked?

Also had to try and get on the end of Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Prentices crosses which at best were erratic and also might have been the first player to make ruddy faces acceptable (or does Alan Anderson take this title?) and which Alan McLaren later mastered.

And no I am not the Willie Gibson it is just my user name.

Johanes de Silentio

Scored loads of goals for us in an exceptionally dark period for t'Jambos. The man's a bally hero, for Christ's sake!

Scored loads of goals for us in an exceptionally dark period for t'Jambos. The man's a bally hero, for Christ's sake!

He was but he didn't cut an athletic figure IIRC. :)

Johanes de Silentio
He was but he didn't cut an athletic figure IIRC. :)

Indeed no, Dave - I was asking my older brother the other day about the stick that Willie took from the fans, and he said it was totally unfair...

then he added, "Mind ye, Willie was aye an ugly, akward looking *******"!

I'd be happy with Willie Gibson up front for t'Jambos any day!

scott herbertson

He was a 'right place right time' kind of player. The ball seemed to be drawn to him in the box. Then it was kind of random whether it went in the net or just bounced off him

We used to have a sweep on which part of Willie's anatomy the ball would hit off next.

I'm sure I remember him scoring one with his bum once.

He was a frustrating player to watch and yet he scored and scored and the record does not lie....

He was a 'right place right time' kind of player. The ball seemed to be drawn to him in the box. Then it was kind of random whether it went in the net or just bounced off him

We used to have a sweep on which part of Willie's anatomy the ball would hit off next.

I'm sure I remember him scoring one with his bum once.

He was a frustrating player to watch and yet he scored and scored and the record does not lie....

I do remember he was having a 'mare at Tynie and the entire Enclosure burst into...."Gibson For Scotland!".:)

Archived