NEW PROPOSED SPEED LAWS

Miller Jambo 60

Miller Jambo 60

New proposed speed laws as such.

1 50 in a 30 6 points

2 70 in a 50 6 points

3 90 in a 70 6 points

TBH i thought at present if you went to court instead of a fixed pen 60? + 3points you were liable for the 6 points.

Anyone caught at the new speeds deserves an instant ban never mind 6points IMHO.

Discuss.

1 50 in a 30 6 points

2 70 in a 50 6 points

3 90 in a 70 6 points

TBH i thought at present if you went to court instead of a fixed pen 60? + 3points you were liable for the 6 points.

Anyone caught at the new speeds deserves an instant ban never mind 6points IMHO.

Discuss.

What about 60 in a 40?

I think I see a loophole.

Seems fair enough and I think that will be covered in any proper legislation Baps.

At the end of the day we probably all speed at one time or another, but thats a risk you take and if you get caught, well tough.

I do think the police should focus on all other motoring offences too, because tailgaiting, running red lights, poor lane disclipine, hesitation etc can be just as dangerous and people who do this tend to get away with it.

I agree wholeheartedly with the 50 in a 30 part as there is no need to do 50 in town. However 90 in a 70 is not far off the norm on some stretches of motorway. And most modern cars are perfectly safe at that speed, remember the speed limits for motorways were set when most cars on the road had a top speed of about 85.

Seems fair enough and I think that will be covered in any proper legislation Baps.

At the end of the day we probably all speed at one time or another, but thats a risk you take and if you get caught, well tough.

I do think the police should focus on all other motoring offences too, because tailgaiting, running red lights, poor lane disclipine, hesitation etc can be just as dangerous and people who do this tend to get away with it.

Thanks for clearing this up.

:rolleyes:

Damn, I hoped this was going to be a thread about putting the speed limit up too 100 on a motorway.

To be honest if you do 50 in a 30 or 60 in a 40 then you deserve everything you get. My mums house is on a blind corner at the end of a fairly long stretch of road and some of the plums that come whizzing round the corner Id happily watch crash into a tree. T1ts.

Exactly Tazio

Its also the motorways that traffic cops stalk for victims, I would much more prefer they focussed their attention on inner city areas,single way carriageways and country roads were speeding is more dangerous.

I also reckon most dangerous for motorways is those who cant return to the inside lane or stroll along 20 miles below the speed limit causing frustration and folk to slam on brakes etc.

At the moment there isnt enough focus on road safety as a whole, and instead targetting those driving too fast on a motorway, whilst their are far more dangerous people elsewere.

Is there actually many cars out there of modern build which cant travel at around 100mph and are packed with safety features? I doubt it

Exactly Tazio

Its also the motorways that traffic cops stalk for victims, I would much more prefer they focussed their attention on inner city areas,single way carriageways and country roads were speeding is more dangerous.

I also reckon most dangerous for motorways is those who cant return to the inside lane or stroll along 20 miles below the speed limit causing frustration and folk to slam on brakes etc.

At the moment there isnt enough focus on road safety as a whole, and instead targetting those driving too fast on a motorway, whilst their are far more dangerous people elsewere.

Is there actually many cars out there of modern build which cant travel at around 100mph and are packed with safety features? I doubt it

Good points. Motorway 'speeders' are easy fines though that boost the governments coffers.

I drove a transit from Edinburgh to Cardiff on sunday and it was great fun. Never driven one before, who knew they could do 100 quite comfortably? Although the amount of eejits on the M6 poodling along in the middle lane was frightening. Absolute morons.

I P Knightley

When you talk of 'modern build', you're probably able to go back a good 15 years when ABS started becoming standard on cars.

A 70mph limit on motorways is for puffs & soft girls. If that's what you want to do, then get a bus.

Folk who commit to cruising at or above 80mph should be entitled to attach missile systems to their cars which can be deployed against drivers who fail to return to the left after an overtaking manouvre; who join the motorway and immediately make their way to the middle or outer lane, regardless of traffic or who pull out to overtake when there's clearly at least half a mile of closing space before they reach the thing they're overtaking.

Sheriff Fatman
Exactly Tazio

Its also the motorways that traffic cops stalk for victims

That's a new one, the people who break the law and speed are victims. What are the people who get killed because of those poor victims, are they the ones at fault?

Sheriff Fatman
I agree wholeheartedly with the 50 in a 30 part as there is no need to do 50 in town. However 90 in a 70 is not far off the norm on some stretches of motorway. And most modern cars are perfectly safe at that speed, remember the speed limits for motorways were set when most cars on the road had a top speed of about 85.

Motorway speed limits were set in 1965 and for dual carriage ways in 1977. Tops speeds of most cars were more than 85 miles an hour.

That's a new one, the people who break the law and speed are victims. What are the people who get killed because of those poor victims, are they the ones at fault?

I bet more people die away from motorways due to speeding and other offences than on them so why is it traffic cops stick mostly to them and instead leave the other roads to your day to day cops who often dont have the detection equipment fitted.

