Sky+ Engineer

billyboy38

Looking for a sky engineer or anyone who knows a bit about sky equipment, they want ?65 for someone to call, though this was a bit steep especially if its only the dish needs moved a few inches or something trivial.:sad:

What I am about to suggest really depends on how good a gambler you are!

I had issues a little while ago with my Sky box, they checked all they check on the phone and decided that "my" box was at fault. Their line, is that the box is your property, not theirs, and if you want it fixed, you need to pay for it. I stated that if they were not prepared to fix "their" box, then I would cancel my Sky. After a bit to-ing and fro-ing with the operator, she directed me to the cancellation department. I stated that I wanted to cancel and the operator asked why. When I explained that I did not want to cancel, but refused to pay ?65 so that I could continue to pay them ?50 a month. I stated that irrespective of how they viewed it, I would not pay that money. At that juncture the operator came back with the old "you have been a customer for x years and we value your custom.." then added that on this occasion that they would send out an engineer free gratis.

The big part of that is, I was prepared to cancel. If you are prepared to cancel, or can at least confidently project that, then that is the way to go.

What I am about to suggest really depends on how good a gambler you are!

I had issues a little while ago with my Sky box, they checked all they check on the phone and decided that "my" box was at fault. Their line, is that the box is your property, not theirs, and if you want it fixed, you need to pay for it. I stated that if they were not prepared to fix "their" box, then I would cancel my Sky. After a bit to-ing and fro-ing with the operator, she directed me to the cancellation department. I stated that I wanted to cancel and the operator asked why. When I explained that I did not want to cancel, but refused to pay ?65 so that I could continue to pay them ?50 a month. I stated that irrespective of how they viewed it, I would not pay that money. At that juncture the operator came back with the old "you have been a customer for x years and we value your custom.." then added that on this occasion that they would send out an engineer free gratis.

The big part of that is, I was prepared to cancel. If you are prepared to cancel, or can at least confidently project that, then that is the way to go.

I had a similar problem and Sky sent out an engineer at half price ?32.I had also told them I would cancel. They came and replaced the receiver on the dish itself. That was included in the ?32.

Looking for a sky engineer or anyone who knows a bit about sky equipment, they want ?65 for someone to call, though this was a bit steep especially if its only the dish needs moved a few inches or something trivial.:sad:

Do what BigH says mate. Been through a few sky boxes and never had to pay a penny in all that time. Stick your guns and you will get a free call out and box replacement if needed. Only tip I would add is phone during the day. ;)

Exactly what they said. Just like for anyone abit hacked off with prices just phone up and say you are thinking about cancelling and they will offer you some kind of deal, depends on the operator, but stick to your guns but it may take a few times of saying im considering cancelling. I phoned up and told a little white lie, said i worked offshore so was only home sometimes was considering cancelling, i ended up getting 3 months for 25 quid, that with full package by the way.

If you do ever have a genuine tv problem, go to a local company, sky are a complete rip off, in some cases they charge 65 quid before they even look at your tv.

My box is needing look at - I've had free call outs through the "I'm going to cancel route" before but they seemed to have changed their tune when I called a few weeks ago - perhaps you need to go through with the cancel threat and they may make an attempt to get you back during the 30 day notices period?

Anyone from Sky able to tell us more?

eddie fenwick

my wife works for them on the phones so i get it for nixy(theyll back down every time according to my better half)

Walter Bishop

My best mates missus works in the cancelation department, each team member has an allocation of "give aways" think its 3 per shift!

Her shift starts at 6 and has told me if i have any problems phone a couple of minutes after 6 and your guaranteed some sort of freebie, i have had a free call out,free sky plus box and a 3 months half price in the last year or so.

So best time is to call as soon as a shift starts!

yeah normal tech operators aren't allowed to do anything except charge, they hav to pass u to cancellations before you are given any offers and depending on what they have avail it may be half price or free. yeah you might think 65quid is a lot but that is for a full fix, call out a plumber and its about 50 quid the second they have knocked on the door. if you have said you are gonna cancel and cancellations have not given an offer, they won't within the 30-day notice. sky may call you up at some point anytime in the future to ask you to come back.....or just get hold of another box, if you defo know its your box that's fecked!! what is the prob with it?

scottish_chicP

I used to work for Sky Technical. If you are outwith your 12 month contract period phone up and say you want to cancel and they will get an engineer out for nothing.

Thanks for all the advise....Dont think the cancel route will work as im on a deal after cancelling whereby im only paying ?3 for the next 3 months then it goes up to ?17. Cant stand the bairn taking over my tv to watch all this jungle nonsense...:)

Archived