The Scotch Pie Thread.

this_is_my_story

this_is_my_story

Just put away a couple of Bains' finest. Absolutely marvellous. For those not in the know, Bains is a butcher at Stenhouse Cross, whose scotch pies have to be amongst the best in the land. Another good place to get them is the wee butchers opposite the Carrick Knowe pub, and I reckon Goodfellow & Steven do a cracking hawk eye as well.

Any other purveyors of braw scotch pies I should be knowing about? :)

Just put away a couple of Bains' finest. Absolutely marvellous. For those not in the know, Bains is a butcher at Stenhouse Cross, whose scotch pies have to be amongst the best in the land. Another good place to get them is the wee butchers opposite the Carrick Knowe pub, and I reckon Goodfellow & Steven do a cracking hawk eye as well.

Word - Baines pies are the bomb. That delicatessen on Gorgie Road on match days sells 'em too.

Goodmorningmrfisherman

Bains do mince pies,true scotch pies are made from mutton.

2 great choices OP you may want to try the butcher on Lanark rd west at the riccarton rd junction also very good.

Had a haggis pie today, it was smashing.

I had a chicken and haggis pie, with a dode of pepper sauce on top.

Goddam it was good.

Pies are up there with bacon and sausages in my book. In fact, maybe even better.

this_is_my_story

2 great choices OP you may want to try the butcher on Lanark rd west at the riccarton rd junction also very good.

No pie pedantry please. :P

Technically (jeez, I can't believe I'm using that word in a thread about pies) you're right though.

I had a chicken and haggis pie, with a dode of pepper sauce on top.

Goddam it was good.

Pies are up there with bacon and sausages in my book. In fact, maybe even better.

Where does one find such a rare delicacy?

this_is_my_story
When exactly did they become "scotch" pies? They were always mince pies when I was younger.

Is it to make them sound more glamorous?

Know what you mean, I just didn't want any confusion with Xmas style mince pies- 'cos they're cack. :P

Bains pies are nice but i always get indigestion after eating them, is this because i eat them too fast or does anyone else suffer this problem?

suicidalpostie

that will be martin mcgills.

they also do the pies like bains

they do a thing called black eyed

jack its slice with black pud running

through it..mmm fekin marvelous

Where does one find such a rare delicacy?

It was Tesco I think.

Made by the good folks at "Premium Pastry Co".

Quite frankly, if a crispy pastry shell filled with succulent chicken and haggis, in a creamy white sauce and topped with a premium puff pastry lid doesn't make your mouth water, you're a hobo or a nonce.

Or both.

this_is_my_story

Also worthy of an honourable mention are the macaroni cheese & chicken curry numbers from Goodfellow & Steven. Much brawness.

Goodmorningmrfisherman

Hands up,how many of you have had the mince from a hot bains pie running down your shirt:eek:

Or am I the only slaister:booze:

It was Tesco I think.

Made by the good folks at "Premium Pastry Co".

Quite frankly, if a crispy pastry shell filled with succulent chicken and haggis, in a creamy white sauce and topped with a premium puff pastry lid doesn't make your mouth water, you're a hobo or a nonce.

Or both.

I want one now. My mouth is quite literally watering!

I remember a scotch pie from McGuffs at Carrick Knowe breaking up a budding relationship.

I was kidding on I was a vegetarian to get ladled into a lass at school, and things were going well.

Then she caught me getting wired into a McGuffs mince pie and it was over.

I still can't look tofu in the eye.

;)

MackaysCentreSpot
Bains pies are nice but i always get indigestion after eating them, is this because i eat them too fast or does anyone else suffer this problem?

I also have found this. I think its maybe because they can be quite greasy.

But the indigestion is worth it.

The People's Chimp

Also worth mentioning are:

dunfermline's stephen's steak bridies.

aberdeen's thain's steak, tattie and cheese pies.

pies aint bad. bains pies are righteous.

i like chips and beans with a nice pie, unless i'm on the hoof and am eating it there and then, in which case chips and beans are a bit of an embuggerence.

this_is_my_story
I remember a scotch pie from McGuffs at Carrick Knowe breaking up a budding relationship.

I was kidding on I was a vegetarian to get ladled into a lass at school, and things were going well.

;)

:laugh::laugh: All for a bit of skirt, eh!

Seriously though, I thought those McGuffs pies were honking - a half-decent vet would've had one back on it's feet in no time. I'm liking the chicken & haggis combo though, sounds like a right proper pie. :)

that will be martin mcgills.

they also do the pies like bains

they do a thing called black eyed

jack its slice with black pud running

through it..mmm fekin marvelous

At first glance I thought somebody had a poem about pies. :sad:

jambos are go!

Right on all counts. A mutton pie does not have gravy . Does not mean Bains pies are not wonderful and I can vouch for the one at Juniper Green as well. Makes good Pork Pies too.

;)

Were there lots of Japanese burds growing up in Carrick Knowe in the 80s? :P

I've been trying for, oh a good 30 seconds, to come up with a pun revolving around Jap's eyes and Jap's pies, but I can't think of anything that won't get me suspended. :(

Were there lots of Japanese burds growing up in Carrick Knowe in the 80s?

I'd moved to Broomhall by then.

Much more refined tastes round that way.

;)

pies aint bad. bains pies are righteous.

i like chips and beans with a nice pie, unless i'm on the hoof and am eating it there and then, in which case chips and beans are a bit of an embuggerence.

Quality word in a fine post. :bravo:

FWIW, I like my baked goods cold where possible, a cold pie/sausage roll/bridie is magic.

i thought bains where shut on a monday.

Hands up,how many of you have had the mince from a hot bains pie running down your shirt:eek:

Or am I the only slaister:booze:

thats has happend to me mate, drove to bains to get them especially, they must have been just out the oven so i thought id leave them to cool whilst i drove back up the bypass.

Anyway got stuck in traffic and i couldnt wait on my bains fix any longer sitting on the bypass tucking into this red hot pie and the meat and gravy are spilling out all over the place doon the chin and and all the way down the front of a red tommy hilfiger jacket i had on at the, im huffing and puffing like you do when somethings burning your mouth!!!

eating healthy these days and i dont think i have had a pie for nearly a year and a half now!!

Archived