The fact is speeding on a motorway is far less dangerous generally than speeding through a town, or on a back road, yet your far more likely to be charged on a motorway

So basically the claims of traffic cops being interested in road safety are a joke

I P Knightley
Motorway speed limits were set in 1965 and for dual carriage ways in 1977. Tops speeds of most cars were more than 85 miles an hour.

In 1977, the 'typical' (best selling UK) car was the Ford Cortina. The 'typical', mid-range model would've been the 1.6 which had a power output of about 80 bhp and a top speed of a little over 90mph.

I wasn't working with cars in 1965 (still on the tit) so am only offering an educated, conservative, guess that the comparable figures back then would have been 60 bhp and 80mph.

Come forward to 2008 and the mid-range Ford Mondeo has 125bhp and a top speed of 124mph.

So, at least a 30% increase in performance capabilities but also a massive increase in safety measures of design & gizmoes.

All that set against a bunch of muppets who don't realise what the inside lanes are for.

Also, BAN JCB's from the bypass and any road during rush hour, they feckers cause more havoc than anyone

The amount of times I have been stuck in a traffic jam for about 3 miles on the bypass only to discover one of those JCB runts causing it :cussing:

I bet more people die away from motorways due to speeding and other offences than on them so why is it traffic cops stick mostly to them and instead leave the other roads to your day to day cops who often dont have the detection equipment fitted.

The fact is speeding on a motorway is far less dangerous generally than speeding through a town, or on a back road, yet your far more likely to be charged on a motorway

So basically the claims of traffic cops being interested in road safety are a joke

The outcome of an accident between 2 cars at 80 to 100 mph will be far different to that of 2 at 30 mph.

Also it is inherently dangerous to have multiple vehicles with differing speed capabilities and stopping differences on the same road at the same time e.g an HGV doing 55, a car towing a caravan doing 50 and a car doing 100. If the car doing 100 misjudges the stopping distance due to losing the perception of distance, which is easy on a motorway doing that speed, then the outcome would be pretty messy.

You also need to consider things like peoples abilities and comfort levels, driving conditions and fuel economy.

It annoys me when in treacherous weather you still get guys doing 80+ when I don't feel comfortable doing 65, and I consider myself a confident driver.

My few cents to this argument:

1) Motorways are inherently safer because all the traffic (should) be going in one direction. However, when accidents do happen they tend to be more serious due to the higher speeds involved.

2) The speed limits set out in this country (which were set with reference to the stopping distances in the Highway Code i think) are for the most part antiquitated. As I mentioned on a thread the other day, my car could pull up from well over a ton in a shorter distance than the HC says from 70 or even possibly 60. (although im not advocating silly speed limits there)

3) There is no real consensus on what is a 'safe' limit on the roads. You are forever told to 'adjust your speed to suit the conditions'. In that respect whats wrong with doing 100+ on an empty motorway at 3 in the morning? Conversely, traveling at 70 on a motorway in fog/ice/pishing rain etc would technically be legal - however its monumentally stupid and dangerous to actually do it!

4) Finally, anyone caught speeding outside schools, etc should have their licence taken straight off them imo.

I agree that modern cars can stop quicker when braking than those used to determine the Highway Code stopping distances however 1 factor that has not changed and people tend to forget is the Thinking Distance.

It's fine saying that if I'm travelling at 100mph and my car has top notch disk brakes all round then I am capable of stopping within the 70mph distance, however I would be interested to know what the distance travelled during the Thinking part would be braking from a ton.

The outcome of an accident between 2 cars at 80 to 100 mph will be far different to that of 2 at 30 mph.

Also it is inherently dangerous to have multiple vehicles with differing speed capabilities and stopping differences on the same road at the same time e.g an HGV doing 55, a car towing a caravan doing 50 and a car doing 100. If the car doing 100 misjudges the stopping distance due to losing the perception of distance, which is easy on a motorway doing that speed, then the outcome would be pretty messy.

You also need to consider things like peoples abilities and comfort levels, driving conditions and fuel economy.

It annoys me when in treacherous weather you still get guys doing 80+ when I don't feel comfortable doing 65, and I consider myself a confident driver.

Then get the wife to drive ;)

Seriously tho, thats what the inside lane is for. You can poodle along in that and allow others to overtake. Easy peasy.

Carl Spackler

On motorways they should be looking at the distance from one car to the next and not the speed. They had trial cameras in Holland that monitored this. Normal conditions 2 seconds to the next car, wet conditions 4 seconds. Speed is irrelevent as long as the car can handle it and you have enough distance to stop.

Speed limits in built up areas are a different matter. I agree with the way they are applied.

1 50 in a 30 6 points

2 70 in a 50 6 points

3 90 in a 70 6 points

1 = 67% over the speed limit

2 = 40% over the speed limit

3 = 29% over the speed limit

Fair?

I was listening to the news on my way into work and they basically said that is a fact.

In built-up areas there are more pedestrians, busier roads, and more complicated roads to navigate. All it takes is someone getting into trouble because they didn't know the roads and danger points making any one of a number of stupid driving errors.

I P Knightley
1 = 67% over the speed limit

2 = 40% over the speed limit

3 = 29% over the speed limit

Fair?

