Mrs Unis pakoras for lunch

Victorian

get in!!!

chicken ones are best, chilli sauce is mandatory of course.

vegetarian ones are just not on, especially with no chilli sauce.

it's gay..... as gay as mardi gras.

surely no dissenters to that.... well maybe one. :)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I used to walk past her shop in Dalry in the days when I was partial to a spliff or ten.

About a fivers worth of grub out my dole money and I was a happy boy.

She used to do onion bhaji's the size of cricket balls, these potato fritter things that were hotter than hot and the mushroom pakora was the dugs.

Nelly Terraces
get in!!!

it's gay..... as gay as mardi gras.

surely no dissenters to that.... well maybe one. :)

Top Man. Mrs Unis pakoras f ***** g rule. I was a bit gutted when they closed the kitchen/shop they were made in, on Dalry Rd, a few years back. I actually 1st thought they were closing altogether, was happy to find they were only moving, thus the spicetastic taste of Mrs U's pakoras could still be purchased in small shops across Edinburgh.

Now, onto the thorny issue of chicken v veg. I have to say, I DO like the veggo ones, that's not to say I am in any way espousing the 'virtues' (are there any??) of vegetarianism. Veggo's are *****. Meat rules. That said, when it comes to the matter of the pakora, I am deff a Veg man. Naturally, post pakora, I do like then to chomp my way through half a tonne of lamb bhuna.

Alos, although Mrs U's pakoras are peerless in their field of takeaway from small shops, when it comes to those little golden beauties in a restaurant setting then Kushi's on Victoria St stands head, shoulders and lime pickle above the rest. They are without doubt the food of the gods. The chilli sauce there is like fine wine on the tastebuds. I'm going there tomorrow actually, can't wait.

Cheers. Good thread. Mrs Unis - hail the pukka pakora!:)

NT.

Oh, and yer right, a pakora wioot chilli sauce is like chrimbo dinner wioot roast spuds - f ***** g pointless.

Nelly Terraces
I used to walk past her shop in Dalry in the days when I was partial to a spliff or ten.

About a fivers worth of grub out my dole money and I was a happy boy.

She used to do onion bhaji's the size of cricket balls, these potato fritter things that were hotter than hot and the mushroom pakora was the dugs.

Good post. I was also partial to the odd 'jazz cigarrete' back in the day when my then girlfriend lived in Wardlaw Street. You could really fill yer boots at Mrs U's on the cheap.

Mentions of the onion bhaji's and spicy tattie fritters - I doft my imaginary hat to you there, Sir.;)

Top Man. Mrs Unis pakoras f ***** g rule. I was a bit gutted when they closed the kitchen/shop they were made in, on Dalry Rd, a few years back. I actually 1st thought they were closing altogether, was happy to find they were only moving, thus the spicetastic taste of Mrs U's pakoras could still be purchased in small shops across Edinburgh.

Now, onto the thorny issue of chicken v veg. I have to say, I DO like the veggo ones, that's not to say I am in any way espousing the 'virtues' (are there any??) of vegetarianism. Veggo's are *****. Meat rules. That said, when it comes to the matter of the pakora, I am deff a Veg man. Naturally, post pakora, I do like then to chomp my way through half a tonne of lamb bhuna.

Alos, although Mrs U's pakoras are peerless in their field of takeaway from small shops, when it comes to those little golden beauties in a restaurant setting then Kushi's on Victoria St stands head, shoulders and lime pickle above the rest. They are without doubt the food of the gods. The chilli sauce there is like fine wine on the tastebuds. I'm going there tomorrow actually, can't wait.

NT.

Oh, and yer right, a pakora wioot chilli sauce is like chrimbo dinner wioot roast spuds - f ***** g pointless.

good lord. i can see you are a pakora fan there fella. never before has the humble pakora spawned such an enthusiatic response.

Nelly Terraces
good lord. i can see you are a pakora fan there fella. never before has the humble pakora spawned such an enthusiatic response.

You started it chief!:P

I always thought Mrs Unis' location was no coincidence given the amount of dealers in the Dalry area.

Is it just me or do you not hear of as many people smoking weed now?

I always thought Mrs Unis' location was no coincidence given the amount of dealers in the Dalry area.

Is it just me or do you not hear of as many people smoking weed now?

You're just getting old Adi...

...like the rest of us! :o

You're just getting old Adi...

...like the rest of us! :o

I'd be interested to see what my joint rolling skills are like now, it's been a few years.

Think the last time i was proper stoned was the night of the Iraq invasion. Me and my mate sat up all night watching the Americans roll into Bagdad.

Good times it has to be said.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Is Mrs Uni's just wholesale now? No shop of her own?

See them in my local corner shop but they don't taste the same.

Best one ever in her shop was one day and they had a load of naan breads straight out the oven and two women were slathering them in ghee, coriander and garlic

We got two of them hot and ate them walking down to my mates gaff on Manor Place.

Bliss!

Is Mrs Uni's just wholesale now? No shop of her own?

See them in my local corner shop but they don't taste the same.

Best one ever in her shop was one day and they had a load of naan breads straight out the oven and two women were slathering them in ghee, coriander and garlic

We got two of them hot and ate them walking down to my mates gaff on Manor Place.

Bliss!

They are based at industrial unit at peffermill now , i mind going through to dunfy on the train for the fitty with a warm bag of mrs u's pakora to keep me company , lovely stuff , i also palled about with her laddy at school.

Say What Again

Oi! :mad:

That's what I had at work yesterday - but with the FULL sachet of chilli sauce I should add :P

NT.

Mrs Uni's and Kushi's mentioned in the same post. God I miss Auld Reekie! Looking forward to getting back there this Christmas. :)

Shame the one on Dalry shut. Is there still one on Peffermill Industrial Estate? I'm sure I read it burnt down about 3 years ago. That place was magic - I worked at the Peffermill one for my work experience (in the finance dept) in 1999 - got my fill of free samosas/pakora/etc that week! :)

Strangely enough I used toknow a couple who used to live round the corner from Mrs Unis and loved a shpliff or 2, Mrs Unis was indeed the biz,. I loved it & when the shop moved I started to make my own pakora, Tiz seriously easy & if like me you like it nippy just add more chillis !!!! Superb

And by the way if you like a good nippy chilli sauce just get yoghurt, mint sauce tomato ketchup and chilli powder, mix them together and your farter will be flappin in a couple of hours.

blondejamtart

Was it Mrs Unis who made haggis pakoras? Or am I imagining it? Our local corner shop used to sell her stuff, but haven't seen it in ages.

Archived