Webster,Ritchie and Johnston,talent wasted by ibrox dream

freddiemac

Now that Webster looks as if he has disappeared out of the picture at Bristol City (1 start to equal his 1 start for the Huns) do you think these 3 ex-hearts players will regret making their "dream move" to ibrox.

Webster with 22 Scotland caps at a young age has now made more court appearances than 1st team appearances in the last 3 years.(5 starts)

Webbie at least started 1 more game for the huns than the hapless Paul Ritchie embarassingly dumped by Advocaat withing kicking a ball for the 1st team. Allan Johnston had two great seasons with Sunderland helping them to the Premiership, sadly Allan gave up the chance to play against Man U,Liverpool,Chelsea and the rest to fulfil his dream move to ibrox playing 15 games before being shown the exit door ,all these 3 players signed for rangers in dubious surroundings and all 3 were dropped by their clubs

Peter Reid the Sunderland manager even had the 1st team photo re-taken without Johnston.

Guest JamboRobbo

I doubt they'll regret taking their chance when it came.

Yes, maybe it didn't work out the best for them, but if you don't try, you'll never know whether you can make it at that level.

Also, financially, those players are made for life when they sign that first 3 year deal on 10k a week. So, worst case scenario, they don't make the breakthrough at that level, but are still made for life financially.

You can argue whether players were ever good enough to play at a higher level etc, but I doubt many players regret giving it a go, even if it doesn't work out in the end.

Malcolm Tucker

For a lad of Webby's talent, 10 apps altogether since leaving Hearts really is quite a sad case. He has so much ability, but in the end did the totally wrong thing.

Very sad case, but what a ****ing idiot he is.

Charlie-Brown

Those who went to Celtic later in their careers, McKinlay, Galloway, Hartley, Pressley all seem to have done much better than those who jumped into a 'bench-warmer' move to Hunbrox much earlier in their careers.

Yes, maybe it didn't work out the best for them, but if you don't try, you'll never know whether you can make it at that level.

Also, financially, those players are made for life when they sign that first 3 year deal on 10k a week. So, worst case scenario, they don't make the breakthrough at that level, but are still made for life financially.

You can argue whether players were ever good enough to play at a higher level etc, but I doubt many players regret giving it a go, even if it doesn't work out in the end.

Having read the book The Advocaat Years, Ritchie certainly doesn't regret it - and has been quite sensible and phlegmatic in interviews about what happened to his career after leaving us. Thing is though JR: there's seeing the pound signs flashing, then there's moving at the right time with the conviction you'll be picked very often at your new club. At a higher level, and so unlike most other ambitious young managers, Martin O'Neill turned down Forest when at Wycombe, Leeds when at Leicester, and Newcastle when a free agent: that he always weighs his options up thoroughly has been key to his continued success.

neverlikedElvis

webster must. his career has nosedived. the other two gave it a bash and were'nt good enough.

never understood the grief magic got for it tbh. he was a decent player for us and moved on.

ritchie was a co ck who would have been found out at hearts once weir moved on.

http://www.heartofmidlothian-mad.co.uk/

Guest Fabuloso
Now that Webster looks as if he has disappeared out of the picture at Bristol City (1 start to equal his 1 start for the Huns) do you think these 3 ex-hearts players will regret making their "dream move" to ibrox.

Webster with 22 Scotland caps at a young age has now made more court appearances than 1st team appearances in the last 3 years.(5 starts)

Webbie at least started 1 more game for the huns than the hapless Paul Ritchie embarassingly dumped by Advocaat withing kicking a ball for the 1st team. Allan Johnston had two great seasons with Sunderland helping them to the Premiership, sadly Allan gave up the chance to play against Man U,Liverpool,Chelsea and the rest to fulfil his dream move to ibrox playing 15 games before being shown the exit door ,all these 3 players signed for rangers in dubious surroundings and all 3 were dropped by their clubs

Peter Reid the Sunderland manager even had the 1st team photo re-taken without Johnston.

Hearts aren't the only ones either. Hibs have had it tight off the OF of recent years too. I can think of a few who have made it but most don't. Money talks unfortunately.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
For a lad of Webby's talent, 10 apps altogether since leaving Hearts really is quite a sad case. He has so much ability, but in the end did the totally wrong thing.

Very sad case, but what a ****ing idiot he is.

Not just him but his agent Wille McKay. Total tube.

Even our own John Roberston said he'd "jump at the chance" to move to the Old Firm.

It's just the way it is for these guys.

Source: 1994 newspaper interview in the aftermath of the Alan McLaren sale.

Buffalo Bill

Guest Fabuloso

Too true Partridge. Suffice to say Willie McKay won't be overly concerned with the credit crunch.

Guest Fabuloso
Even our own John Roberston said he'd "jump at the chance" to move to the Old Firm.

It's just the way it is for these guys.

Source: 1994 newspaper interview in the aftermath of the Alan McLaren sale.

Buffalo Bill

Surely that was when he was managing Livingston!

Malcolm Tucker

A bigger money-grabbing ^^^^ I never have seen.

Was he not Thomson and Brown's agent as well I seem to recall?

Can you substantiate this or are you talking sh*te as usual?

Guest JamboRobbo
Can you substantiate this or are you talking sh*te as usual?
3 Year deal, 10k a week, gives you 1.5M, which by most peoples standards means they are made for life.

I'm not talking about a specific player, just in general, thats the ballpark sort of figure we're talking when these players take their move to the big clubs. MY point is, when players make these moves, we're talking about the difference between earning very good money, or making the move and getting a contract which means you are made financially for life. For most people, if a chance like that comes, they take it, because you never know if it'll come again if you don't.

Velicka will be the same. Might not play as much. Might be bad for his football career. But his bank balance will be fine. And they are professional footballers after all, it's their job as well as a sport they enjoy.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Thought his agent was Duddy? (sounds about right)

Sorry, it was Charlie Diddy.

They are both total knob jockeys.

Exactly. Bees attracted by the honeypot. How many guys are in it for the football these days, how many for the money?

jamboinheaven
There will be many more SPL players who follow the route thinking they will make it but may find themselves bench fodder.

naismith

There will be many more SPL players who follow the route thinking they will make it but may find themselves bench fodder.

Sadly this is most definitely true.

Hearts 2 or 3 years ago were in a position to offer players increased wages compared to the average SPL player however we find with times now that knowone outside the OF is in a position to offer players more than say 4-5k per week as a general rule.

The OF can offer over and above that meaning right now its more likley than ever before that we will see talented young players from SPL teams heading to the OF.

Archived