For all the non attending fans/foreign supporters?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

when Hearts play, whats your routine.

I've made a conscious decision not to go since the Hibs away game (well will be picking and choosing my games from now, still have a ST though).

I cannot listen to Hearts on the radio, it just kills me not being there. I cannot watch the live scores coming through, as it seems every time I watch it, the opposition score (turned it off when Falkirk scored today, and we won).

So how on earth do you's get through the day when the mighty Hearts are playing.

In my 30 odd years of supporting Hearts, have never had this predicament, so any help welcome.

I can safely predict my next 2 games. I will be up in Aberdeen on 27th Dec for the away game against the sheep, then the next derby at Tynie. Help needed for the others though.

I expect this thread to get overtaken by the 'Real Fans' however the one's who support from home, whether it be abroad or home would be greatly appreciated, as hated the last few mins today logging on here and seeing us winning 2-1 and following a thread about it on here.

So basically, rules out radio, kb or HW. :)

Would never, for ANY reason, miss a game at Tynie.

Emjoy your radio.

Be a real & proper fan like me!

;)

It's great these days.

chester copperpot
Would never, for ANY reason, miss a game at Tynie.

Emjoy your radio.

Be a real & proper fan like me!

;)

It's great these days.

Was hoping for post 5 or 6 till I encountered a smart arse. :P

I've made a conscious decision not to go since the Hibs away game (well will be picking and choosing my games from now, still have a ST though).

I cannot listen to Hearts on the radio, it just kills me not being there. I cannot watch the live scores coming through, as it seems every time I watch it, the opposition score (turned it off when Falkirk scored today, and we won).

So how on earth do you's get through the day when the mighty Hearts are playing.

In my 30 odd years of supporting Hearts, have never had this predicament, so any help welcome.

I can safely predict my next 2 games. I will be up in Aberdeen on 27th Dec for the away game against the sheep, then the next derby at Tynie. Help needed for the others though.

I expect this thread to get overtaken by the 'Real Fans' however the one's who support from home, whether it be abroad or home would be greatly appreciated, as hated the last few mins today logging on here and seeing us winning 2-1 and following a thread about it on here.

listen mate i know where u are coming from, but just go to the game, takes out all other alternatives:rolleyes:

The Real Maroonblood

You should ask NBerwickJTs because he is the best Hearts supporter ever.

:)

Was hoping for post 5 or 6 till I encountered a smart arse. :P

go swimming with your boy - i have done it for the last three weeks and we won

chester copperpot

I end up getting harpooned by the local sushi chef?

Seriously though, attend my wee lads games in the mornings, am lost without the Hearts games, dont think I could do that.

I try to listen to every match on HW although I seem to have had trouble connecting in the last two weeks (had to listen tp the Beeb today). I've not joined in the match thread on here quite as much as usual this season as my 5 year old daughter keeps getting in the bloody way. A combination of her driving me mad and us going behind in a couple of games made me give up earlier in the season. Please forgive me for my lack of loyalty to the cause.

Unfortuanetly I'm away next week which will mean trying to keep up to date on my blackberry. Not quite the same.

I bought a season ticket whilst working in Norway but have now ended up working in Cardiff so its been a total waste of dough! Now I check KB for the teams beforehand and then listen to the radio if im in the house.

It is pesh tho! Hate listening to games but what can you do eh? Would rather that than miss out altogether. My next game will be the Hibs on 3rd Jan.

Have a day out and walk for miles - beach - forest - country etc no radio!

Radio 2 on the way home then ceefax to your Hearts delight!!!!!!!

scott herbertson

I can't listen to the games

I watch the live text on BBC, refreshing it when I feel brave enough and then reading the match thread on kickback when we are drawing or winning or score

If we are one goal up or level I pace around the room for the last five minutes and then click the BBC videprinter repeatedly

Funnily enough I don't get nervous much if I get up to a match, which I last managed for aberdeen at home

Know what you mean as I can't afford away games and hate not being there. Would never miss a home game as somehow being there emphasises the euphoria of a win and more of an understanding when we don't.

apart from Inverness away have been hearts deprived for nearly 2 months due to surgery but should be back this week or next hopefully .

one word of warning though for the married guys and believe me i know of where i speak, if you break your routine and stop going she who must be obeyed finds other things to do and before you know it you have not been to tynie for a year

Gav Aitchison
I can't listen to the games

I watch the live text on BBC, refreshing it when I feel brave enough and then reading the match thread on kickback when we are drawing or winning or score

If we are one goal up or level I pace around the room for the last five minutes and then click the BBC videprinter repeatedly

Funnily enough I don't get nervous much if I get up to a match, which I last managed for aberdeen at home

Same here. Listening to a game online or radio is a nightmare for me. I'd rather rely on the KB match thread or BBC text, and can always doss about online at the same time too. Ideally though, I always prefer to get to the pub for the final scores coming in.

