Rene Higuita

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Can anyone confirm this?

Mind his ridiculous save v England at Wembley?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CYWiVN3aQWY

Was that save while the ball was in play or was the play stopped and he was fecking about?

Was reading a piece on him the other day and this would destroy that save if it wasn't legit!

I think he done it cos he thought the ball was out of play but the ref hadn't actually stopped the game.

Can anyone confirm this?

Was that save while the ball was in play or was the play stopped and he was fecking about?

Was reading a piece on him the other day and this would destroy that save if it wasn't legit!

I think Neville knocked the ball in and the referee blew his whistle for a foul/offside, then Higuita did his thing. He later claimed he never heard the whistle. I could be wrong though.

Need some conclusive evidence! Too much doubt.

Wikipedia him BTW, he is an interesting character to say the least! :eek:

I don't need to Wiki him: I've already heard about his many antics! Prison, drug running, and all sorts of womanising I believe? A friend of mine has been working with Faustino Asprilla on his autobiography - and El Loco makes Tino look like the Queen Mum...

If you watch the footage AP, Redknapp and most of the other players have turned their back by the time Higuita connects - but the ref doesn't appear to blow for something until afterwards. It looks like the ref maybe couldn't work out how the ball rebounded to where it did, but I think the game was still live when the save happened. :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxe4r6SjH0

Whilst play has stopped in the England game, it was widely reported in the press at the time that he also did it in a domestic game when the ball was live (although I've never seen video footage of that).

maroondoonhamer
Did he get shot?

I cant remember....

Did he die....

Are you not thinking of Escobar (or something similar) who got shot after scoring an own goal in the world cup??

Completely contrived, pre-arranged and stage managed with the collusion of the England player who very kindly "lobbed" it in exactly the position Huigita had asked for.

Ive thought that since the day I saw it.

I don't need to Wiki him: I've already heard about his many antics! Prison, drug running, and all sorts of womanising I believe? A friend of mine has been working with Faustino Asprilla on his autobiography - and El Loco makes Tino look like the Queen Mum...

If you watch the footage AP, Redknapp and most of the other players have turned their back by the time Higuita connects - but the ref doesn't appear to blow for something until afterwards. It looks like the ref maybe couldn't work out how the ball rebounded to where it did, but I think the game was still live when the save happened. :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxe4r6SjH0

Shaun, if they have all turned their backs, why does the England player try to head the ball back down the park?

As for Higuita being a nutter.... i'm sure Roger Milla would agree... :P.....

Completely contrived, pre-arranged and stage managed with the collusion of the England player who very kindly "lobbed" it in exactly the position Huigita had asked for.

Ive thought that since the day I saw it.

Never! Some England players were in fits of laughter - and Redknapp had turned his back, so didn't actually know what'd happened.

Shaun, if they have all turned their backs, why does the England player try to head the ball back down the park?

As for Higuita being a nutter.... i'm sure Roger Milla would agree... :P.....

Ah yes - a mistake described by Higuita as "as big as a house", though his manager was remarkably understanding about it. Pre-tournament, there'd been much hype about the "sweeper keeper"; and he damn near got caught out in the previous game against West Germany: a match another KBer remembers particularly fondly for its denouement.

As for the England player heading it: looks to me like the whistle's gone, and he's just disinterestedly knocking it down out of habit TBH.

That was the same tournament Columbia were meant to suprise everyone and have a real chance of winning it...well according to Mr Tim Vickery.

Does it matter if the play was stopped or not it was some save.

Ah yes - a mistake described by Higuita as "as big as a house", though his manager was remarkably understanding about it. Pre-tournament, there'd been much hype about the "sweeper keeper"; and he damn near got caught out in the previous game against West Germany: a match another KBer remembers particularly fondly for its denouement.

As for the England player heading it: looks to me like the whistle's gone, and he's just disinterestedly knocking it down out of habit TBH.

They all turn back up the park as they all expect Higuita to catch the ball normally and they turn to get back into position for the kick back up the park.

That was the same tournament Columbia were meant to suprise everyone and have a real chance of winning it...well according to Mr Tim Vickery.

Does it matter if the play was stopped or not it was some save.

Nope - that was a year before, at USA 94. Extraordinarily, Colombia had beaten Argentina 5-0 in Buenos Aires, whereupon inflating expectations to an impossibly demanding level, were blessed with a kind draw (Romania, Switzerland and the USA seemed like a very winnable group), and Pele tipped them to triumph - but then, Pele tips everyone anyway. Even I had them down for the semis as I recall. But the pressure was just too much; and ultimately, tragedy intervened too.

Surely the biggest culprit is the dum ass defender who passes the ball back to him when he get put under a wee bit pressure! Dinny give the ball to the goalie when he's 40 yards from goal and he won't lose it.:eek:

Surely the biggest culprit is the dum ass defender who passes the ball back to him when he get put under a wee bit pressure! Dinny give the ball to the goalie when he's 40 yards from goal and he won't lose it.:eek:

That's what I thought! What was the guy thinking?!

He obviously hasn't heard the great Scottish saying 'out the park for medals'

Couldn't agree more - and it's not as though he didn't know what Higuita was like either!

Play had defo stopped mate... that is the only reason he did it!;)

Can anyone confirm this?

The ball was still in play,unknown to him,IIRC his manager gave him dogs abuse after it.

Guest Dipped Flake
The ball was still in play,unknown to him,IIRC his manager gave him dogs abuse after it.

Correct, ball was definately still in play. Although I think he thought the whistle had gone I have never heard him confirm that.

Tokyo Drifter
Can anyone confirm this?

It was a friendly but I think it was live, which is why everyone was gob-smacked that he did it and appalled at what would have happened if he'd missed it. I seem to remember it was his party trick so presumaby he'd done it a few times. I also remember the commentary team's main complaint was the he could have damaged his back. WTF! The dude just kicked the ball with the back of his heels!?

Archived