Robbie = Delap? Can it work?

jambo191

Any chance we can really make this work?

With him regualry getting back in the team, with careful studying of stoke is there any chance shabba can turn this into a real threat?

I mean sure we have always seen his long throws, but how many times have they worked?

Mabye neilson needs to work on accuracy?

I think we need to practise this in training.

Thoughts?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

He can throw it far but he can't get the pace and distance that Delap can.

We could work on other moves like players actually making runs to recieve the ball from a throw!

Charlie-Brown

Delap was a javelin thrower as a youth and he is able to get much greater pace and sharper trajectory on his long throws than I've seen Robbie get who's throws are impressive but generally more floated in and easier to defend.

With him regualry getting back in the team, with careful studying of stoke is there any chance shabba can turn this into a real threat?

I mean sure we have always seen his long throws, but how many times have they worked?

Thoughts?

A fundemental flaw with Robbie's version is he just simply launches it -he doesn't try to find a player. Our shout every week is "here's Robbie chucking it to their centre - half!"

It can be a very useful part of any team's armoury but it's about finding your own player not just getting it as far as possible!

I can't believe this problem hasn't been noticed by our coaching staff, as far back as Naysmith, then Maybury,then Goncalves and now (still) Robbie we continually give the ball away (or back) to the opposition. Mahe and Tak couldn't throw it far but at least we retained possession and kept pressure on the opposition defence!

Rant Over!

Good points boys.

10 mins of long throw practise during training surely cant do us any harm, mon shabba get it done!

loveofthegame

As has already been pointed out, theres a massive difference between Delap and RN's long throws.

RN can throw it far but its a looping ball that has no pace by the time it reaches its final destination, and he can't throw it as far as Delap to get it right into the middle.

Delap gets more pace, distance and it doesn't loop- its fires in like a well hit free kick, its almost undefendable. You see how hard it is to defend a whipped in free kick- well everyone of Delaps throw ins is like that!

Robbie just throws it really high and hopes for the best. It's never worked, and never will.

Still, it's more accurate than his passing.

Seymour M Hersh

Thoughts?

It very rarely has worked or even caused problems for opposing defenders. Robbie gets too much loft on the throws. Anytime I've noticed it causing problems for defenders it's been a much flatter trajectory. So I guess that's where he should be working on it. Not even sure he practices the throw at training tbh.

Robbie's throws are too floated and easy to defend

Jose's throws were much more powerful, and flatter, but he was very inaccurate at times

Part of the benefits of Delap is at the moment the defenders can't cope, in time they will adapt to them and they will no longer be effective.

SPL teams have had 5 years to adapt to robbie now thus there pointless.

Tbh other than Bruno we dont have anyone who can consistently deliver good set pieces, especially corners and it is an area we need to look at as good set pieces can be 5-10 goals a season easily

As said, Robbie normally floats his throws in so definitely not as effective as Delap.

That being said though, Robbie normally throws really fast when he throws it up the line. This has been much more effective that throws into the box.

Archived