Is Robbie the best Right Back ever to wear Maroon?

jambos are go!

Don't think Robbie is the best right back in our history

But

He would be one of the first names on my team sheet at the moment

And

He has a very long throw :)

Nucky Thompson
I don't recall him playing much. Did Zico not keep him out of the team on a regular basis or am I getting my era's mixed up?
Early 80's mate. First division drinking campaign.

Randle P McMurphy

Robbie is well down the list of greatest ever right backs. Jim Brown was a good shout, in my time watching Hearts.

However what is forgotten is that football is a team game, its all about the unit and working for each other. In a team environment Robbie comes into his own. He works well with the rest of the back 4, he is enthusiastic, he will put his body where it hurts etc

Based on his first half performance in particular is Robbie the best right back ever to have worn the Maroon. Discuss.

Percy Dawson was.

Buffalo Bill

Would it not be correct to say that Robbie Neilson is the only senior right back at our club? If that is the case, I would say that he is the best senior right back at the club.

Best right back ever to wear maroon? Good god, the op has enjoyed his day, I hope he does not need to drive anywhere tonight.

• 7 years later...
ford donald

Reminds me of the old John Lennon quote...

Interviewer: Do you think Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world?

Lennon: Best drummer in the world? He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles

Him and Robbie.

Bungalow Bill

Steve Frail was twice the right back Robbie was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frail was better than robbie as rb and I think callum Patterson will go on 2 b even better unfortunately just not with us

Alan McLaren started out atRB and was magnificent.

Robbie was solid but by no means the best ever.

Unknown user

He really was, and we shouldn't forget how good pre - injury Locke was

Bobby Kirk or Bobby Parker anyone ?

Christ, on about Bobbys' again :whistling:

If it all came down to one tackle, Robbie would win this argument undoubtably from his tackle against Gretna in the 2006 final.

World class challenge!

Jim Brown?

What I was thinking. Some fanciful talk of him going to Arsenal at the time we played them in a friendly but I thought he was terrific and very consistent.

Chris Shevlene, Ian Sneddon, Walter Kidd,

*Dave MacPherson, *Davie Weir, Craig Paterson were all better right backs than Robbie.

* Centre Backs who played RB for a period.

colinmaroon

Having seen all the right backs from 1956, Steven Frail was the best.  A bit like Gary Locke, injury was a tragedy.

Placid Casual

A great right-back before his injury ? and at the time our main goal threat (we were pretty bad at the time).

I remember the injury happening at Tannadice, right in front of us. We were all gutted.

John Findlay

Bobby Parker and Tam McKenzie for starters.

Then Jim Brown and Walter Kidd.

There's four for starters.

Did Sandy Jardine not play right back for a short spell. Remember him as sweeper mainly tho... Was class.

Reminds me of the Karen Dunbar sketch

from a few years back.

Aye ah used tae see plenty o' Bobby during the war when ma man wiz away fighting.

And who is Bobby ?????

Oh Anybody's Bobby hen !

:rofl:

:gok:

Hammys goal celebrations

I've seen them all since the early 1950s and in my opinion Bobby Kirk has never been bettered, had he played for one of the OF he would have retired with a bundle of Scottish Caps, best left back? a toss up between Davie Holt and Fyssas, Fyssas just shades it even though he was probably past his best by the time he had the honour to pull on a maroon shirt. Tosh McKinlay might also come into the equation.

jambos are go!

Stephen Frail had severe problems in both knees when we signed him - otherwise we could not have afforded him. Great going forward but no match for Robbie defensively or running power. Robbie is our only outright rightback to be capped by Scotland since WWII. Dave Macpherson wore the number 2 a couple of times in extremis for Scotland.

None of the other nominations got anywere near a cap. Neither Did Danny Ferguson who would be my second choice but is not mentioned.

At left back Arthur Mann and Gary Naysmith stand out for me. Tosh MacKinlay above them all. What a footballer a?d everything went through him. Star man against England at Wembley.

siegementality

It shows how bad our right backs have been when this question has even been considered. FFS the you tube footage of all of Robbies best bits would consist of a goal against Basel and a tackle against Gretna.

Diadora Van Basten

Our best right backs were Frail and Locke.

Unfortunately both got injured and never came back the same player.

I think that Craig thomson was the best right back we've had for a few years.

Unknown user

Maybury was really good for us, and I'd say he was better than Robbie at the time. However, he was more adaptable so got played at left back to accommodate them both

PsychocAndy

Alan McLaren.

Jim Brown

Stevie Frail

Gary Locke

Alan Maybury

Elvis was one of the worst, first season, moved in central defence after that .

socrates82

Chris Shevlene, Ian Sneddon, Walter Kidd,

*Dave MacPherson, *Davie Weir, Craig Paterson were all better right backs than Robbie.

* Centre Backs who played RB for a period.

I remember McPherson playing RB for Scotland in the 1990 World Cup finals while a Hearts player (so Levein could play in CD with mcLeish) - did really well. Played there a lot for Rangers too.

Big Davie McPherson had a great game at right back in the 98 Cup Final too. Superb player for Hearts.

Neilson was a good professional and nobody could ever doubt his commitment. That's the best that can be said for him as a player.

We've had classy left backs like Fyssas and Naysmith.

Much harder to call for RB

Bumping threads from 8 years ago should be a straight red IMO.

Maybe not the best, but definitely the most under-rated. His positional sense, ability to play his part in an excellent defensive unit, tackling, and, of course, throw-ins, made him a massive contributor. When Romanov and Burley came in, they could easily have splashed some cash on a new right back but did they?

ScottieMcLaghlin05

Neilson was a consistently average player who was a solid right back. Not the best right back over but gets my vote for the best tackle over. Take that how ever you like  :cheesy:

Why have we had so many more outstanding left backs than right backs? Even when I started watching Hearts, we had Holt, Mann, Oliver. More recently, too many to mention.

Calum Paterson's no bad, though, and Liam Smith looks potentially the most exciting prospect we've had in any position for some time.

Based on his first half performance in particular is Robbie the best right back ever to have worn the Maroon. Discuss.

:gok:

The Old Tolbooth

Apart from that tackle, and that goal, Neilson was no better than a mildly average right back who always gave 100% in games, however sometimes it didn't matter how hard he tried, he was still mildly average.

We_are_the_Hearts

Very limited player with the ball at his feet. Defensively he was very good. Read the game well and tactically disciplined. His best performance for me was as a wing back in Bordeaux. Thought he was great that night against a very good team.

Robbie was efficient if not spectacular.  In my time (Early 70's onwards) the best RB I have seen is Steve Frail.  I would also give a mention to Walter Kidd, not the silkiest player but hard as nails and one of the few to be able to go toe to toe with Davie Cooper.

downunder jambo

Ahhh memories. Arthur Mann, Peter Oliver, Chris Shevlane, Dave Clunie, Jim Brown. Those were the days - I was still at school! Oh well............

Archived