Well Done Wales.

Eckauskas

At least someone won.

Seeing as we're not allowed to congratulate England on their historic win.

They're still pish though. Unlike England. :)

Guest Fabuloso

On a similar theme Gary Wales apparently scored an absolute peach of a 30 yarder for Raith on Saturday. Good to see he hasn't lost it!

They're still pish though. Unlike England. :)

You can't say that.

We're not allowed to congratulate England on anything apparently.

You can't say that.

We're not allowed to congratulate England on anything apparently.

I just did. :)

England are back, England are back, hullo, hullo. :)

I just did. :)

England are back, England are back, hullo, hullo. :)

Can't sing that, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :angry:

Can't sing that, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :angry:

It's probably the only time you'll ever see me write those two words on this forum, to be fair. :biggrin:

Who gives a donkeys erse about wales!?

No-one; not even the Welsh, in truth. Wales are the Belgium of the British Isles. :)

Stuff them, i hate that **** Bellamy(think he scored), bust my coupon, got 5 out of 6 cos of them winning. I had the ?170 spent already. W*anker

Stuff them, i hate that **** Bellamy(think he scored), bust my coupon, got 5 out of 6 cos of them winning. I had the ?170 spent already. W*anker

Thats why the coupon went tits up mate. You had planned ahead as to what you where going to be spending the cash on.

Charlie-Brown
No-one; not even the Welsh, in truth. Wales are the Belgium of the British Isles. :)

Oi Lawson - the Welsh are a proud nation and are more original Britons than any of your Saxon & Angle invaders.......

Oi Lawson - the Welsh are a proud nation and are more original Britons than any of your Saxon & Angle invaders.......

:P

Glamorgan Jambo

Charlie, that video is taken from almost exactly where I sit on my infrequent visits to Ninian Park... just beside the directors box which is usually pretty interesting especially last Saturday when Simon Jordan (Crystal Palace owner and ex of Dragons den) was getting pretty fired up about all Cardiff's penalties.

Considering Wales had a very inexperienced side out it was a pretty good result for them and I know that there's a huge difference between the level of the Welsh youngsters and some of the huddies you see wearing a Scotland shirt. Aaron ramsey, Joe Ledley and even gareth Bales would walk pretty much straight into the Scotland team.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

No one cares about England apart from John Motson, Terry Butcher and that lino in the 1966 World Cup Final. FACT.

Charlie, that video is taken from almost exactly where I sit on my infrequent visits to Ninian Park... just beside the directors box which is usually pretty interesting especially last Saturday when Simon Jordan (Crystal Palace owner and ex of Dragons den) was getting pretty fired up about all Cardiff's penalties.

Considering Wales had a very inexperienced side out it was a pretty good result for them and I know that there's a huge difference between the level of the Welsh youngsters and some of the huddies you see wearing a Scotland shirt. Aaron ramsey, Joe Ledley and even gareth Bales would walk pretty much straight into the Scotland team.

Simon Jordan was never on Dragon's Den, he was on some pishy ITV attempt at a similar programme however...

At least someone won.

wales? they can feck right off, burst my coupon! aaaaaargh!!!!

My trips to Ninian Park are very infrequent too, but when I've been there, there has been some sort of weird CCFC / Wee Team flag thing going on in the Bob Bank terracing.

Presumably some lost Leithers banging on about flair.

Agree on the quality of the Welsh youngsters. Toshack took a gamble and persevered with the kids for long period of time and despite some ropey results didn't revert back to the old guard.

How is the Vale of Glamorgan these days?

Course he's nowhere near as good as any of your porridge eatin countrymen.

2 million to choose from and we are still better than your 5 Million. As for being a small place in England. At least we have our own language!!!! Some even speak it.

2 million to choose from and we are still better than your 5 Million. As for being a small place in England. At least we have our own language!!!! Some even speak it.

I'm so jealous:p

Eh?

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=175

33 Scotland 761

62 Wales 518

Woohoo - you won a friendly. Break out the champagne! Scotland could well reach the play-offs, unlike Wales; and they've certainly reached a major tournament a lot more recently than 1958 (when you only made it as a lucky loser anyway).

No one cares about England apart from John Motson, Terry Butcher and that lino in the 1966 World Cup Final. FACT.

Quite right, AP. Only the entire football, cricket and rugby-playing population of the world are obsessed with wanting to beat us every time out. ;)

At least someone won.

