Willie Johnston wanted to buy Hearts ...

jambovambo

... quite a wistful piece about Willie Johnston in the Scotsman today ... he wants the SFA to lift his life-time ban from the national team - at 61.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Saturday-profile-Johnston-on-a.4721283.jp

Interesting that he and 4 other RFC players (Sandy J and Doddie included) talked about buying out and owning Hearts ...

Hah - that would have been something.

TH1_2111200822Willie-Johnston-1.jpg

Christ, and people (correctly) think that Vlad's a ****** owner. Can you imagine what it would have been like with Bud at the helm ?

Never a dull moment that's for sure.

Christ, and people (correctly) think that Vlad's a ****** owner. Can you imagine what it would have been like with Bud at the helm ?

Never a dull moment that's for sure.

Bud is a fantastic host in his bar and was a great player. Harshly treated by the **** of the sfa.

Bud is a fantastic host in his bar and was a great player. Harshly treated by the **** of the sfa.

I loved him when he played for us.

He was well past his best by that time but he was a real personality.

"Willie, Willie show us your arse" :D

Miller Jambo 60

Had a pint with willie in the maybury years ago.

Down to earth guy and a lover of footie.

Charlie-Brown

Willie Johnston as a bit of an animal/dirty b'stard as a player though before he played for us - he got a long ban for running over John McMaster's throat in an ill-tempered Huns v Dons game then later that season in a game at Tynie deliberately ran over the stomach of our young full-back Stevie Hamilton who had to be stretchered off, certainly he was a good player but he had a very colourful career to say the least.

Character and a half, never a dull moment when youre in his company.

He was telling me about how he phoned up Alex ferguson on the morning of the Champs League final to get him to do the foreword for his recent book. I dunno if he ended up doing it right enough as I havent bought the book.... (insert sheepish icon here).

I play football with a couple of his nephews and theyre always good for a wee story.

Character and a half, never a dull moment when youre in his company.

He was telling me about how he phoned up Alex ferguson on the morning of the Champs League final to get him to do the foreword for his recent book. I dunno if he ended up doing it right enough as I havent bought the book.... (insert sheepish icon here).

I play football with a couple of his nephews and theyre always good for a wee story.

... gets a mention in the article ...

I loved him when he played for us.

He was well past his best by that time but he was a real personality.

"Willie, Willie show us your arse" :D

Remember it well he always played to the fans

I know the co-author of Wullies book Tom Bullimore when we were younger we used to go and see the jambos every week, I am over in Fife in a couple of weeks from Spain so hopefully I can get a signed copy will also try and get Garys book as well.

Grumpy.

I remember a game Tynie when Willie was playing for us, can't remember if it was against h**s or septic. i was in the 'enclosure' when Willie came over to take a throw-in. As he bent down to pick up the ball, he looked up at us with a smile on his face and 'crossed' himself! The rest of the ground must have been wondering what we were all laughing at!:P

Archived