You have been swimming the CC's son the last 3 weeks?

Gary is that you?

If I'm not at the game I'm working.

Meaning I'm working in a daze, looking for any kind of excuse to go into the kitchen where the chefs will have the football on the radio and enquire about the scores. At half 4, whatever other ****e (usually rugby) will finish and the BBC vidiprinter will come up. At this point I ignore all collegues and customers and stay glued to that screen until 10 to 5.

In Ibiza I just watched Jeff and co in the Highlander pub.

If I'm not at the game I'm working.

Meaning I'm working in a daze, looking for any kind of excuse to go into the kitchen where the chefs will have the football on the radio and enquire about the scores. At half 4, whatever other ****e (usually rugby) will finish and the BBC vidiprinter will come up. At this point I ignore all collegues and customers and stay glued to that screen until 10 to 5.

In Ibiza I just watched Jeff and co in the Highlander pub.

on my forced sabbatical i have not formed a routine sometimes i listen to H/W sometimes radio Scotland sometimes i have just checked the score after the game .

must admit it is just not the same not being there cant wait to get back in the saddle

portobellojambo1
I will be up in Aberdeen on 27th Dec for the away game against the sheep,

Are you driving up or coming up on the bus ?

My Saturday starts as every other day at 0530am when I get up. I watch the World and Local news broadcasts. At 0600am the coffee is brewed and its over to the PC. Read the local paper, then on to JKB. Read the wisdom printed there and at 0645 turn on HW. While listening to the game I follow it on JKB, and visit other forums. Particularly like to visit Hibs.net if their score comes through and they are losing, or if and when Hearts score before them. The head bashing on the wall smilies are worth the trip.

Half time second cup of coffee poured, read the official game posts then listen to the rest of the game. At finish of the game usually around 0845am, start my regular day routine.

I see myself as loyal a Hearts fan as anyone. But I have to admit to a lapse of game attendance in the early sixties. New house, two new kids, and a return to the mediocrity of Hearts that was normal I must say diminished my interest for a while. I was not protesting or making a point, I had just had a temporary change of circumstance that at the time football dropped in the list of priorities. I did go through a long period of Hearts starvation in the early years here, this was somewhat relieved by my Father air mailing the Sunday papers which I got about the Thursday after the game.

I guess the moral of the story is if you are a real Hearts fan, they can take the man out of Tynecastle but wherever or whatever you are they will never take Tynecastle out of the man.

Start perking up the coffee at 7.30am, Fiona already thinks I'm a radge (she's also from Edinburgh and pretend's she's a Hobo just to annoy me), kids also think I'm stupid with my funny accent - honestly, I think we would ALL be better if I just started on the beer immediately on waking.

Of course, that is a fervent prayer - HW commentary from a Hearts point of view is better than nothing - FACT!:)

My Saturday starts as every other day at 0530am when I get up. I watch the World and Local news broadcasts. At 0600am the coffee is brewed and its over to the PC. Read the local paper, then on to JKB. Read the wisdom printed there and at 0645 turn on HW. While listening to the game I follow it on JKB, and visit other forums. Particularly like to visit Hibs.net if their score comes through and they are losing, or if and when Hearts score before them. The head bashing on the wall smilies are worth the trip.

Half time second cup of coffee poured, read the official game posts then listen to the rest of the game. At finish of the game usually around 0845am, start my regular day routine.

I see myself as loyal a Hearts fan as anyone. But I have to admit to a lapse of game attendance in the early sixties. New house, two new kids, and a return to the mediocrity of Hearts that was normal I must say diminished my interest for a while. I was not protesting or making a point, I had just had a temporary change of circumstance that at the time football dropped in the list of priorities. I did go through a long period of Hearts starvation in the early years here, this was somewhat relieved by my Father air mailing the Sunday papers which I got about the Thursday after the game.

I guess the moral of the story is if you are a real Hearts fan, they can take the man out of Tynecastle but wherever or whatever you are they will never take Tynecastle out of the man.

Sure beats walking in the woods!!!!!

When you live a good distance away, like in San Francisco - then a lot of effort goes into scavenging what you can from the various sources of viewing and listening, a la Bob Sharp. Sometimes when it doesn't work out and you only catch up after the result (like this Saturday) then it gives you a magic feel knowing another three points are in the bag.

