back in the day...

Gav Aitchison

Gav Aitchison

Proof that Hearts fans are never happy?

Ye olde Kickbacke. Autumn 1957....

Dalry Davie: "Hi guys. Couldn't make it to the game today. How did we play?"

Gorgie George: "Hello Davie. We won 9-1, but we were rubbish and were lucky to win at all. We went to sleep at the start of the second half and it's just as well we scored another six late on, or otherwise Falkirk might have been in with half a chance."

DavieBaird1896: "I agree. We're far too complacent in games these days. Several times this season we should have had double figures at least, but we're not focussing. Training methods clearly need to improve."

Gorgie George: "You're right. I know we've strung a few wins together but we're already out of the League Cup because we blew it on the first day of the season. Tommy Walker should have been sacked there and then. He's simply not up to it. FACT."

TamOnTheTram: "George, Davie - you are both SPOT ON!!! When we won the Scottish Cup a couple of years ago I thought we could go on and do something but it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!! Why are we wasting money on things like a floodlight system? Hello?! Buy players or we might as well stay in the pub."

DavieBaird1896: "The thing is Tam, all this club cares about is looking good. That's why they want all these 'exhibition' games against English sides and the Army. It's pointless and will just tire the players out. We'll never get good results in the league because we're too busy showboating. This team will underachieve like all the others and season 57/58 will go down as yet another false dawn."

........[a few months later].... Hearts are 46 points clear at the top of the table, with a goal difference of 809, but have just lost 4-3 in an all-Edinburgh Scottish Cup clash at Tynecastle...

Gorgie George: "WALKER MUST GO! I don't care if we win the league, the whole season is ruined now. We've thrown away another cup. We need to change things now."

WalkerWay: "This is terrible. I can tell that lot from Easter Road are going to go all the way and win the cup now. It's been 56 years since they won it; they're bound to win it eventually and I fear this could be their year. Winning the league is scant consolation. We'd better go on a tour of Canada to get away from it all."

It's been 56 years since they won it; they're bound to win it eventually and I fear this could be their year.

56 years must have seemed like such a long time. I'd love to be able to go back in time and tell those suffering Jambos how we're still waiting for Hibs to win the cup and that it's now been 107 years. Perhaps there's even some guy in the future thinking the same in 2108 and wanting to be able to come back to 2008 and let us know that all is well, that they're still waiting, and that the most used smiley on JK is "207 years".

Charlie-Brown

This place will go into meltdown when Dave McKay gets sold to Spurs and then Alex Young & George Thomson go to Everton......

Commander Harris
This place will go into meltdown when Dave McKay gets sold to Spurs and then Alex Young & George Thomson go to Everton......

SOURCE?

Gav Aitchison
Top job Gav

I await the 1959/60 'Bauld was crap anyway' thread with bated breath

November, 1962

Gorgie George: "Why has Willie Bauld been given a testimonial? It's a disgrace. People are going on about the Terrible Trio - have they forgotten that all three of them have left Hearts. They could've stayed but clearly had no commitment to the club. The only terrible thing is that people still go on about them."

Robert Sonavenue: "George, George, George - your post won't last long here. It talks too much sense. Bauld especially? It's a nonsense. Now before all the Bauld-lovers start on here, I KNOW he won two League Cups, a Scottish Cup and two league titles and I KNOW he scored hundreds of goals, but what else did he ever do for Hearts?"

Auld Reekie Donald: "WE should get a testimonial. I've given more service to Hearts than any of these players ever have. Why should we be lining these players' pockets? I see they've even put the programme price up to 6d tonight. 6d?! That is shocking - it's as much as the cup final programme was against Kilmarnock a few weeks back."

Crystal Ball: "Are you people never happy? We've just won our fourth League Cup and seventh trophy overall in eight years, and are now in a position where we'll going to be winning a trophy at least every second season for a long time to come. There'll never be another wait like we had from 1906 to 54, trust me. And if you don't want to go tonight, then don't. Nobody will remember Bauld in a few years anyway."

Archived