John Lennon v. Galileo Galilei

Ulysses

heartgarfunkel

If they were allowed to slug it out on the basis of optical utilities, one would assume Galileo would emerge victorious on the basis of his telescopes. However, let's not forget Lennon's purchase of a good pair of binoculars at Lizar's in Shandwick Place. Both could grow a good beard, so Lennon wins on the musical genius, capacity for drugs, and money earned categories.

ToadKiller Dog

Does Galileo not have a history of beating up pop stars ?

did freddie mercury not scream "Galileo galileo galileo figaro let me go "?

Lennon was a bit harder than Mercury to be fair .

Apparently the Vatican has taken it upon itself to forgive John Lennon for a bit of an insult he delivered back in 1966.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7744282.stm

So that's posthumous pardons for both Lennon and Galileo, then. :eek:

Which one would win a scrap? No weapons allowed, mind. :biggrin:

I don't know if it's just me but I don't see why it is the Vatican doing the forgiving. It should be Jesus if anyone, no? Perhaps it's one of the first things he'll do at the Second Coming. Anyway, Pope John Paul II officially conceded that the earth was not stationary in 1992. I think that Galileo, who would have been spinning in his grave (like the earth does, duh) for almost 300 years up until that point, must still now be so full of righteous "I told you so, you ****ers!!!" attitude that his pumped-up mood would result in him flooring Lennon with a single punch.

I don't know if it's just me but I don't see why it is the Vatican doing the forgiving. It should be Jesus if anyone, no?

For political and diplomatic reasons, he may have decided to delegate the task. ;)

For political and diplomatic reasons, he may have decided to delegate the task. ;)

So you have to be officially forgiven by the vatican if they ever criticise you? :eek:

Johanes de Silentio

Since both Lennon and Galileo dared to speak the truth, which organised religions fear more than anything, it's a no-score draw - and love all the way!

A rare moment of clear-sightedness from the Vatican.

Hooray!

Archived