Greatest ever indirect freekick ?

kingdannyb

Fantastic! Why don't people do that more often?!

Because referees wouldn't allow it.

Somethingto do with the ball not travelling its circumference, or being kicked properly or something like that.

The Willie Carr example (the second clip) - that type of move was soon outlawed.

The first example, I'm sure there was something similar in the SPL a few years ago and it was ordered to be retaken (I could have made that up though, but it rings a bell).

Slightly off toic but something I've never understood from indirect freekicks from around 6/7 yards out (after a goalie picks up a backpass). Usually they touch the ball to the side and someone blasts it and by then the defenders are that close there is no chance of the ball going in.

Why doesn't someone just blast it straight at goal as it's 100% guaranteed to take a nick off someone on the way into the net but it means the defence can't charge it down.

Slightly off toic but something I've never understood from indirect freekicks from around 6/7 yards out (after a goalie picks up a backpass). Usually they touch the ball to the side and someone blasts it and by then the defenders are that close there is no chance of the ball going in.

Why doesn't someone just blast it straight at goal as it's 100% guaranteed to take a nick off someone on the way into the net but it means the defence can't charge it down.

Do you mean without passing it? cos then it wouldn't be indirect.

Do you mean without passing it? cos then it wouldn't be indirect.

But as long as it hits off a defender then it would count....

I can see the point he is trying to make but I think most prefer to touch it back the way so the wall becomes further away.

See Barry Robson at Tannadice last season around the festive period against us last season for a text book in the box indirect free kick.

Somethingto do with the ball not travelling its circumference, or being kicked properly or something like that.

The Willie Carr example (the second clip) - that type of move was soon outlawed.

The first example, I'm sure there was something similar in the SPL a few years ago and it was ordered to be retaken (I could have made that up though, but it rings a bell).

It was because the player who was setting up the goal was deemed to be taking at least two touches.

Captain Price

i remember at tannadice when the ball was looping into the goal and banks caught it and the besterds scored from an indirect free kick when they did exactly that! if any other team did that(apart from the old firm) it would have been disallowed!

I think it was banned by the FA because they ruled that particular kick counted as a 'double touch' of the ball and was technically a foul in itself.

Shame really.

I've thought that for ages.

Wish our guys would give it a try sometime.

boabyarsebiscuit

If you google the ECWC semi-final Man City v Chelsea you will see scorer in one of the legs as "Healey OG". Healey was the Man City keeper who touched a Keith Weller indirect free-kick on the way in. If he'd stood and watched, and not touched the ball, no goal.

EDIT: 1971 ECWC semi.

When you think that the distance from the penalty spot to the goal line is 12 long yards, I would say the average SPL 'wall' is only about 8 yards from the ball.

A case for technology being introduced?

Has anyone seen the spraypaint that refs can use now to mark to distance? It disappears after a couple of minutes.

Buffalo Bill

Yeh, 2 things, they cant flick the ball up like that cos it's deemed a double touch.

It used to be the case that the ball had to travel it's own circumference, but this got changed a year or two ago and the ball just needs to be touched to become active (the Henry, Pires penalty for example, the ball was just brushed but became active)

Unless, ofcourse, I'm wrong!!!

jambos are go!

Any clips of a team taking a 'dummy' corner then scoring . Happens when the corner taker merely nudges the ball in front of the linesman then runs away as someone else runs up to apparently take the corner. After some posturing in the box the dummy corner taker then just runs into the box with the ball causing havoc

Any clips of a team taking a 'dummy' corner then scoring . Happens when the corner taker merely nudges the ball in front of the linesman then runs away as someone else runs up to apparently take the corner. After some posturing in the box the dummy corner taker then just runs into the box with the ball causing havoc

pub teams love that trick

I hate you Shaun. :mad:

I searched for that goal on Youtube yesterday with no joy. I also tried to find a goal Leeds scored against West Ham in about 74, 75 when they made about 65 passes before scoring.

1 min 19 secs in.

It was Southampton (I assume this is it? No goal though)

You are right Boris, the Saints it was. Dirty Dirty Leeds, were a much better team than people give them credit for. If I recall rightly it was Chelsea who used to kick them off the park.

1 min 19 secs in.

It was Southampton (I assume this is it? No goal though)

Yeah, I wondered if Deek meant that! Along with Liverpool 5-0 Nottingham Forest 1988, and the generally unheralded Manchester United 5-0 Sheffield Wednesday in 1994, that remains one of the greatest exhibitions in English football history.

Still **** myself every time I see Astle's 'goal' for West Brom though... :P

You are right Boris, the Saints it was. Dirty Dirty Leeds, were a much better team than people give them credit for. If I recall rightly it was Chelsea who used to kick them off the park.

Which was even funnier! Get a reputation as an early riser, and you can stay in bed til noon.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_5sZ4-LRA&feature=related

Not forgetting, of course, one of the greatest Cup Finals ever:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tyc82dSnEoE&feature=related

Yeh, 2 things, they cant flick the ball up like that cos it's deemed a double touch.

It used to be the case that the ball had to travel it's own circumference, but this got changed a year or two ago and the ball just needs to be touched to become active (the Henry, Pires penalty for example, the ball was just brushed but became active)

Unless, ofcourse, I'm wrong!!!

This part is a myth, the law always stated that the ball had to move, this was you correctly say was changed to "once the ball is touched".

A goal Hearts scored against M'well in the 90's, Gary MacKay rolled the ball under his foot to take the kick. this all happened too quick for the defence. They complained like hell to everyone, all the tossers in the game who dont know the laws (journalists, pundits, players, etc) then started spouting this pesh about the ball should move a circumference. Considering the circumference is 28", a bit far before any other player can touch it don't you think. How the ufck could an official ever police a ruling like that.

It amazes me that a sport can be played (& reported) by thousands of pros that know very little about the actual Laws of the Game. Sorry Mr Baird, this is not a rant at you.

The People's Chimp
Have you got the url for that mate? Can't find it on youtube

sorry, just typed the url and it embedded it. haha. at the end of the video you'll get the url, copy it and chop off the bit after eurl.

:)

This part is a myth, the law always stated that the ball had to move, this was you correctly say was changed to "once the ball is touched".

A goal Hearts scored against M'well in the 90's, Gary MacKay rolled the ball under his foot to take the kick. this all happened too quick for the defence. They complained like hell to everyone, all the tossers in the game who dont know the laws (journalists, pundits, players, etc) then started spouting this pesh about the ball should move a circumference. Considering the circumference is 28", a bit far before any other player can touch it don't you think. How the ufck could an official ever police a ruling like that.

It amazes me that a sport can be played (& reported) by thousands of pros that know very little about the actual Laws of the Game. Sorry Mr Baird, this is not a rant at you.

And not taken as one Mr Ecc! Always thought the circumference thing was weird. I had an inkling that that incident was M'wellbut couldnt find any reason why i would remember it! The fact that Hearts were the other team would explain that then!! I have no memory. Hard paper roond!

It infuriates me most when commentators and co-'expert' will watch 3 replays of an incident, and still not interpret the rule or play correctly!! These guys are the real wage-thieves!!!!

Has anyone seen the video on Youtube called "the strangest penalty kick ever" the guy has to take the penalty about 7 times. The goaly saves one of them and even that one has to be retaken. It is a total farce but really funny to watch.

Archived