Reserves v St Mirren (tuesday)

Charlie-Brown

Reserves away to St Mirren at Love Street 2pm kick off on tuesday - anyone planning on going to this game? :)

I'll be there. No. 9 bus passes my door.

PS - For anyone else intending going St Mirren are one of the few clubs who charge admission for reserve games, the others being Celtic - funny that!!!

SPL Reserve League: St Mirren 1-0 Hearts

From Hearts News at St Mirren Park

Jim Hamilton netted the only goal of the game, this afternoon, as St Mirren snatched a late goal to defeat Hearts reserves at Love Street, this afternoon.

Kello: Thomson, McGowan, Rapnik, Park; Mackle, M Stewart (Husband, 45), J Stewart (Brown, 58), Templeton; Obua (R Wallace, 45), Glen. Subs not used: Ridgers, Kelly, McLaughlin, Makela.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1466409,00.html

Not long in from the game so here goes. It'll be interesting to see if my report is anything like Forrester Jambo's.

The first half was a bit of a non-event to be honest, with St Mirren slightly shading the possession. Nothing much to report except for a shot from Sean Mackle after about 7 minutes which went just past the post.

Stewart and Obua went off at half-time, replaced by Wallace and Husband, and the difference was very noticeable. Wallace and Templeton buzzed about all over the place and gave the St Mirren defenders a torrid time while Husband bossed the midfield. Hearts dominated the second half and it was clear there was only going to be one winner (until Jim Hamilton scored with a peach of a free kick to win the game for St Mirren). The fact that it should never have been a free kick in the first place made it worse, one of the many strange decisions the referee gave against both teams. Hearts pushed for an equalizer and Matty Park hit the bar with a screamer in the last minute with the keeper beaten but St Mirren held on for the win.

I always think the performance is more important than the result in these games but, to be honest, the performance in the first half was pretty lacklustre, with a vast improvement in the second half.

Marian Kello - didn't have a lot to do but what he had to he did well. Has obviously been practising his kicking which was much improved. No chance with the goal. 6

Jason Thomson - Appeared over casual at times but had some nice overlapping runs down the right. 6

Ryan McGowan - Another solid performance from Ryan. 7

Matthew Park - A couple of misplaced passes early on but ended up having a solid game and unlucky not to score at the end. 6

Matej Rapnik - Built like a tank and won everything in the air. Looks far older than his years and plays like it as well. Unlucky to be booked for persistent fouling because most of them weren't fouls. My MOTM. 8

Jonathan Stewart - Did OK but a bit more subdued than I've seen him - 6

Sean Mackle - Continues to disappoint me and doesn't look the player he was a couple of years ago. Some nice touches all the same. I wish I knew why he's still wearing a heavy bandage on his knee. 6

Michael Stewart - Strolled through the first half and was obviously only there for the exercise. Sprayed some nice passes about. 6

David Obua - Same as Stewart, apart from falling down a lot and looking for free kicks. 6

Gary Glen - Pretty anonymous for most of the game, kept getting caught offside. Not the Gary Glen we saw in the first team last season. 6

David Templeton - Quiet in the first half but linked up well with Ryan Wallace in the second half. Gave the defenders a lot of trouble. Could have scored if Hubby had passed to him instead of shooting. 7

Subs

Jonny Brown - Not on for long enough to make a great impression but did nothing wrong either. 6

Steven Husband - Bossed the midfield after coming on for the second half. 7

Ryan Wallace - Caused the defence loads of trouble and some of his close control was a joy to watch. 7

Referee D Nicholls - Blew for fouls after the slightest contact and some of the bookings were a joke (Gary Glen and Jim Hamilton - fouls, yes but bookings, never) Matej Rapnik's booking for persistent fouling was a joke, and not a very funny one. 4

This was the proverbial game of two halves, the first being a disappointment and the second a vastly improved performance. We should remember that this is a very young Hearts team and St Mirren looked far more experienced. For those interested, here's the St Mirren Team:

Chris Smith

David Barron

Ryan McCay (impressive)

Andy Millen

Marc McAusland

Scott Cuthbert

Darren Cowan

Ben Carson

Jim Hamilton

Sean Burns

Mark McLennan

Subs

Jake Cunningham

Scott Gair

Rhys Devlin

Sean Crichton

He waiting determination for Livingston betwen clubs and make practice with Livi.
So is Branny definitely going to Livingston on loan then? Might be a good move for him that.

