EEN- Classic Match 1972 v Celtic

willie wallace

willie wallace

The classic match in todays EEN is an end of 1972 season 4-1 thrashing of Celtic at Tynie.The article mentions that the stayaway appeal by the Celtic Supporters Association was a huge success and a crowd of 10000 celebrated the home victory.I am sure i was at the game but can't remember a boycott by the Celtic fans.Any of the older members on here remember what that was all about.

The classic match in todays EEN is an end of 1972 season 4-1 thrashing of Celtic at Tynie.The article mentions that the stayaway appeal by the Celtic Supporters Association was a huge success and a crowd of 10000 celebrated the home victory.I am sure i was at the game but can't remember a boycott by the Celtic fans.Any of the older members on here remember what that was all about.

The Celtic fans boycotted because they were "treated like animals" earlier in the season at a SC 1/4 replay at Tynie, which they won 1-0 with a Lou Macari goal - 40,000 crowd and the usual running battle in the Shed.

So, only 10,000 mostly Hearts fans turned up to see them take a hiding. It should have been 6 or 7-1, and their 1 was a dodgy penalty.

willie wallace
The Celtic fans boycotted because they were "treated like animals" earlier in the season at a SC 1/4 replay at Tynie, which they won 1-0 with a Lou Macari goal - 40,000 crowd and the usual running battle in the Shed.

So, only 10,000 mostly Hearts fans turned up to see them take a hiding. It should have been 6 or 7-1, and their 1 was a dodgy penalty.

Thanks for that mate.Remember that game.I was gutted that night.A bit ironic,Celtic fans complaining about the way they were treated.

I remember both games well. The first was my only 40,000 crowd at Tynecastle. Amazing atmosphere, disappointing match. I was to have a few more such experiences.

I think their main complaint was about the huge number of fans who didn't get in on time, it being an evening kick-off and a rather large crowd, rather than the crowd trouble.

One of the Celtic fans who didn't boycot the second game was my pal who came to the game with me, pre-segregation of course. It was great walking along Dalry Road afterwards when people were asking what the score had been.

I also seem to remember that the Celtic manager did not attend that game either because he was in London as a pundit on an England match (might have been W. Germany).

There were TV cameras there but the game was not shown. It turned out that the cameras had been there to film cameos of the Celtic players for a Cup Final preview the following mid-week. The week after getting thrashed by us, Celtic put 6 past Hibs in the Dixie Deans cup final.

I vaguely remember that if Celtic had beaten us they would have also beaten our 1958 record points tally?

First game v Old Firm I felt safe travelling to and from. As a lad I used to get the train from Linlithgow to Haymarket, the return journey and the wait on platform 4 with (usually) thousands of Huns/Tims was not for the faint hearted. My parents did n't let me go to the cup game due to the likliehood of boxing - I think the game was stopped for a spell when Celtic scored.

To this day for me anyway you can't beat the feeling after the Huns or the Tims have been put to the sword.

Miller Jambo 60
First game v Old Firm I felt safe travelling to and from. As a lad I used to get the train from Linlithgow to Haymarket, the return journey and the wait on platform 4 with (usually) thousands of Huns/Tims was not for the faint hearted. My parents did n't let me go to the cup game due to the likliehood of boxing - I think the game was stopped for a spell when Celtic scored.

To this day for me anyway you can't beat the feeling after the Huns or the Tims have been put to the sword.

Was 12 and my dad put his foot down.:eek:

Never went wish i had

scott herbertson

May be a different game but there was certainly a boycott once when their buses were sited in an open area hear the ground, they had to walk about a mile, and the buses were attacked.

As someone who has sat for an hour on a bus getting atacked outside parkhead can't say I am full of sympathy...

I'm pretty sure this boycot was about the poor way Hearts coped with such a big crowd. Certainly, for the 1-0 game, I got in about 20 minutes after kick-off, and there were still many behind me. What I remember most was how orderly the queue was (and not segregated) at the Wheatfield entrance. It went the whole way back to the footpath, if you know where I mean, then it just doubled-back on itself, without any stewarding or police presence. No hassle at all, just a very long wait.

The crowd at the Gorgie Road end was swaying about like the Kop, a bit scary but it made you feel like you were at a proper football match.

Pity about the result.

That must have been the all ticket 43,000 cup tie

Feck knows how we ever got a record 56,000 in Tynie cos even at that it was like celebrating new years day in a phone box :eek:

I can remember struggling to get my arms away from my sides that night there was such a crush !

Celtic had already won the league by the time they came too Tynie on league business so one has to take that into account :sad:

Was 12 and my dad put his foot down.:eek:

Never went wish i had

I was the same. Used to go to the games with my mates, but when it came to Celtic / Rangers my old man wouldn't let me go. "you can't go, there will be no boys gate" was his usual excuse, but I'm sure it was really because of all the s cum from glasgow that were there.

BTW - can anyone confirm that? did Hearts actually do away with the boys / OAPs prices at the wheatfeild entrance for O/F games back then????

Thig Ar Latha

I was at both these matches. As I remember the Celtic Fans were complaining that their buses had been moved to the Slaughter Market (the announcement of which sparked off big trouble and stopped the game for at least five minutes) I think the main gripe that led to the boycott was the busses being moved so far from the Stadium and the traffic congestion for the Jungles going home after.

My first win over the tims. 7 year old, and centre stand seat. Perfect.4.1. Never seen us hit 4 against them since. :mad:

7 years old ? ? ...Try 17 ya chancer . . .:rolleyes:

I remember the game well. We got a fifth near the end too but it was disallowed. Does anyone remember Alistair Dewar on Sportscene who used to do the reports on Hearts/Hibs games. He was a bit of a misery and no matter how well either Edinburgh team played he always said it was a dire game but he was raving about how great this game was. He obviously loved seeing Celtic get a doing.

I too was at both games. The best bit about the 4-1 game was that we didn't get pushed out of our usual place in the shed opposite the half way line. I can remember singing in their fans faces from our normal position with a 2-yard gap between us and them enforced by the police.

Oh happy days.

I was the same. Used to go to the games with my mates, but when it came to Celtic / Rangers my old man wouldn't let me go. "you can't go, there will be no boys gate" was his usual excuse, but I'm sure it was really because of all the s cum from glasgow that were there.

BTW - can anyone confirm that? did Hearts actually do away with the boys / OAPs prices at the wheatfeild entrance for O/F games back then????

There's no Santa either.

Archived