New financial criteria to be met for SPL membership

redm

I might be wrong but this sounds a bit like a licencing system which operates in many other European leagues. If the national FA is dissatisfied with aspects of a clubs finances (I don't know what the criteria are) they could be relegated and not allowed to play in Europe. I believe this happens frequently in some Eastern European countries and I think it happened to Shelbourne in Ireland last season, perhaps one of our Irish supporters could clarify if I'm taking rubbish or not.

I might be wrong but this sounds a bit like a licencing system which operates in many other European leagues. If the national FA is dissatisfied with aspects of a clubs finances (I don't know what the criteria are) they could be relegated and not allowed to play in Europe. I believe this happens frequently in some Eastern European countries and I think it happened to Shelbourne in Ireland last season, perhaps one of our Irish supporters could clarify if I'm taking rubbish or not.

Shelbourne were chucked out of the top flight after getting into serious financial doodoo. They were the leading club in Ireland in recent years, winning the league five times since the start of the decade and narrowly missing out on the group stages of the Champions League. But they ran up big debts (though small by SPL standards) and couldn't afford to meet their basic financial commitments. So they were relegated in February 2007 despite being the defending league champions. Sadly, the club's major shareholder was ill at the time with a brain tumour, and he passed away a few months later. This season, Shelbourne lost out on promotion back to the top flight on the final day of the season.

Shelbourne were chucked out of the top flight after getting into serious financial doodoo. They were the leading club in Ireland in recent years, winning the league five times since the start of the decade and narrowly missing out on the group stages of the Champions League. But they ran up big debts (though small by SPL standards) and couldn't afford to meet their basic financial commitments. So they were relegated in February 2007 despite being the defending league champions. Sadly, the club's major shareholder was ill at the time with a brain tumour, and he passed away a few months later. This season, Shelbourne lost out on promotion back to the top flight on the final day of the season.

Thanks Uly.

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere but couldn't spot a related thread so here you go...

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=7237

Okay, not entirely unexpected...but what sort of financial information exactly? And what will these criteria be? And...um....should we be worried?

Don't really know if we should be worried but it's a great idea,stop's more Gretna,Motherwell,Livingston scenarios.

Clubs that do find themselfs in a wee bit off money bother try and fleece the supporters,not just their own,this could stop this happening again and also save face for the SPL.

Don't really know if we should be worried but it's a great idea,stop's more Gretna,Motherwell,Livingston scenarios.

Clubs that do find themselfs in a wee bit off money bother try and fleece the supporters,not just their own,this could stop this happening again and also save face for the SPL.

Yep. I'm just wondering what the SFA have up their sleeve in terms of the measures they would take. Apparently they wouldn't be punitive in nature but I'm struggling to imagine what they could be otherwise.

Seems that the SFA aren't the only people considering tighter controls...

http://www.eufootball.biz/finance/6355-football_league_to_tighten_financial_rules.html

and UEFA are getting tough too...

http://www.eufootball.biz/finance/6206-0910088-uefa_ban_clubs_debt.html

Did UEFA not try and restrict teams debts a few years back,then found out that Real Madrid were in more debt than they were actually worth so shelved that plan quite quickly.

Yep. I'm just wondering what the SFA have up their sleeve in terms of the measures they would take. Apparently they wouldn't be punitive in nature but I'm struggling to imagine what they could be otherwise.

athey could refuse entry into their league,the SPL that is,like they stopped teams getting in because of the stadia requirements,I would think they would make it so that a club could be thrown out of the league as well if they fail to meet the standards set.

Once again IMO this is only a good thing for Scottish football in general,curbs over spendng and will tend to keep what money we have in Scottish football.

As some have said it's the same set up as many other countries have, for entry into their top flight leagues, Germany has very stringent criteria that have to be met for entry into the Bundesliga.

Was also reading yesterday about the sale of Woolies for ?1, and in the article it stated other companies that are in vulnerable positions one of which is JJB Sports. Correct me if im wrong but didnt they just loan a massive amount of money to Rangers? should they be in trouble and have to recall that debt it could put Rangers in a serious situation, Rangers also owe many millions to HBOS, as do many other clubs (Not to the same extent as Rangers) until the HBOS situation is sorted out then these clubs must be worried. If a foreign buyer takes over they could start recalling a lot of the debt, or probably will not show the same level of leniancy and support. Im just glad we no longer owe 20million to HBOS

The question has to be

Who wasted more of hearts cash, pieman or romanov?

Im going for romanov

Your first attempt at trawling on this thread failed miserably but God loves a trier apparently :rolleyes:

Financial criteria 1 should be that the players get paid on time.

Agreed, so wasn't it great to see the club sort out the technical glitch rather quickly.

Well done HMFC, im sure you'll agree.

Guest JamboRobbo
Agreed, so wasn't it great to see the club sort out the technical glitch rather quickly.

Well done HMFC, im sure you'll agree.

If it doesn't happen again, I agree it's good they sorted it.

