any good pre match bars in newcastle

mellors1874

hi all

going to see newcastle vs stoke next saturday

anyone ever being to st james before and if so where is the best place to go for a pint

hi all

anyone ever being to st james before and if so where is the best place to go for a pint

Rosie's Bar.

Literally just around the corner from SJP.

Its on the corner of a street called Stowell Street (Chinatown)

Sexton Hardcastle

Possibly going to this next week as well as down there witha group fora 21st.

Is it easy to get tickets at the gate? Ideas on prices?

Cheers

Cheers

level 7, top tier, tickets are ?25 - plenty left, dont think newcastle have sold out this season.

not sure if you can pay at the gate, but theres plenty ticket booth windows you can get tickets from on match days.

my recommendations for a pre-match bevvy are shearers, the strawberry or the goose.

Try Raffertys it`s opposite the railway station up Pink Lane & only about 5 minutes from SJP. Cheap as well, almost all pints are under ?1.75.

Rupert Pupkin

TRENT HOUSE or THE STRAWBERRY are good toon pubs ,problem is you need to be a good " TOON FAN" to get in.TRENT HOUSE let no one in on match day who aint in black and white.

TynesidetoTynecastle
hi all

Depends what your after mate. If its strippers you want to see before the match its the Vault (Bigg Market) and Sam Jacks (next to the Gate complex) you need to be heading for. More traditional pubs are The Three Bulls, The Percy Arms, The Hotspur (all on Percy Street, Haymarket area) Newcastle Arms, Trent House, Rosies, The Strawberry (all within 2 mins of the ground). All pubs mentioned though get really busy. Shearer's bar is also very handy as its underneath the Gallowgate end although some supporters are still boycotting it in protest at the way the club is being run at present.

For the lad who was asking about tickets, prices start from ?20 in Leazes corner but the fans in there tend to stand up for the entire match and its very high up. ?25 gets you a seat in the Gallowgate End which is what I would recommend. It won't be a sell out but if Stoke bring around 2,500-3,000 fans up the crowd should be around the 50,000 mark.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Cheers

Gets yourself down to the ground at around 8.30am, so that you get the best available seats.

Managed to get a couple of tickets for a Man Utd game, on the morning of the game a few years back.

Sexton Hardcastle

Were not leaving here until 10 ish so wont be in town til around 12. But will def fire down to the ground and see whats what. ?20-25 sounds pretty decent.

I take it you can drink in the ground/concourse. Did similar at Carlisle and just checking you can do there?

thanks

TynesidetoTynecastle
Were not leaving here until 10 ish so wont be in town til around 12. But will def fire down to the ground and see whats what. ?20-25 sounds pretty decent.

I take it you can drink in the ground/concourse. Did similar at Carlisle and just checking you can do there?

thanks

Yeah you can drink inside the concourses. They've actually chopped a ?1 of the ticket prices with the VAT off so Leazes Corner is now ?19 and the Gallowgate is ?24.

Have a look at this. It's free to register your name, no booking fee and they post the ticket out to you for free as well. Plus you can choose the exact seat you want to sit in.

http://www.nufc.talent-sport.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/standAndAreaSelection.aspx?stadium=NS&product=SCH09L&campaign=%20%20&type=H

Guest Dipped Flake
hi all

We go down every year for a game. Strawberry well worth a visit but need to get in early. We usually go there first, then round the corner to the CIU club (usually ok to get in and cheap beer), then back round to Shearers. Can't believe the prices being quoted on here, we have never paid less than ?25 before

TynesidetoTynecastle
We go down every year for a game. Strawberry well worth a visit but need to get in early. We usually go there first, then round the corner to the CIU club (usually ok to get in and cheap beer), then back round to Shearers. Can't believe the prices being quoted on here, we have never paid less than ?25 before

They've totally changed the pricing structure. That ?19 ticket for Stoke costs ?34 against Liverpool later this month, The ?24 in the Gallowgate costs ?39 etc.

Sexton Hardcastle

Thanks.

Not sure how many of us are actually going to the game but it seems ok to just get them on the day so will just go for that.

Millfield_Mackem

Go to Sunderland instead. One particular watering hole is the stadium of light, you get can get served up with weak as p*ss sh*te very easily, every week.

:mad:

john the jambo

watched the rangers game in the old george think it was in the cloth market

on sat was'nt to bad exept the rangers fans that

were in as the racing was of

Try Raffertys it`s opposite the railway station up Pink Lane & only about 5 minutes from SJP. Cheap as well, almost all pints are under ?1.75.

I was in Rafferty's 3 - 4 weeks ago and they charged ?7. 25 for 5 pints of Fosters lager ie ?1. 45p per pint.

BTW if anyone finishes in the back row of the Sir John Hall stand, take a good pair of field glasses with you. The players look like little dots.

I would give the Strawberry and Rosies a miss to be honest, but that's personal taste. You'll only get one pint before the game as they are pretty rammed. I usually go to the gate before a game. Only five mins along the road and the atmostphere is good. Means you can also have a few bars all indoor if it's snowing, which is what the local weather is saying down here!

People have mentioned Sam Jacks. I'd go there. It's just outside the gate.

Three Bulls Heads up Percy Street , straight up towards the Haymarket when you come out the station, gets busy but loadsa barmaids, service,prices and atmosphere are really good 10 mins from the ground,def the best imo, and I,ve been down dozens of times.

TynesidetoTynecastle
Three Bulls Heads up Percy Street , straight up towards the Haymarket when you come out the station, gets busy but loadsa barmaids, service,prices and atmosphere are really good 10 mins from the ground,def the best imo, and I,ve been down dozens of times.

Thats my pre match pub so i'd agree 100% with that:biggrin:

Archived