I remember the early 60's onset of mediocrity after seven trophies which built up expectations of that being normal. My old man was "finished with the mugs" umpteen times. Then I would catch him sneaking in when the gates opened 20 minutes from the end. He had the advantage of living 100 yards away, so it was easy to stay in touch. In fact you could just hang around Gorgie, do the shopping, go to the Bendex, that sort of stuff and follow the match from crowd roars and rumours that swept along the streets. Everyone on Gorgie Road would know what the score was during the game.

That might be a good idea - if you don't want to go and don't want to follow the game by commentary, just hang around Gorgie Road during the match and soak up the information flowing out of Tynecastle. Of course in the 60s there were enough decent shops in Gorgie Road that made it easy to spend a couple of hours on the street while the game was going on.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Only live in Hereford so do get to go to a few games(5 to 8 a year)

but if I can't...

Have Setanta if not on TV got about 1in3 chance its on the radio

but I hate listening to games on radio as its a terrible media for football.

Most common is a ceefax check every 2 minutes...

only switch to 971(bbc1 scotland)if we win no point listening to their crap if we lose.

Then on sunday watch setanta for the goals in the pre-game build-up.

Have been away from Edina for 12 yrs now.

In London in 96-97 I used to drive up the nearest hill so I could get a little bit of Radio Scotland coverage. Sometimes there was none, so I'd resort to 5-Live and the text commentary on Kickback. Hibs.net commentary on in another window just for laffs.

In Aus, it's been a combo of HW, the official match thread and Setanta or dodgy live feeds when available (against the Old Squirm usually).

12 yrs away and still a desperate. :rolleyes:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Since January I've found myself squeezing in a couple of hours kip to rise in the early hours of Sunday morning to tune in to Hearts World. Madness but I can't help myself. I have to find out how we're doing.

You should ask NBerwickJTs because he is the best Hearts supporter ever.

:)

THANKS!!!!!

Is there a prize?

Is there an award ceremony?

Are you making a speech?

By the way I cannot accept the award as I am far from being the 'best Hearts supporter ever'! I do consider myself loyal and have been for many, many years. I will do what I can to support the team and do not criticise others for not going, as that is their choice.

However, I do criticise the fans who jumped on the bandwagon a few years ago and then jumped off, just as quickly , blaming VR for everything!!! They now spend their time as 'doom merchants' instead of supporting the team! I dare say they will be back when we reach the next semi final/play in Europe.

If I miss a game it is normally because of work and in that case I have to rely on someone at the game texting me goals and yes thats horrible, but sometimes just has to be done.

Worst time I remember being at some conference and about 4pm we were split into workshops, I had to go to some weird meditation thing so I put my phone on silent I was only thinking about what was happening at the game and desperate to see the final score and once everyone was 'in the zone' with their eyes shut and the guy doing the workshop talking about emptying our heads and thinking of nice places etc so quick open of the eye to check they all had eyes shut then out with phone and nearly let out the biggest YES as we had beaten Rangers, had to close my eyes and think of that happy place Tynecastle for next 10 mins in peace then. When everyone was all nice and relaxed I was grinning like mad and a bit hyper and the guy thought it was something he had done in his workshop :P.

As for any other I game I miss (only if its an away game and I am skint) then HW for me.

Good post Bob. However, you need to have a word with yourself re getting up at 05:30 every day. :eek:

Must have been quite expensive for your dad to airmail the stuff back then.

Miller Jambo 60

Andy you are not alone , i find it easier to be at the game rather than in the house.

TBH the radio is a killer for me everytime i tune in to a game its a sure bet the opposition will score strange but true.

At the game at least i can vent my feelings and i certainly did yesterday.

My advice mate get yourself back and make your self heard in the stand.

plus i was in westies yesterday where i would have bought you a pint.:)

Dougie.

liescores.com on Blackberry. It is instantly quick. I have convinced myself that Hearts score when I select "close" and then go in again. Worked yesterday! (I am in Dubai):107years:

if the games on setanta head to the pub an hour before kick off, depending on the time difference K.O here is any time between 9pm and 6.45 am(god i hate those ones) all need the following day to be taking off work.

If the games not on live its mix between t'internet on the pc and the mobile depening on how ealry i have to get up the next day.

been here over 2 years now and i miss it more and more with every game.....(yes even the pish weve been playing lately)

when i was still back home and for whatever reason couldnt go to the game i could never listen to the radio it was a killer, my heart always stopped with a mixture of elation and dread and the words..'now over to tynecastle wheres theres been a goal......."

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

No offence Andy but you have picked an odd time to stop going if you ask me.

There are no clear signs of any dodgy stuff going on with fax machines or that so why choose to stop going now considering you went when things were REALLY bad?

