Work Permits

Rawrrrrrrr

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7745009.stm

Interesting article

Since the criteria are the same for both scotland and england its interesting comments.

Either Celtic are admitting there is impropierty in the WP process, or that there chasing a player who isnt good enough for EPL relegation material.

Wonder which one it is :rolleyes:

I read that this morning. The agent pretty much saying it's easy to a work permit in Scotland (well the Old Squirm).

I read that this morning. The agent pretty much saying it's easy to a work permit in Scotland (well the Old Squirm).

OF got WPs for Mizuno and the American lad who have barley played...I thought WPs for extraneous circumstances were only if the player could bring something special to the SPL? OF have the SFA and SPL round thier little fingers

Thig Ar Latha

May be a fairer way to do it would be to allocate each Club a set number of work permits (eg 2 per Club) and let the Clubs choose what ever player they want, but they can't go over the quota. They don't have to use it, but can't exceed it either.

May be a fairer way to do it would be to allocate each Club a set number of work permits (eg 2 per Club) and let the Clubs choose what ever player they want, but they can't go over the quota. They don't have to use it, but can't exceed it either.

The work permit regs are set in place by the UK government.

What the agent is basically saying is that the SFA are easier to con at an appeal.

I refuse to believe a player who isnt good enough to bring something to West Brom is good enough to bring something for Celtic so in essence he shouldnt get a permit at all

The agent knows the score.

Rangers or Celtic = guaranteed Work Permit.

Its a shame we have a spineless media

A proper journalist would have pushed him on it and come up with a brillant exclusive/scandal about work permit fraud.:rolleyes:

The Old Tolbooth
The agent knows the score.

Rangers or Celtic = guaranteed Work Permit.

Exactly!

We get turned down for a permit to sign Gogua where it was deemed that he wouldn't improve the Scottish game, he then goes on to be voted the best young international talent in the Russian league.

Celtic get Du Wei :eek:

Exactly!

We get turned down for a permit to sign Gogua where it was deemed that he wouldn't improve the Scottish game, he then goes on to be voted the best young international talent in the Russian league.

Celtic get Du Wei :eek:

Were is Gogua these days?

As for Du Wei, It doesnt state what they bring has to be in footballing terms as far as I remember .

I.e celtic could argue, aye du wei is pish but he will bring us 2 mil a year in commercial opportunities.

The Old Tolbooth

As for Du Wei, It doesnt state what they bring has to be in footballing terms as far as I remember .

I.e celtic could argue, aye du wei is pish but he will bring us 2 mil a year in commercial opportunities.

I'm sure he went to Saturn in Russia if my memory serves me correctly.

As for not adding quality to the league, I was listening to a BBC radio effort where Murdo McLeod was explaining the process, and he clearly stated that the panel would have to be agreed that then player would add more quality to the Scottish game, although it translated across to me as "when it suits" to be honest, but he definitely stated the above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartak_Nalchik

No. 7 in the squad list. Russian Premier League. Disappointment with him was that he sounded like the perfect style for the SPL...Could of course be distinctly average...

I'm sure he went to Saturn in Russia if my memory serves me correctly.

As for not adding quality to the league, I was listening to a BBC radio effort where Murdo McLeod was explaining the process, and he clearly stated that the panel would have to be agreed that then player would add more quality to the Scottish game, although it translated across to me as "when it suits" to be honest, but he definitely stated the above.

But what I am pointing out is whilst Du Wei himself was pish there could be argument that the massive sums celtic earn in cash for just having a chinese player added to the quality of the scottish game.

I am a bit split on it, for example if hearts could go out and sign a crap chinese/korean player, get a work permit using this argument and bring in money which enabled us to buy better players etc I would be happy.

However as its celtic and rangers who always benefit im not.

Re Gogua, he isnt terrible and yes if he was an OF signing no doubt get a permit but if its a completely independent decision I do think maybe we overhyped him a bit and the decision he wouldnt increase the quality that much was maybe just. Especially when you think players like Eggert, Bruno and Ruben dont need permits.

Surely it would be easier to argue that a player would improve the standard of the SPL than the Premiership though?

It's the subjective nature thats the problem. What is the basis for "improving the standard". If Gogua had signed he would surely have been better than at least half the other players in the SPL - having seen him against Scotland he looked pretty tidy. Then Mizuno and Du Wei get signed and can't muster 5 appearances between them but are still granted work permits. If it wasn't so subjective they wouldn't get away with this nonsense but the wording makes it hard to call them out on.

Surely it would be easier to argue that a player would improve the standard of the SPL than the Premiership though?

It's the subjective nature thats the problem. What is the basis for "improving the standard". If Gogua had signed he would surely have been better than at least half the other players in the SPL - having seen him against Scotland he looked pretty tidy. Then Mizuno and Du Wei get signed and can't muster 5 appearances between them but are still granted work permits. If it wasn't so subjective they wouldn't get away with this nonsense but the wording makes it hard to call them out on.

The argument back would be though is Gogua any better or offers anything different from the thousands of other players available with EU citizenship?

Its a lot harder to argue that signing someone with EU citizenship would bring the same commercial opportunities these two did however.

Whilst I have no doubt this latest guy should get a permit, I do think you could make non footballing arguments to justify the asian signings and as far as I am aware a work permit appeal doesnt need to be limited to footballing reasons.

Archived