The SPL and Celtic leading it

Broxburn Jambo

Broxburn Jambo

Aalborg looked no better than an average SPL side, so how did they manage to beat Celtic?

Could it be possible that the referees in Europe are not provided by the SFA?

Aalborg looked no better than an average SPL side, so how did they manage to beat Celtic?

That, as well as the point that the psychology of CL games are very different. Celtic expect to win away to non-OF sides here, and their opponents probably expect the worst too - in Europe, they have a huge great monkey on their backs, and any side playing at home fancies its chances.

that would certainly be one contributing factor, and quite a big one.

the scottish domestic game is a complete joke and isn't really even a true sporting contest when matches involve either of the filth.

perhaps the media hacks will stumble upon this truth one day.... perhaps not.

Aalborg would pump us and any other SPL team outwith the old firm. There league is no doubt miles better than our back water, and they are the champions.

YES.

Celtic do not know how to react in Europe when they don't get away with the things they get away with back home week in week out.

I said it on the match thread, they don't get the ahem 'rub of the green' in Europe as they most certainly do here = Celtic always lose away in Europe. I would seriously like to see how many games they would start losing if they were to bring in properly impartial referees to ref their games here (and those other parasites in blue)

Aalborg would pump us and any other SPL team outwith the old firm. There league is no doubt miles better than our back water, and they are the champions.

nonsense.

Aalborg were gash and were there for the taking, fortunately though Celtic are not used to having a referee who will not fall for the things our referees do when it comes to Celtic, and there for fell flat on their backsides.:).

The SFA refs are ****.

Aalborg were no better than Dundee United or Killie but because of a fair ref Celtic didn't know what to do. You can guarantee if that was reffed by a Conroy or Smith then Celtic would have had a penalty and Aalborg would have been down to 10 men.

Broxburn Jambo

If you believe that, you were watching a different game than me, like most SPL sides they had 1 or 2 good players and the rest were pretty ordinary.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

They got a penalty in the first game and blew that.

The reason they are out? They are pish.

SPL is an absolute joke and I for one hate it.

I said it on the match thread, they don't get the ahem 'rub of the green' in Europe as they most certainly do here = Celtic always lose away in Europe. I would seriously like to see how many games they would start losing if they were to bring in properly impartial referees to ref their games here (and those other parasites in blue)

Well how many points have the officials secured for Celtic this season so far?

Off the top of my head I can think of the penalty that DUFC didn't get, the last minute goal Aberdeen were denied, St Mirren at 0-0 when Boruc does a McGregor on Elliot assault and similarly gets away with it...The referees in all these incidents are known to be Celtic fans.

Sellick are gash and have been for years.

Over achieving at home has brought undeserved success and Strapon knows it.

Well how many points have the officials secured for Celtic this season so far?

Off the top of my head I can think of the penalty that DUFC didn't get, the last minute goal Aberdeen were denied, St Mirren at 0-0 when Boruc does a McGregor on Elliot assault and similarly gets away with it...The referees in all these incidents are known to be Celtic fans.

St. Midden player sent off in first game of season?

It is okay though because things will even themselves out.......Rangers will get as many dodgy decisions. (That is what 'even themselves out' means to the GFA and weegie media).:eek:

the media are hardly liable to start a groundswell of opinion to the effect that the OF have been receiving preferential treatment for decades.... they themselves have a vested interest in retaining the status quo in scottish football. the glasgow football meeja mafia are well and truly entrenched upon the gravy train in more ways than one.

the refereeing fraternity are well and truly handcuffed when it comes to making decisions in games. the difficult thing to do for the is to be fully focused and objective because they will always have the underlying fear of over-the-top attention from the less than sensible elements within the OF supports.... bricks through windows, cars trashed, being tailed by private detectives.... it's all been done. the easy thing for them is to do enough to keep a quiet life.

the whole set up here is as bent as a nine bob note.

St. Midden player sent off in first game of season?

It is okay though because things will even themselves out.......Rangers will get as many dodgy decisions. (That is what 'even themselves out' means to the GFA and weegie media).:eek:

I dunno? How many refs have the Gers got these days? Anyone got a better memory than me?

I can think of Smith, Conroy and Collum as Celtic fans and only McCurry for Rangers

They got a penalty in the first game and blew that.

The reason they are out? They are pish.