Thought we played with a tempo that was too slow at times and early it seemed like we trying to play the ball out from the back but St. Mirren's urgency meant this wasn't really possible. We seemed to spend much of the first ten minutes passing the ball among the back four, who were being closed down all the time, before giving it back to St. Mirren.

When we did get into the final third we did look dangerous and Mackle really should have done a lot better with his chance. He had the space to drive in on the keeper and convert an easy chance. Instead he miscontrolled the ball with his first touch, took two touches to regain full control and then stopped, letting the ball roll for a second, before shooting wide.

The second half was much better for the first 20 minutes. St. Mirren looked unable to deal with the pace of the youngsters and our dominance was held even more when McGowan moved into midfield. Templeton playing in the middle as opposed to out on the left was a big reason for this as well.

The game went very stale at this point but St. Mirren were the team in the ascendancy when they got the goal, and what a goal. A postage stamp free-kick from Hamilton from twenty-five yards that Kello did well to even get a hand too. Hamilton, it should be noted, was the best player on the park by a mile and was constantly causing trouble for the Hearts defenders.

Thought Park's late shot took a deflection but I could be wrong, I sat in the media bit (on my own but with more comfortable leather seats :)) so had a pillar in the way.

Didn't think the ref was that bad. His booking on Rapnik for persistant fouling seemed to be given for persistant fouling ON Hamilton from Hearts as a team. Hamilton's booking was the ref taking revenge for Hamilton never shutting up for the entire game.

Ratings

Kello 6 - Dropped one cross that could have cost us. Held the other crosses and had little to do otherwise.

Thomson 6 - Played first two passes out of touch, made a crucial block from Hamilton to deny him scoring before giving away the free kick that led to the goal.

Park 7 - Looked a danger going forward and equipped himself well in defence despite not recieving enough decent protection from Mackle.

McGowan 6 - Struggled badly in the air against Hamilton and his confidence seemed to wane as a result. In the 2nd hald he played a ball straight out of play under pressure when Gowser would usually have attempted the pass to Johnny Stewart that was on. Found fresh confidence when moved into midfield and added a threat going forward.

Rapnik 7 - Hearts best player over the 90 minutes. Went up against the other St. Mirren forward who was a lot easier to deal with than Hamilton, handled him very well and never put a foot wrong.

J. Stewart 6 - Gave the ball away a lot more than he usually does but still mopped up well in the centre of the park.

Mackle 6 - Should have done better with his early attempt and seems to be struggling with confidence at the moment. Never really looked like causing problems.

M. Stewart 7 - Started very slowly but got more into it as the half went on. Was causing St. Mirren a few problems towards the end of the half as he pushed further forward. Taken off at half time.

Templeton 7 - Quiet in the first half, alienated out left but looked a lot better second half as he was involved in just about everything good we did in attack. Possess great skill and dribbling ability.

Obua 6 - Some nice close control but goes down far too easy. This run-out was just about him getting some more match sharpness and he didn't appear to take it any more seriously than that.

Glen 6 - Too quiet from him as he struggled to make an impact in the lone striker role.

subs

Wallace 7 - Added an option outwide that we never had in the first half, constantly troubled their right back.

Husband 8 - Kept possession much better in the second half because of his introduction and a superb long range pass almost led to a late equaliser.

J. Brown 6 - Never really did much or had much to do in his half an hour.

Carl Weathers

Who are the top prospects in the youths and reserves?

I always seem to hear about Rapnik and Templeton.

Is there anyone else staking a claim (not sure what is happening with Glen).

Who are the top prospects in the youths and reserves?

I always seem to hear about Rapnik and Templeton.

Is there anyone else staking a claim (not sure what is happening with Glen).

I'd be very surprised if we don't see close to half these players playing in the first team at some point in the future:

Reserves

Matej Rapnik

David Templeton

Ryan McGowan

Gary Glen

Jonathan Brown

Jonathan Stewart

Under-19s

Conrad Balatoni

Craig Thomson

Ryan Wallace

Carl Weathers
I'd be very surprised if more than half of these didn't make it:

Reserves

Matej Rapnik

David Templeton

Ryan McGowan

Gary Glen

Jonathan Brown

Jonathan Stewart

Under-19s

Conrad Balatoni

Craig Thomson

Ryan Wallace

Cheers!