Wouldn't say it was sorted quickly, and wouldn't say any well done is evr required for fixing something that should never have happened in the first place. :eek:

As some have said it's the same set up as many other countries have, for entry into their top flight leagues, Germany has very stringent criteria that have to be met for entry into the Bundesliga.

Was also reading yesterday about the sale of Woolies for ?1, and in the article it stated other companies that are in vulnerable positions one of which is JJB Sports. Correct me if im wrong but didnt they just loan a massive amount of money to Rangers? should they be in trouble and have to recall that debt it could put Rangers in a serious situation, Rangers also owe many millions to HBOS, as do many other clubs (Not to the same extent as Rangers) until the HBOS situation is sorted out then these clubs must be worried. If a foreign buyer takes over they could start recalling a lot of the debt, or probably will not show the same level of leniancy and support. Im just glad we no longer owe 20million to HBOS

What you have said in your second paragraph highlights a very serious issue and I am sure if Rangers got themselves into an untenable situation the SFA would bring in emergency legislation. The current economic climate is hardly the time to be considering this point as any horses that were going to bolt will be well down the line to do so.

What you have said in your second paragraph highlights a very serious issue and I am sure if Rangers got themselves into an untenable situation the SFA would bring in emergency legislation. The current economic climate is hardly the time to be considering this point as any horses that were going to bolt will be well down the line to do so.

The SFA can do what they want,it's the SPL that are doing this,anyway I don't think Rangers debt is anything for them to worry about,Murray has covered most of the debt out of his own pocket and what debt they have doesn't come close to what they are worth.

The SFA can do what they want,it's the SPL that are doing this,anyway I don't think Rangers debt is anything for them to worry about,Murray has covered most of the debt out of his own pocket and what debt they have doesn't come close to what they are worth.

Murray is going through his own financial problems if reports/rumours are to be believed. I doubt very much he would bail rangers out to the tune of their overall debt. Rangers valuation is also overly inflated by Murray himself, reason for that had something to do with their expansion project.

FWIW though i do think it would take something really drastic to happen for Rangers to be in severe financial trouble to the extent of them being bankrupt or in administration, but there could be enough trouble to stem the flow of millions being poured into the team.

Murray is going through his own financial problems if reports/rumours are to be believed. I doubt very much he would bail rangers out to the tune of their overall debt. Rangers valuation is also overly inflated by Murray himself, reason for that had something to do with their expansion project.

FWIW though i do think it would take something really drastic to happen for Rangers to be in severe financial trouble to the extent of them being bankrupt or in administration, but there could be enough trouble to stem the flow of millions being poured into the team.

I would think that we would be in soapy bubble before Rangers TBH,I would also think that they would have a buyer quicker than us to bail them out if need be quicker than us.

If and when Murray does sell up,me thinks he will have a good few willing to buy him out IMO.

I would think that we would be in soapy bubble before Rangers TBH,I would also think that they would have a buyer quicker than us to bail them out if need be quicker than us.

If and when Murray does sell up,me thinks he will have a good few willing to buy him out IMO.

He's been trying to sell Rangers for the past few years now and no-one is interested.

He's been trying to sell Rangers for the past few years now and no-one is interested.

Or so it has been mentioned on here a few times,but I can find no hard evidence of this only these

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/murray-condemns-rangers-troublemakers-956257.html

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/07/13/SOCCER_Rangers_Murray.html

http://www.ananova.com/sport/story/sm_1913700.html

All really saying the same thing.

portobellojambo1
Who are beetroot blue or heritage portfolio?

Two catering companies which I believe Chris Robinson chairs, or certainly did, at least one of which was his own creation, in fact I think both were.

Two catering companies which I believe Chris Robinson chairs, or certainly did, at least one of which was his own creation, in fact I think both were.

Have you flitted from Portobello to Peebles? :P

Its not even a story, its a thread about an entirely fantastical idea that has no basis in fact, just plucked out of thin air.

No quotes.

No links.

No basis in facts whatsoever.

Is that honestly the best they can do?

You're wrong - Mikey wouldn't tell porkies, would he?

Today' date=' 06:43 PM #14

@hibs.net private member

Killer Darts: Jaws

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurf

reliable source on The Bounce saying not...

He's not reliable. He's a bible

If P&G says they aint been paid........ they aint been paid [/quote']

Oh wait! You're right, complete non-story...........but let's move on to the 26th now.

Today' date=' 08:39 PM #30

@hibs.net private member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey

He's not reliable. He's a bible

If P&G says they aint been paid........ they aint been paid

P&G now saying they've been paid

When are the non playing staff due to get paid? Is that not around the 26th?[/quote']

Is anybody counting these 'the end is nigh' threads from the Hobos? I'm guessing P&G stands for Pash & Garbage!

Lay of the Land
Oh wait! You're right, complete non-story...........but let's move on to the 26th now.

Is anybody counting these 'the end is nigh' threads from the Hobos? I'm guessing P&G stands for Pash & Garbage!

I agree.

The clubs that have went belly-up in recent years have all been closed down by HMRC.

If our payments are up-to-date with them, then we can fend off the petty creditors.

Archived