I hadn't wanted to get all mathematical on their asses earlier on but hell, yeah!

What would Pythagoras have said? Or Euler?

Gavsy Van Gaverson
On motorways they should be looking at the distance from one car to the next and not the speed. They had trial cameras in Holland that monitored this. Normal conditions 2 seconds to the next car, wet conditions 4 seconds. Speed is irrelevent as long as the car can handle it and you have enough distance to stop.

Speed limits in built up areas are a different matter. I agree with the way they are applied.

Those are already rules of the road. That and obeying speed limits.

Regardless of speed the distance between cars should be as follows:-

Normal conditions - 2 secs

Wet conditions - 4 secs

Icy condition - up to 10 secs

I see the "Speed Kills" brainwashing of the last decade has rubbed off on some in here! :rolleyes:

I'll continue to drive "at a safe speed and observe my surroundings officer" ;)

Excellent points, Super T.

The need to reduce speed depending on prevailing weather and road surface conditions escapes the notice of too many drivers. Wet roads require double the safe stopping distance. Fog and other bad visiblity call for dipped head lights and reduced speed, even in town. As for snow and ice, well an additonal set of skills are required. We haven't had a really bad winter for years - there will be many who would struggle to cope.

I see the "Speed Kills" brainwashing of the last decade has rubbed off on some in here! :rolleyes:

I'll continue to drive "at a safe speed and observe my surroundings officer" ;)

You need a bit of the 'Speed Kills' publicity to counteract the Jeremy Clarkson glamourisation of the 'Pedal to Floor' mentality. Not enough publicity is given to the safety skills aspect of driving - that's not considered sexy enough by those who control TV output, unfortunately.

Drivers should be encouraged to take the advanced driving test. That would go a long way to reducing accidents on our roads and encouraging more courtesy which is sadly lacking these days thanks to the boorish attitudes of Clarkson and his pals.

Miller Jambo 60
Excellent points, Super T.

The need to reduce speed depending on prevailing weather and road surface conditions escapes the notice of too many drivers. Wet roads require double the safe stopping distance. Fog and other bad visiblity call for dipped head lights and reduced speed, even in town. As for snow and ice, well an additonal set of skills are required. We haven't had a really bad winter for years - there will be many who would struggle to cope.

My favourite part of the Edinburgh bypass is the part at lothianburn where a large pool of water sits during heavy rain.

Love watching the fast clowns soiling their pants as they aquaplane through the water:4_1_72::4_1_72:

Speed kills.

My favourite part of the Edinburgh bypass is the part at lothianburn where a large pool of water sits during heavy rain.

Love watching the fast clowns soiling their pants as they aquaplane through the water:4_1_72::4_1_72:

Speed kills.

Think you just need to get a decent car and stop being jealous of those whose cars can handle the weather and more than 20mph :)

Miller Jambo 60
Think you just need to get a decent car and stop being jealous of those whose cars can handle the weather and more than 20mph :)

Nothing wrong with my yellow 3 wheeler and it can hit 40mph:)

Damn, I hoped this was going to be a thread about putting the speed limit up too 100 on a motorway.

To be honest if you do 50 in a 30 or 60 in a 40 then you deserve everything you get. My mums house is on a blind corner at the end of a fairly long stretch of road and some of the plums that come whizzing round the corner Id happily watch crash into a tree. T1ts.

whizzing?

Are you sure?

Speeding in towns and when it;s busy is stupid.

When you're on the motorway and it's possible to do so the speed limit should be 90.

As for morons driving in the outside lane, just be glad you don't live in NJ. Every SINGLE journey involves an encounter with some spazz doddering along in the outside lane, always completely oblivious to the fact they should be in the inside lane. A quick honk of the horn and giving them the vickies as I undertake them doesn't usually do anything to move them but it sure as hell makes me feel better!

Carl Spackler
Those are already rules of the road. That and obeying speed limits.

Regardless of speed the distance between cars should be as follows:-

Normal conditions - 2 secs

Wet conditions - 4 secs

Icy condition - up to 10 secs

I go on an advanced driving assessment (not for an advanced driving license) every two years as part of my work and this is what they bang on about. Quite rightly if you ask me.

My argument is that motorways needn't necessarily have a speed limit. The speed limit should depend on the vehicle and its abilites in relation to the road. In fact it already does to some extent, HGVs and vans are different from cars. Maybe some sections of motorway are more winding than others and the limit should be imposed there but elsewhere as long as the vehicle can stop without causing a crash then there shouldn't be a problem.

Total rethink needed on motorways for me. Everything is still based upon the 60s when they were first conceived and cars were very different. People who hang about in outside lanes and tailgaiters should be equally be shot at dawn.

Other roads are fair enough. The speed limits are necessary. In fact I would say 20 mph should be imposed on all minor roads to housing estates, 30mph is too fast other than on the estate spine roads.

Speed kills.

Nope, it's suddenly come to a stop which does you ;)

Nothing wrong with my yellow 3 wheeler and it can hit 40mph:)

Doug, i wanna know who's pinched your log-in..... your posts have become coherent all of a sudden. :P:p:p:p:p

Archived