Game starts at either 5 or 6 p.m. depending on whether it's GMT or BST. My Saturday is your Sunday (i.e. I work Sun to Thurs) so we try and get the kids to bed early and listen outside with a few scoops if it's not too cold, or occasionally in bed if it's been a heavy week-end. After 15 years away I've got used to listening to the radio, it's better than when I lived in Durham and had to watch on teletext pre-internet days! Radio is definitely more nerve-racking than being at the game, although I do love how the crowd noise often beats the commentator by about half a second so that you know when we're about to shoot.

The last game I missed was the first Inverness game last season so I stuck with Gillette Soccer and Brewster scored a last minute winner. Sickening seeing it coming through.

A couple of seasons ago when I missed the game I would listen to the first 5 minutes on HW then turn it off. It is impossible to listen to a Hearts game. Would much rather make myslef scarce until 5 and then take the score in a oner.

J.T.F.Robertson
Good post Bob. However, you need to have a word with yourself re getting up at 05:30 every day. :eek:

Must have been quite expensive for your dad to airmail the stuff back then.

It was a good one.

Like Bob, although I'm an hour "closer to home" than him, I'm usually up anytime between 5 and 6. I've always been like that .... wake up ..... get up.

I only recently got the laptop here at hame. Before that, I'd wait for a mate or my auld man to phone with the score around 10:00 am, every Saturday. Now, I log on here and check, with great trepidation, I may add, the game thread, or the Sporting Life text updates. I've actually seen me only doing so, at half time and full time, I just find it a bit too stressful. :o

It's a helluva lot easier when I'm home and actually at the games. Maybe it's because then, you somehow feel you have a "say" in the outcome, whereas there's a feeling of impotence being so far away. Also, back home, you can retire to the pub after the game and dissect the good or the bad in it. Here, I tend to stew over the losses. (I "stew" a fair bit) :rolleyes:

I want to be going to the hearts games regularly like the good old days but im not willing to while mad vlad is the owner. I just don't know what is going on at hearts these days. It doesn't even feel like Heart of midlothian football club to me anymore. More like Heart of Lithuania or something. It just feels dirty while vlad is in control.

I still listen to the games on the radio, normally while playing fifa on mute.

no 'real fan' or 'better fan than you' claims here....

just a thought....

get over yourself and get your carcass along to tynecastle FFS.

At least the internet makes it so much easier for fans based abroad to follow the club. It must've been tough (though also kinda cool) back in the day when UK newspapers arrived days after they'd been printed and the World Service shortwave frequency was in and out. Merely on holiday, searching for a paper used to drive me nuts; though spending Saturday afternoons with my wireless was always quite fun.

Nowadays, given I only get to a handful of games a season, I just log on here and tune into Radio Scotland. In the past though, when I wasn't online, it was a lot trickier: the Radio Scotland AM reception in Oxford is non-existent, and in Norwich and Pinner, very hazy. In the latter two, I'd spend an age twiddling the dial for the exact point where I could pick something up, then have to keep adjusting as the reception (always interfered with by another broadcast) faded again. I just about managed to listen to both Stuttgart games and the Rangers Cup defeat the previous season by doing this, but it was quite a challenge!

Lombardia Jambo

I listen to the Hearts World radio through internet every match. Usually, on saturday aftie, I am working at my shop and sometimes I miss a part of the comment though ! Tynecastle is too far away........

boabyarsebiscuit

Due to work I miss most midweek games. I get updates by phone from the game.

On Saturday we were at Chelsea - Newcastle. The mobile signal was bad, so we had to stand and watch the final scores come in on Sky Soccer Saturday on the concourse as we exited the ground.

I want to be going to the hearts games regularly like the good old days but im not willing to while mad vlad is the owner. I just don't know what is going on at hearts these days. It doesn't even feel like Heart of midlothian football club to me anymore. More like Heart of Lithuania or something. It just feels dirty while vlad is in control.

I still listen to the games on the radio, normally while playing fifa on mute.

Just out of interest Stef, but would you go if Hearts were a much better team(say, we were Champions), even if "mad vlad" was still the owner?

Buffalo Bill

I love this "get over yourself and get along to Tynie" rubbish. Because of course, we all work 9 to 5, and live within three miles of Tynecastle don't we?!

Not me, I can only get to four or five games a season and the predicament you find yourself in is exactly where I am. I don't work on a Sat afternoon, but finish work in Newcastle too late on a saturday to get up to the game so I know where you are coming from.

I try to mix up what I do on a Saturday as I'd go mad listening to the commentary. If I can't find a stream on line I generally flick between whatever rubbish I can find on the tv and Sky Spts News, or I keep myself busy by going out and not looking until the final score! Sad existance but true and the only real option!

In saying that, I do need a fix every now and then and annual leave gets used to "get my backside to Tynie!"

Guest S.U.S.S.

Your not a REAL fan! :)

Archived