The Cumberland Bar

The Duke

I have got a family thing on tomorrow lunchtime in The Cumberland Bar, please someone tell me they show football on Setanta?????????

Please!!!!!!!!!!!

I have got a family thing on tomorrow lunchtime in The Cumberland Bar, please someone tell me they show football on Setanta?????????

Please!!!!!!!!!!!

naaa, the cumberland is a gay bar, as gay as the day is long. they love the sausage.

It never used to be a "football" pub. Smithies along in Eyre Place is however and it's usually full of Hearts fans. Nip doon , just say you are away to the bank/getting fags etc etc:cool:

However, The Cumberland does have a tenuous Hearts connection. It became The Cumberland in 1993 prior to that it was called The Tilted Wig and was owned by one Paddy Crossan, the son of the great Paddy Crossan of MCCrae's battallion fame. Paddy snr opened what was Paddy's bar on Rose Street Pannd Jnr took it over and sold it in the late 60's and bought the Wig.

I doubt the Cumberland has a telly - mind you the beers pretty good - your best bet is to sneak round the corner as suggested

Pretty sure you are on a loser for the footie at the Cumberland, though it does have excellent beer. A couple of blocks west takes you to the st Vincent, 5 minute walk, they'll have the game on, and a pool table to boot.

maroondoonhamer
Pretty sure you are on a loser for the footie at the Cumberland, though it does have excellent beer. A couple of blocks west takes you to the st Vincent, 5 minute walk, they'll have the game on, and a pool table to boot.

Think he'll get thrown out if he boots the pool table.;);)

The Real Maroonblood
naaa, the cumberland is a gay bar, as gay as the day is long. they love the sausage.

A bit like Robertsons Bar.

The Cumberland is a great boozer for a pint in the beer garden in the summer. Don't think they show fitba though.

Been in lately have we?

Or did you read on here things that you thought you wouldn't like?

I have to admit to finding it quite amusing that a man who can have a picture of a Labrador in their signature with the words, 'It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all' preaching to anyone about where is anywhere decent to share a pint.

Still, each to their own.

:eek: tell me if i'm wrong by all means but i reckon you think i was having a pop at the cumberland bar there. i wasn't. i was making a (seemingly not funny) joke.

cumberland.... sausage....

see? not funny.

The Real Maroonblood
Been in lately have we?

Or did you read on here things that you thought you wouldn't like?

I have to admit to finding it quite amusing that a man who can have a picture of a Labrador in their signature with the words, 'It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all' preaching to anyone about where is anywhere decent to share a pint.

Still, each to their own.

What are you slavering about?

There is nothing wrong with you having a pint in The Cumberland Bar. It serves a top class pint.

What are you slavering about?

There is nothing wrong with you having a pint in The Cumberland Bar. It serves a top class pint.

As does Robbos.

We're agreed.

How did the bitch die?

heartgarfunkel
The Cumberland is a great boozer for a pint in the beer garden in the summer. Don't think they show fitba though.

Not if you're feared of wasps - flight and fight put a table full of drink over a nice, posh and tidy, new girlfriend's cagey parents and their friends in the mid 90's. Full pints and long gins prior to a meal at the Kwe Lin. All drenched, and the once-prospective mother-in-law's big toe cut, swollen and profusely bleeding from heavy ashtray impact. Beer's great though, dispensed from 'full-view' Aitken's tall founts, none of your under-the-counter English hand-pump pish.:o

However, The Cumberland does have a tenuous Hearts connection. It became The Cumberland in 1993 prior to that it was called The Tilted Wig and was owned by one Paddy Crossan, the son of the great Paddy Crossan of MCCrae's battallion fame. Paddy snr opened what was Paddy's bar on Rose Street Pannd Jnr took it over and sold it in the late 60's and bought the Wig.

I doubt the Cumberland has a telly - mind you the beers pretty good - your best bet is to sneak round the corner as suggested

The Tilted Wig had a back room full of old Hearts pictures (featuring, unsurprisingly, P. Crossan senior)

Cumberland bar is full of yahs - but their beer is splendid :)

I was in The Cumberland recently and there was indeed an electric television which was tuned to Sky Sports News, but dunno if they have Setanta ... Clarks Bar round the corner on Dundas Street will no doubt be showing the game though ... and serves a no' bad pint of IPA as well.

I seem to remember catching the end of a match a few years ago, must have been in April/May as it was the game where Celtic were winning the title (in 2004 maybe?) in the Cumberland. So you might be alright.

Bonnie Prince Charlie
I was in The Cumberland recently and there was indeed an electric television which was tuned to Sky Sports News, but dunno if they have Setanta ... Clarks Bar round the corner on Dundas Street will no doubt be showing the game though ... and serves a no' bad pint of IPA as well.

They have a tv but do not have Setanta or Sky. I agree that the best bet, and nearest, is Clarks bar in Dundas Street

Why not call and ask them - or is that just crazy talk?

That's what I thought. Faced with needing to know about what happens somewhere, do I give them a call or post a message on the internet in the hope that someone might not mislead me.

Have you found out yet, Duke? Duke? Are you there?

Anyway, I know they're showing this game at Tynecastle. Better get there.

siegementality
As does Robbos.

We're agreed.

How did the bitch die?

For that comment you deserve a kick in the staines.

siegementality
And you're just the Internet hard man to do it?

Bash on.

I think you need to wind your neck in you little juvenile. Extracting the urine out of someone (a fellow Hearts fan as well) about the death of their dog (if the dog is indeed dead) is bang out of order.

Do yourself a favour and grow up, comments like that, if said to someones face, would probably result in said kick in the staines.

Look upon this as some good advice:).

also, pretty sure keven thomas used to work in there a few years back.

I think you need to wind your neck in you little juvenile. Extracting the urine out of someone (a fellow Hearts fan as well) about the death of their dog (if the dog is indeed dead) is bang out of order.

Do yourself a favour and grow up, comments like that, if said to someones face, would probably result in said kick in the staines.

Look upon this as some good advice:).

Where did I 'extract the urine' oh wise one?

In fact don't bother, I've got a match to attend, I'll try and do some growing up whilst i'm there.

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.

x

Kevin Thomas worked in there as a bar man shortly after his...er...snorting sesh with wee Georgie O'Boyle!

More chance of Hearts players being paid on time, than actually seeing football in there though

siegementality
Where did I 'extract the urine' oh wise one?

In fact don't bother, I've got a match to attend, I'll try and do some growing up whilst i'm there.

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.

x

Signed with a kiss. Just confirms TRMB's original point about some of the clientele that drink in Roberstons eh;).

Signed with a kiss. Just confirms TRMB's original point about some of the clientele that drink in Roberstons eh;).

You better believe it big boy.

Now, really got to dash.

x x x (just for you)

Archived