If Vladimir Romanov wants the best for Hearts, then he must build a new main stand

Flux

Guest Fabuloso

An honest article on what many fans already think. I think the writer is correct in that there will always be a degree of upheaval when VR is 'around'.

Charlie-Brown

Hearts have never been much interest to Spiers, even when he worked through here for the Scotsman group and drank in a couple of local pubs his interest was always with those teams along the M8 thus he's never had anything more than superficial interest in events at Hearts and this article reflects that, it skims the surface but doesn't look too deeply....probably because G.Spiers doesn't really want to?

Pretty much spot on, aside from the fact that it's patently obvious that we can't afford a new stand.

Yes and also Romanov is a Russian and not a Lithuanian as Mr Spiers seems to think, more sloppy journalism!!

Guess The Crowd
Hearts have never been much interest to Spiers, even when he worked through here for the Scotsman group and drank in a couple of local pubs his interest was always with those teams along the M8 thus he's never had anything more than superficial interest in events at Hearts and this article reflects that, it skims the surface but doesn't look too deeply....probably because G.Spiers doesn't really want to?

I'd agree with that. For all that he speaks much more eloquently than his tabloid colleagues, his view of Hearts is not dissimilar.

In particular, to play the 'new stand' card at this time of global economic meltdown is a poor show, particularly as his media colleagues still tell us that 'Tynecastle is the best place for football in Scotland'.

While one of the stands in undoubtedly hugely inferior to the other 3, I'd like Mr Spiers to answer me this - how many of the 4 stands would now exist at all if Vlad hadn't arrived in 2004?

And if that makes me a 'Romanov apologist', then so be it.

If the day ever comes when, my press ticket to hand, I am able to walk through the opulent front doors of such an edifice, I will personally kiss Mr Romanov?s ankles in gratitude.

Interesting statement by Graham. I didn't realise he cared so much! :)

Jam Tarts 1874

Spiers needs to get up to date, he states that Romanov's shareholding in Hearts is 82%, however that is not the correct figure since the debt to equity transaction.

What a pillock!

There is a global financial crisis and credit crunch on at the moment Spiers which will obviously shelf the building of ANYBODIES new stand!:rolleyes:

While one of the stands in undoubtedly hugely inferior to the other 3,

I like the old Main Stand. It's...snug. The wind and rain never gets you the same way as if you are in one of the other stands, and when thousands of feet thump the wooden floor it sends shivers down your spine.

Me n all. It may well be a deathtrap but you never get too cold and cos everyone's jammed together it makes for a better atmosphere.

In my opinion anyway. Also, as the seats are less expensive there's less of the "prawn sandwich" crowd so there's always some comedy shouts thrown out.

Love that old place and will be genuinely sorry when it gets torn down.

Just let us recognize this for what it is: a hatchet job on Hearts. Simultaneously, he also becomes an apologist for Walter Smith's comments about an official whose name just happens to be Irish. Is Walter a bigot? Of course not!

I wonder if he would have mentioned his name if it had been Smith?

Let us not fool ourselves. Spiers operates in the same cesspool as the rest of his Hearts hating, OF apologist, so-called journalists. Their narrow agenda has been helping to suffocate Scottish football for decades. Try this for an exercise: count how many times Keith Jackson mentions late wages in his report on Saturday's match. And read Jim Traynor's critique of the SFA's defence of the state of Scottish football and count the number of times he mentions clubs outside the so-called Old Firm.

Speirs is the same as this pair of charaltans. Lickspittles!

Billy the Jambo

If the idiot wants the best for Hearts then maybe he should pay the players wages on time that would be a start .Mad one GTF now you are making this club a laughing stock even more so now than usual

I get the Times every Monday for Marcotti's and Samuel's columns and I think this is the first non old firm column I have seen that I can remember.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Just let us recognize this for what it is: a hatchet job on Hearts. Simultaneously, he also becomes an apologist for Walter Smith's comments about an official whose name just happens to be Irish. Is Walter a bigot? Of course not!

I wonder if he would have mentioned his name if it had been Smith?

Let us not fool ourselves. Spiers operates in the same cesspool as the rest of his Hearts hating, OF apologist, so-called journalists. Their narrow agenda has been helping to suffocate Scottish football for decades. Try this for an exercise: count how many times Keith Jackson mentions late wages in his report on Saturday's match. And read Jim Traynor's critique of the SFA's defence of the state of Scottish football and count the number of times he mentions clubs outside the so-called Old Firm.

Speirs is the same as this pair of charaltans. Lickspittles!

To be fair to Speirs, he has been relentless in his criticism of Rangers for years now. He gives Murray and Rangers fans a much harder time than he does Hearts.

Archived