Emigrating? Anyone ever done it?

RoyCropper

Well i have decided i have had enough of Britain and would like to move abroad after much thought. Problem is, im not sure where to go.I am thinking Oz at the moment. I am a fully qualified security systems engineers e.g installing intruder alarms, cctv, door access systems and fire alarms etc and am wondering if anyone knows the demand for us guys at the moment.

This emigration idea is at an early stage and i am looking for some advice however i am definately going to do it.

Is there lots of paperwork, visas etc?

I am totally hacked off with this country and the way it works. I have said to myself - "whats the worst that can happen?" and came to the conclusion that i may get really homesick after a year and come home with experience of other cultures and a few stories to tell. ;)

Geoff Kilpatrick

I used a migration agency, http://www.visabureau.com , they are licensed agents for Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Their website also has points indicators which show the level of visa you can obtain and whether there are areas where your skills are in a higher demand.

Professor.Arturo

I moved to Abu Dhabi for a 12 month contract, working in the de-salination plant, ended up staying nearly 13 years, not emmigration as such but I was heartbroken when I had to come home. But you are right, this country sucks now. Good luck if you go for it,

I moved to Abu Dhabi for a 12 month contract, working in the de-salination plant, ended up staying nearly 13 years, not emmigration as such but I was heartbroken when I had to come home. But you are right, this country sucks now. Good luck if you go for it,

What a shame they let you back in. Let's face it, you probably weren't missed.

Professor.Arturo
What a shame they let you back in. Let's face it, you probably weren't missed.

Ah this thread you mean.

Bed time, remember you have school in the morning

Ah this thread you mean.

Bed time, remember you have school in the morning

I think you're probably a very sad lonely little man. There's not an awful lot of your like in Edinburgh, is there?

Jimmy McNulty

Emigrated to Canada - which was not easy - but was far and away the best decision I ever made in my life.

I miss my family, friends and the football, but I have work opportunities here that I would have been struggling for in the UK.

There's such a thing as a High Commission (or Embassy - depending on where you are looking at going). Of course, for England, just hop on a train.

B?gger giving an agent profit.

We’re off to New Zealand next month. We got in under their Skilled Migrants Program. As we don’t have jobs to go to it took over a year to get to this stage.

We started by going though the NZ immigration service and doing their point system test. That gives you an indication of whether you qualify (Oz does the same). You can do it in about 10 minutes on the internet.

If you have a job it is much easier but it’s a catch 22. You get about 50 points for having a job but you can’t have a job if you don’t have a work permit.

I would stay away from the immigration advisers, especially their “do you qualify section”. When we tried their points system, we always seem to be just short of the points needed. The companies then told us that if we signed up with them their “skilled advisers” would certainly be able to find the necessary points. I started making up the answers, funnily enough we were still just short. Not to suggest that they are all like that.

When we did the official NZimmigration test truthfully, we were about 50 points over.

You could always think about South Africa. Your line of work is going to go through boom times in the next few years.

scottish_chicP

I am feeling exactly the same at the moment. Heading out to Oz for a month for Christmas then if I like it going back out by about August to work for a couple of years. Who knows what will happen after that, I have family over there so would be easy enough (I would imagine) to get to stay in the country.

Archived