Bank of Scotland

gadgey55

I have recently went from weekly to monthly pay, and forgot about a couple of direct debits to change. Lo and behold, nae dough in the bank and 3 reurned. 105 notes coming oot, and hey tell me there is nowt they can do about it cos it was my own stupid fault for not checking. A wee bit poor on their behalf no? Cannie afford over a hunner quid this time of the year!

I'm thinking about taking my business elsewhere. Any ideas?

nationwide seem to be the best for accounts just now, have a look at their website and it compares their current account with the other major banks

Who did you speak too?

Phone back customer services/go to your local branch and speak to someone, basically stay calm and complain about the charges.

If you have a decent history and no charges before they will return at least some of it.

Phoning and getting abusive etc will get you nowhere so remain calm and polite.

I got a charge last week, the first in a long time and they actually offered to refund it given that I was ?2 short and I moved money over from another a/c for when it was re-presented. I was quite shocked I didn't have to ask. Maybe it was as I admitted it was an oversight on my part and didn't go off on one on the phone to them.

Who did you speak too?

Phone back customer services/go to your local branch and speak to someone, basically stay calm and complain about the charges.

If you have a decent history and no charges before they will return at least some of it.

Because I had a charge in October last year, and they recinded it as a 'good will gesure', the woman (poor English for a call operator BTW) said they cannot reverse these ones. Regardless of circumstances. I felt myself getting extremely het up, so I had to put the fone doon before I lost the rag.

you can normally get away with 1 or 2 a year so I would have thought they would have at least offered to refund some if not all if it has been over a year since your last charge.

In that case unless you fancy getting on the charges bandwagon when the case is decided I wouldnt hold out your luck.

Depending on your worth to them you could threaten to leave them but for ?105 this could be a lot of hassle.

At the end of the day I dont see why people get wound up at the staff, their doing there job and getting abusive/argumentative only ensures they dont want to help you.

Who did you speak too?

Definitely try this...I got 108 notes down to 20 when I got a bit carried away at uni.

I loved it when I worked there

Basically people who had cash taken out due to keeping their pin with the card were held fully liable. We had the authority to reduce this to ?50 or 0 or any other sum we liked basically - Well I did and a few others as we were "experienced".

It was amazing how many idiots came on the phone though, screamed, shouted and were downright abusive. Did themselves a real favour :)

As frustrating as things with banks or any other industry are, you should always remain calm and just explain your stance.

Basically people who had cash taken out due to keeping their pin with the card were held fully liable. We had the authority to reduce this to ?50 or 0 or any other sum we liked basically - Well I did and a few others as we were "experienced".

It was amazing how many idiots came on the phone though, screamed, shouted and were downright abusive. Did themselves a real favour :)

As frustrating as things with banks or any other industry are, you should always remain calm and just explain your stance.

The woman I spoke to told me there was nothing that could be done. She just pulling my chain?

The woman I spoke to told me there was nothing that could be done. She just pulling my chain?

It will vary, If you have a branch were your familiar with the staff you definitely have a better chance there.

Otherwise call back and ask the person again, if they say no ask to raise a complaint. Focus on the mistake aspect, the fact it wont happen again, the fact you do manage your finances well, the change in wages caused it and financial hardship

If you use up enough of their time whilst remaining polite I reckon they will back down.

Occasionally they did have zero tolerance but only a current employee would know if thats current

i'm with you completely as far as that's concerned.... generally speaking when it comes to customers getting the goods/service provider - customer relationship thing all wrong.

i'm being hypocritical a bit 'cos i've lost the heid myself but only when i know i'm definitely in the right and getting bent over a barrel. i really wonder about folk who think they can get things their way just by going daft or even just demanding.... it doesn't work with me, that's for sure.

the customer is always right? big baw-sacks to that.

I have never trusted banks.

Always keep my dosh in a shortbread tin on the mantelpiece.

you're too tight to buy shortbread. it's under your mattress innit?

i'm with you completely as far as that's concerned.... generally speaking when it comes to customers getting the goods/service provider - customer relationship thing all wrong.

i'm being hypocritical a bit 'cos i've lost the heid myself but only when i know i'm definitely in the right and getting bent over a barrel. i really wonder about folk who think they can get things their way just by going daft or even just demanding.... it doesn't work with me, that's for sure.

the customer is always right? big baw-sacks to that.

Absolutely. If your polite and calm, but also standing your ground, you will get better service. I also find that adding a wee bit of humour tends to help. The folk who have to deal with these requests have to listen to moaners all day long so if they occasionally get a nice person you may find that they will help you far beyond your expectations. Mind you my expectations when dealing with call centres tends to be incredibly low.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
you're too tight to buy shortbread. it's under your mattress innit?

Settle down auld yin.

If we are yacking about tightwads you knowfull well you have no equal.

The bank of scotland is a disgrace of a bank(in my experience)the staff seem totally uninterested in their customers needs.I doesnt surprise me that it is now about to go down the swanny.:(

Absolutely. If your polite and calm, but also standing your ground, you will get better service. I also find that adding a wee bit of humour tends to help. The folk who have to deal with these requests have to listen to moaners all day long so if they occasionally get a nice person you may find that they will help you far beyond your expectations. Mind you my expectations when dealing with call centres tends to be incredibly low.

not even just call centres, any form of public facing customer service.

the more people that no snash the better as far as i'm concerned. the more people that let customers walk all over them just gives them encouragement to chance their arm elsewhere. i don't need any more pish takers or time wasters.

customers are bawbags.... FACT.

Settle down auld yin.

If we are yacking about tightwads you knowfull well you have no equal.

you may have a point, if not a coat.

Miller Jambo 60
Who did you speak too?

Correct Prancer,he should phone them and plead poverty i got 6 charges overturned 2 months ago.

silly wee direct debits like the rspca and other charities just about cost me a fortune.

I have never trusted banks.

Always keep my dosh in a shortbread tin on the mantelpiece.

C'mon I think you keep it in your secretary's 'Cary Grant's', I concur. :rolleyes:

Patrick Bateman

I've heard the Co-op bank are pretty decent http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/.

Personally I'd pish myself if HBOS, RBS and many of the other greedy, soul sucking instutions are wiped from the face of the earth. Bunch of Shylocks.

I've heard the Co-op bank are pretty decent http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/.

Personally I'd pish myself if HBOS, RBS and many of the other greedy, soul sucking instutions are wiped from the face of the earth. Bunch of Shylocks.

been with Smile (part of the Coop Bank) for almost 10 years and I have not had one bit of hassle from them.

Archived