Great footballing injustices

shaun.lawson

Gav Aitchison

Apparently the 1887 and 1902 Scottish Cup finals were both travesties, with Dumbarton and - for once - Celtic being completely robbed and cheated.

Apparently the 1887 and 1902 Scottish Cup finals were both travesties, with Dumbarton and - for once - Celtic being completely robbed and cheated.

Has to be the only explanation, surely?

Charlie-Brown

Ray Tinkler's incredible 'on-side' decision for Jeff Astle's goal Leeds v West Brom April 1971 that cost Leeds the title.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/nov/21/football-arsenal-tottenham-everton-barcelona-real?commentpage=4&commentposted=1

A bit tongue in cheek in places, but a good piece nonetheless. And I bet there'll be a fair few votes for 1986 or Andy Davis on here!

Shaun - reading the Guardian at 3:40 a.m. ?

You NEED to get a life (or some sleep) .... ;)

Topical one now that Willie Johnston has a new book coming out.

But I remember in his old book he mentions (and I have a vague memory of the actual game) that he was sent off at Celtic park playing for us for an incident with Davie Provo where Provo clearly faked it to get him sent off. Not on the scale of the article, but still pashes me off to this day.

Anyone else recall this one?

I was at that game ...

Real nasty atmosphere and the game where Danny McGrain done Peter Shields with a outrageous tackle that broke Shields leg, as I recall it ... there was then a throw in to Celtic (yes I know) ... Willie Johnston picks the ball up and throws it (normal ... not in any way hard) to Davie Provan, who then allows it to hit him on the face/head and proceeds to go down writhing like he had been shot claiming that Johnston had headbutted him ... Johnston gets sent off and Provan is up and running about 'miracle like' seconds later and for the rest of the game ... early eighties cup game

Topical one now that Willie Johnston has a new book coming out.

But I remember in his old book he mentions (and I have a vague memory of the actual game) that he was sent off at Celtic park playing for us for an incident with Davie Provo where Provo clearly faked it to get him sent off. Not on the scale of the article, but still pashes me off to this day.

Anyone else recall this one?

IIRC (and I was at the game) it was a cup tie when we had been relegated the previous season. One of the strangest games I've ever seen. Mega Hearts support at Darkheid even though everyone expected us to get thrashed. We played brilliantly and were by far the better team in the first half and should have been well ahead with the chances created. In the end I think Sellick won 4-1 in a game they were hardly in , in which Hearts hit the woodwork 3 times , I think. A sign of things to come at HMFC.

Provos actions were disgraceful playacting.

IIRC (and I was at the game) it was a cup tie when we had been relegated the previous season. One of the strangest games I've ever seen. Mega Hearts support at Darkheid even though everyone expected us to get thrashed. We played brilliantly and were by far the better team in the first half and should have been well ahead with the chances created. In the end I think Sellick won 4-1 in a game they were hardly in , in which Hearts hit the woodwork 3 times , I think. A sign of things to come at HMFC.

Provos actions were disgraceful playacting.

Aye Hearts had a massive support through that day,their was loads of fighting in our end with the police,cop hats flying in the air.Provan' a cheating Billy Hunt.

Aye Hearts had a massive support through that day,their was loads of fighting in our end with the police,cop hats flying in the air.Provan' a cheating Billy Hunt.

Police hats for Frisbees and the police refusing to go back in to the crowd after trying the hard stuff for no apparent reason and coming off a very poor second.

Some really hard characters in the Hearts support then.

Archived