It's Parky Outside...

Swanny17

Why do people say that? Does the phrase come from rhyming slang?

Must confess, I use the phrase but don't know where it comes from.

Hmmm....

:rolleyes:

Hmmm....

Never heard it before but is it not to do with being that cold you need to were a parky jacket.

I loved my old parky when I was at school. Luminous orange lining, nice!

Never heard it before but is it not to do with being that cold you need to were a parky jacket.

I loved my old parky when I was at school. Luminous orange lining, nice!

That kinda what I reckoned. I had a parker jacket too, great cause you could pull the zip right up to your eye balls just about.

:)

That kinda what I reckoned. I had a parker jacket too, great cause you could pull the zip right up to your eye balls just about.

Yes, not only did you look like but also talked like Kenny in South Park.

Hmmm....

OED says it is 'origin uncertain' (helpful, huh?) but dates from 1890s - so definitely nowt to do with parkas!.

Was that not called a snorkel? with the furry hood.

Was that not called a snorkel? with the furry hood.

Snorkel Parka.

I got a cracking Spiewak one last year. It has to be at least -5 otherwise you'll sweat your sacks off.

I P Knightley

Flimsy's close.

It's to do with the days when the Tory Cabinet Minister, Cecil Parkinson, was putting it about.

His (prominent) bird, Sara Keays was afflicted with the condition we know as "Smartie Smuggling" or "Chapel Hat Peg-itis".

Of course, her cruder colleagues, when it was known about her affair with Cecil were pretty remorseless with the teasing. To the extent that, when she came in from the cold and had the aforementioned Smarties up her jumper, those colleagues would insinuate that Cecil had just been paying her nipples a bit of close attention.

They would should, "Hey! Is Parky out there?" a phrase which quickly assimilated itself into common parlance.

Archived