SPL is an absolute joke and I for one hate it.

That's the beginning and end of it in truth. Celtic have overachieved greatly in Europe the past couple of years because of the Parkhead factor. Their results there have been extraordinary at times, even while often being outplayed and certainly outfootballed by technically superior opponents. The crowd intimidate the opposition and maybe the officials - and the confidence inspired by their record enables the players to believe almost anything is possible.

But away from home, that simply melts away. This time, psychology is against them - and if you look down the years, they've actually had at best one chance a season (and sometimes not even that) to finally win on the road. Juventus, Porto, Bayern Munich, Lyon, Milan, Barcelona, Man Utd, Benfica, Villarreal - they're never, ever going to win at places like that. Then there have been Rosenborg and Shahktar: not great clubs but with excellent European records at home: that's tough too. Anderlecht, and especially Copenhagen and Aalborg are a different story though: all should've been very beatable, but when you're on a run like this, fear tends to get the better of you.

But the truth has always been closer to what's happened to them this season - and no club can keep punching above their weight forever. I do wonder, though, if this heralds the start of another depressingly farrow period for Scottish clubs in Europe a la the '90s; or if this season is just a one-off.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
That's the beginning and end of it in truth. Celtic have overachieved greatly in Europe the past couple of years because of the Parkhead factor. Their results there have been extraordinary at times, even while often being outplayed and certainly outfootballed by technically superior opponents. The crowd intimidate the opposition and maybe the officials - and the confidence inspired by their record enables the players to believe almost anything is possible.

But away from home, that simply melts away. This time, psychology is against them - and if you look down the years, they've actually had at best one chance a season (and sometimes not even that) to finally win on the road. Juventus, Porto, Bayern Munich, Lyon, Milan, Barcelona, Man Utd, Benfica, Villarreal - they're never, ever going to win at places like that. Then there have been Rosenborg and Shahktar: not great clubs but with excellent European records at home: that's tough too. Anderlecht, and especially Copenhagen and Aalborg are a different story though: all should've been very beatable, but when you're on a run like this, fear tends to get the better of you.

But the truth has always been closer to what's happened to them this season - and no club can keep punching above their weight forever. I do wonder, though, if this heralds the start of another depressingly farrow period for Scottish clubs in Europe a la the '90s; or if this season is just a one-off.

It struck me tonight and against Man Utd that their players are miles slower,weaker and technically poorer than the opposition players.

They can't even bully teams like O'Neils teams used to do because guys like Maloney and McDonald just can't compete and the fitness of players in the Champions League these days is just exceptional.

They have blown it. They haven't even looked solid at home this season.

Scottish football is on the slide after a lucky season last season if you ask me.

Strachans policy of signing good SPL standard players has backfired miserably this season although they are looking good for a 4th title in a row.

Suppose it depends on what Sellick crave more ... being able to compete in Europe or do enough domestically. I reckon they need a new manager if Europe is their desire.

It struck me tonight and against Man Utd that their players are miles slower,weaker and technically poorer than the opposition players.

They can't even bully teams like O'Neils teams used to do because guys like Maloney and McDonald just can't compete and the fitness of players in the Champions League these days is just exceptional.

Scottish football is on the slide after a lucky season last season if you ask me.

Strachans policy of signing good SPL standard players has backfired miserably this season although they are looking good for a 4th title in a row.

Suppose it depends on what Sellick crave more ... being able to compete in Europe or do enough domestically. I reckon they need a new manager if Europe is their desire.

I agree with all of that. I think they're realistic enough, though, to expect no more than the CL groups most years: Strachan's been regarded as a dream manager by their board because he's spent less than MON, and rarely if ever complained about it. You have to think just competing with one another will get boring for the OF though; just as it's boring and depressing for the rest of us. They want to leave, we want them to go; but we're stuck with them. It's a lose-lose situation. :sad:

They are stuck in a Catch 22. They need better competition in Scotland in order to compete in Europe but they know that beating Rangers is more important to their fans so they have to weaken other SPL teams so that the title comes down to OF games. Rangers have the exact same conundrum.

SPL sides regularly get put out of Europe by far lesser teams than aalborg.

Yep, usually Hibs - because Celtic take all their best players...

The coefficients will suffer, it will be a good while before a Scottish team is in Europe after xmas.

Archived