Charlie-Brown
I'd be very surprised if we don't see close to half these players playing in the first team at some point in the future:

Reserves

Matej Rapnik

David Templeton

Ryan McGowan

Gary Glen

Jonathan Brown

Jonathan Stewart

Under-19s

Conrad Balatoni

Craig Thomson

Ryan Wallace

Apart from Templeton & Ryan McGowan technically all those players are still eligible for the U19's this season, others in the U19 this season who are excellent prospects are Mikey Deland & Dylan McGowan whilst younger ones like John Woods & Scott Robinson are cracking players as well and the injured duo of Visconte and Danny Thomson can hopefully make a full recovery.....Wagner has improved a lot recently and the new Lithuanian kid Arvydas Novikovas looks to be a good catch on the limited evidence so far.

Thought we played with a tempo that was too slow at times and early it seemed like we trying to play the ball out from the back but St. Mirren's urgency meant this wasn't really possible. We seemed to spend much of the first ten minutes passing the ball among the back four, who were being closed down all the time, before giving it back to St. Mirren.

When we did get into the final third we did look dangerous and Mackle really should have done a lot better with his chance. He had the space to drive in on the keeper and convert an easy chance. Instead he miscontrolled the ball with his first touch, took two touches to regain full control and then stopped, letting the ball roll for a second, before shooting wide.

The second half was much better for the first 20 minutes. St. Mirren looked unable to deal with the pace of the youngsters and our dominance was held even more when McGowan moved into midfield. Templeton playing in the middle as opposed to out on the left was a big reason for this as well.

The game went very stale at this point but St. Mirren were the team in the ascendancy when they got the goal, and what a goal. A postage stamp free-kick from Hamilton from twenty-five yards that Kello did well to even get a hand too. Hamilton, it should be noted, was the best player on the park by a mile and was constantly causing trouble for the Hearts defenders.

Thought Park's late shot took a deflection but I could be wrong, I sat in the media bit (on my own but with more comfortable leather seats :)) so had a pillar in the way.

Didn't think the ref was that bad. His booking on Rapnik for persistant fouling seemed to be given for persistant fouling ON Hamilton from Hearts as a team. Hamilton's booking was the ref taking revenge for Hamilton never shutting up for the entire game.

Ratings

Kello 6 - Dropped one cross that could have cost us. Held the other crosses and had little to do otherwise.

Thomson 6 - Played first two passes out of touch, made a crucial block from Hamilton to deny him scoring before giving away the free kick that led to the goal.

Park 7 - Looked a danger going forward and equipped himself well in defence despite not recieving enough decent protection from Mackle.

McGowan 6 - Struggled badly in the air against Hamilton and his confidence seemed to wane as a result. In the 2nd hald he played a ball straight out of play under pressure when Gowser would usually have attempted the pass to Johnny Stewart that was on. Found fresh confidence when moved into midfield and added a threat going forward.

Rapnik 7 - Hearts best player over the 90 minutes. Went up against the other St. Mirren forward who was a lot easier to deal with than Hamilton, handled him very well and never put a foot wrong.

J. Stewart 6 - Gave the ball away a lot more than he usually does but still mopped up well in the centre of the park.

Mackle 6 - Should have done better with his early attempt and seems to be struggling with confidence at the moment. Never really looked like causing problems.

M. Stewart 7 - Started very slowly but got more into it as the half went on. Was causing St. Mirren a few problems towards the end of the half as he pushed further forward. Taken off at half time.

Templeton 7 - Quiet in the first half, alienated out left but looked a lot better second half as he was involved in just about everything good we did in attack. Possess great skill and dribbling ability.

Obua 6 - Some nice close control but goes down far too easy. This run-out was just about him getting some more match sharpness and he didn't appear to take it any more seriously than that.

Glen 6 - Too quiet from him as he struggled to make an impact in the lone striker role.

subs

Wallace 7 - Added an option outwide that we never had in the first half, constantly troubled their right back.

Husband 8 - Kept possession much better in the second half because of his introduction and a superb long range pass almost led to a late equaliser.

J. Brown 6 - Never really did much or had much to do in his half an hour.

Nice to see that you and I were at the same game today and saw, more or less, the same things.

Reserves

Matej Rapnik

David Templeton

Ryan McGowan

Gary Glen

Jonathan Brown

Jonathan Stewart

Under-19s

Conrad Balatoni

Craig Thomson

Ryan Wallace

Good reports...

Would you not say Husband looks good for progressing? or have you not included him due there bring too much competition for him in the first team just now?

What the ****?

Was certain I'd wrote down Husband. Must have deleted him by accident on my edit as I added a couple more.

Apologies, Hubby should definitely be on that list.

Archived