Held back after a game at the Weeg. Held against our will?

Gambo

There is a topic on Talksport just now about voilence at football.

One caller, a Chelsea fan, phoned in to say that after the recent Liverpool game at Stamford Bridge where Chelsea lost there long unbeaten home record, the atmosphere outside the ground was 'tense' with both sets of supporters leaving at the same time.

As he had his 2 daughters with him who were a wee bit scared, he wrote to the club and asked them why the away supporters are not kept in for a time afterwards, The reply from Chelsea security dept was that it was something they had considered and looked into in the past, but the law forbids them from holding people against their will.

Does this law exist in Scotland and could we use that against them the next time we go through to Glasgow and are denied the opportunity to leave the ground as the game finishes?

I know the law will probably cover for exeptional circumstances which is fine, and no doubt the police would tell us that we are being kept behind for our own safety/protection, but surely if that is the case, the authorities have to look at why that is. If the police cannot guarantee our saftey upon leaving the ground at the same time as everyone else then surely they have to take appropriate action against the 'home' club.

One caller, a Chelsea fan, phoned in to say that after the recent Liverpool game at Stamford Bridge where Chelsea lost there long unbeaten home record, the atmosphere outside the ground was 'tense' with both sets of supporters leaving at the same time.

As he had his 2 daughters with him who were a wee bit scared, he wrote to the club and asked them why the away supporters are not kept in for a time afterwards, The reply from Chelsea security dept was that it was something they had considered and looked into in the past, but the law forbids them from holding people against their will.

Does this law exist in Scotland and could we use that against them the next time we go through to Glasgow and are denied the opportunity to leave the ground as the game finishes?

I know the law will probably cover for exeptional circumstances which is fine, and no doubt the police would tell us that we are being kept behind for our own safety/protection, but surely if that is the case, the authorities have to look at why that is. If the police cannot guarantee our saftey upon leaving the ground at the same time as everyone else then surely they have to take appropriate action against the 'home' club.

I'm sure in Rotterdam, we were kept back about about an hour.

That sucked.

Buffalo Bill

The clubs will just claim that by purchasing a ticket you agree to abide by their stewards and police in situations like this.

Whether its valid or not who knows, but it will take a brave man to argue it with strathclydes finest.

The 20 minutes spent being held behind at Parkhead circa Oct 2005 were very enjoyable i seem to remember.

Can't off the top of my head remember ever being held back anywhere else save for the De Kuip which has been mentioned.

And i was oot ma face in a boat race there so my recollections of that are somewhat hazy.

Guest jambomickey
At the Rangers-Osasuna game, we were kept in for half an hour after the match.

you deserved that for watching one of the bigot brothers:)

you deserved that for watching one of the bigot brothers:)

I watch them every time we play them?

I was in the Osasuna section.

He's talking out of his arse. Chelsea FC held the visiting fans back at the last Champs League game I attended at the Bridge. That was just last season.

I thought it was common practice down there as well.

I know the Liverpool fans definitely get held back at Old Trafford now.

Can't understand the logic in keeping the AWAY fans back. It just gives the home fans time to gather round the away exit. Whereas the away fans would be herded onto their busses ect, if the home fans were held back.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
The 20 minutes spent being held behind at Parkhead circa Oct 2005 were very enjoyable i seem to remember.

Can't off the top of my head remember ever being held back anywhere else save for the De Kuip which has been mentioned.

And i was oot ma face in a boat race there so my recollections of that are somewhat hazy.

That's what I thought as well. Some of the songs were top class as the weegie tosspots left the ground.

Saying that, it would be pretty pish after a 4-0 shafting.

Guest JamboRobbo

I'd imagine the stewards can't hold you back against your will.

I'd imagine the police, on orders from the match commander, can, probably on safety grounds or something like that.

portobellojambo1

I know the law will probably cover for exceptional circumstances which is fine, and no doubt the police would tell us that we are being kept behind for our own safety/protection, but surely if that is the case, the authorities have to look at why that is. If the police cannot guarantee our saftey upon leaving the ground at the same time as everyone else then surely they have to take appropriate action against the 'home' club.

I would agree with what you say above Gambo, that the police force/security staff will be covered by some, probably "unwritten", guideline which is interpreted as ensuring our safety. Where that all goes tits up as far as I am concerned is if they are so intent on protecting us why the feck do they let 40,50,60,000 Rangers/Celtic fans out first, giving them time to mass in groups and threaten us if they so wish.

Would it not make more sense to get the 8 or 900 Hearts fans you are trying to protect out first, and on their way home before you release the cavemen.

He's talking out of his arse. Chelsea FC held the visiting fans back at the last Champs League game I attended at the Bridge. That was just last season.

It would not be Chelsea it would be the police. They would use powers to prevent serious disorder if both sets left at the same time.

I would agree with what you say above Gambo, that the police force/security staff will be covered by some, probably "unwritten", guideline which is interpreted as ensuring our safety. Where that all goes tits up as far as I am concerned is if they are so intent on protecting us why the feck do they let 40,50,60,000 Rangers/Celtic fans out first, giving them time to mass in groups and threaten us if they so wish.

Would it not make more sense to get the 8 or 900 Hearts fans you are trying to protect out first, and on their way home before you release the cavemen.

Thought that myself but came the decision that the police prob wouldnt want 50k fans getting angry in a stadium. Far easier to contain a few hundred fans.

Archived