A goal to remember

neverlikedElvis

i've actually never seen that before. seen a pic of tommy murray sitting on the ball, but not the actual goal itself. oh the cheeky wee sod, that really made me smile

Miller Jambo 60
i've actually never seen that before. seen a pic of tommy murray sitting on the ball, but not the actual goal itself. oh the cheeky wee sod, that really made me smile

Bev was there and that was the pash take of the century.

Hearts player would prob get booked for doing that to the gers now. Great video though.

Hearts player would prob get booked for doing that to the gers now. Great video though.

scoring or sitting on the ball?

one of those on saturday would do very nicely thank you.

That was the year i was born and always remember my dad telling me about it. He also told me another player sat on the ball during a game as well, a Partick Thistle player i think, can anyone remember who it was?

But this ones the dogs cause of who its against and a goal came from it.

Sticking my neck out here, but after that game I'm reasonably sure the SFA instructed refs to book players for "ungentlemanly conduct" if they repeated the trick.

willie johnstone had done it the season before and they beat us 6-0 oh they said it was sport at it's best, wee tommy murry did it the next time we played them (that was the only goal of the game in the 90th min) and it was outlawed,, some things never change GFA spangles

brilliant,great strip wish this seasons away one had have been the same.

I agree mate-We look like bloody dundee reserves .It would be a great strip in maroon imo,what do you guys think?

The Old Tolbooth
Sticking my neck out here, but after that game I'm reasonably sure the SFA instructed refs to book players for "ungentlemanly conduct" if they repeated the trick.

Your absolutely correct mate, I wonder how it would have been perceived had it been the other way around however!

Although it's been on kickback a hundred times before, it's one I will never tire of watching, absolutely fantastic! (even though we were played off the park for the entire game :))

Chad Sexington

You're bang on. They were spewing and didn't want a repeat of it.

In other news, because of a small laundry crisis at Sexington Manor, I'm actually wearing a replica of that Ajax type strip as I type this.

Spooky.

derek_acorah_new.jpg

John Gentleman

I'm auld enough to remember Jim Baxter's ba' sit against Engerlund tae. Arrogance? Aye. Symbolism, 10/10. IIRC, it was the first game they (Engerlund) played after they had won the World Cup.

OK, he was a Hun, but I'm 55 now and if somebody asked the question, "Who'se the most talented and gifted Scottish player you've ever witnessed?", my answer would be 'Slim Jim'.

I'm auld enough to remember Jim Baxter's ba' sit against Engerlund tae. Arrogance? Aye. Symbolism, 10/10. IIRC, it was the first game they (Engerlund) played after they had won the World Cup.

OK, he was a Hun, but I'm 55 now and if somebody asked the question, "Who'se the most talented and gifted Scottish player you've ever witnessed?", my answer would be 'Slim Jim'.

Actually he never sat on the ball; he played keepie uppie with it and then ran off without the ball and Stiles, I think, chased him leaving the ball lying for the next Scot up to take it on and only a great save from Banks off Law stopped us scoring one of the greatest goals in history. Baxter maybe not as talented as Willie Hamilton but he drank a lot less.

One other point.. listen to the roar for Ford's goal in the (unsegregated) days when we took a fair number of fans to Glasgow. Also I like Montford's idea of a low cross!

John Gentleman
Actually he never sat on the ball; he played keepie uppie with it and then ran off without the ball and Stiles, I think, chased him leaving the ball lying for the next Scot up to take it on and only a great save from Banks off Law stopped us scoring one of the greatest goals in history. Baxter maybe not as talented as Willie Hamilton but he drank a lot less.

One other point.. listen to the roar for Ford's goal in the (unsegregated) days when we took a fair number of fans to Glasgow. Also I like Montford's idea of a low cross!

Fair enough - permit me a 'Senior's Moment'. It's entrenched in my mind that he sat on it, but I'm probably melding this distant memory with some other game. A bit like Krushcev's (sp?) banging his shoe on the desk at the UN - everybody old enough would swear on a bible that he DID it, but there is no textual or video evidence that he did. Received wisdom is that he WAVED his shoe, but didn't thump it on his desk.

Funny old thing the mind, in't it?

Was at that game and we were being murdered 0-0.

Our wee pocket of travelling fans went mental when Fordy scored.

Der hun was fuming at that, however it was apparently OK for Willie Johnston to have done it earlier that season against their arch enemies in a SLCF at Hampden.

Note also that a certain Mr Jardine didn't cover himself in defensive glory when the bold Tommy sat on the ball.

Fair enough - permit me a 'Senior's Moment'. It's entrenched in my mind that he sat on it, but I'm probably melding this distant memory with some other game. A bit like Krushcev's (sp?) banging his shoe on the desk at the UN - everybody old enough would swear on a bible that he DID it, but there is no textual or video evidence that he did. Received wisdom is that he WAVED his shoe, but didn't thump it on his desk.

Funny old thing the mind, in't it?

Here's the game in question:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F01b-h8sbqw

Sadly, the Baxter incident doesn't seem to be included; but it was clearly some contest. Great goals, slapstick defending, appalling refereeing, world class players all over the pitch, a Scottish goalkeeping moment for England's fourth, and an amusingly biased commentary by Ken Wolstenholme. I can't help but look at that Scottish teamsheet and wonder: with those players, how did that side not achieve so much more?

There doesn't seem to be any video footage of Nikita On Tour in the Big Apple, unfortunately - though this is what Wiki says about the shoe banging moment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-banging_incident

Archived