Well done England

Glamorgan Jambo
My trips to Ninian Park are very infrequent too, but when I've been there, there has been some sort of weird CCFC / Wee Team flag thing going on in the Bob Bank terracing.

Presumably some lost Leithers banging on about flair.

Agree on the quality of the Welsh youngsters. Toshack took a gamble and persevered with the kids for long period of time and despite some ropey results didn't revert back to the old guard.

How is the Vale of Glamorgan these days?

Haven't ever seen the flag you're referring to. My 'soul crew' contacts don't know much about Scottish football apart from a dislike for Selleck mainly due to some perceived Swansea/Selleck connection.

Talking of the Vale and coincidentally I did see someone jogging through Cowbridge with a Hibs top on a few years ago. My daughter prevented a traffic accident.

And also talking of the vale Robbie Fowler has just put his 'footballers wives' style pad on the market for ?1.5M after paying ?1.4M a year back.

Haven't ever seen the flag you're referring to. My 'soul crew' contacts don't know much about Scottish football apart from a dislike for Selleck mainly due to some perceived Swansea/Selleck connection.

Talking of the Vale and coincidentally I did see someone jogging through Cowbridge with a Hibs top on a few years ago. My daughter prevented a traffic accident.

And also talking of the vale Robbie Fowler has just put his 'footballers wives' style pad on the market for ?1.5M after paying ?1.4M a year back.

So celtic have a connection with swansea now! How many teams do celtic actually have some sort of love-in with?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Quite right, AP. Only the entire football, cricket and rugby-playing population of the world are obsessed with wanting to beat us every time out. ;)

Can't beat a bit of English arrogance. ;)

Can't beat a bit of English arrogance. ;)

It's just because they're all jealous. ;)

Charlie-Brown

The English are just a subset of the Germans, a bit like the Austrians are, that is why they creamed themselves so much about beating the 'master race' in their own backyard - when it all boils down to it Engerland winning in Berlin is just a second home match for them....cousins of the Kaiser & all that. ;)

The English are just a subset of the Germans, a bit like the Austrians are, that is why they creamed themselves so much about beating the 'master race' in their own backyard - when it all boils down to it Engerland winning in Berlin is just a second home match for them....cousins of the Kaiser & all that. ;)

The English - or the British? The Queen is German, and her husband's Greek. If you look at rugby or cricket though, the post-colonial anger we continually inspire in all our opponents is absolutely hilarious - and there's an unwritten rule which goes: "You can be as offensive and insulting as you like about the English - but if they ever respond at all, it's yet more proof of their arrogance".

naziMOS0902_468x196.jpg

Maybe some 'secret' BNP members might enjoy this photo of the Queens eleven....

I think that was just eleven Daily Mail writers on holiday, Charlie. :)

Charlie-Brown
I think that was just eleven Daily Mail writers on holiday, Charlie. :)

Away man, that photo was taken last night! ;)

Geoff Kilpatrick
Eh?

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=175

33 Scotland 761

62 Wales 518

Woohoo - you won a friendly. Break out the champagne! Scotland could well reach the play-offs, unlike Wales; and they've certainly reached a major tournament a lot more recently than 1958 (when you only made it as a lucky loser anyway).

Correct, but they certainly did a lot better than both England and Scotland in that tournament, as did Northern Ireland!

Correct, but they certainly did a lot better than both England and Scotland in that tournament, as did Northern Ireland!

I know. Amazing achievement by them both. Norn Iron's one was more meritorious though: eliminating Italy in the qualifiers, then somehow getting through a group featuring West Germany, Argentina and Czechoslovakia - and all by playing stunning football. Predictably, the IFA bigots who'd tried to stop the team travelling to Sweden (because they were angry about playing on a Sunday) lapped up the BBC coverage of the brilliant 2-2 draw with holders West Germany, in which Harry Gregg was absolutely phenomenal.

And you went on to do it again 24 years later too! I've argued before that, going on size of population, Northern Ireland are probably the biggest overachievers in world football. The Welsh, meanwhile, and very much like the Republic in 1990, enjoyed large dollops of fortune throughout their 1958 journey, but it was still phenomenal: and Pele's always described the goal which knocked them out of a remarkably tight quarter-final as the most important he ever scored. I think Wales have been paying for their luck that year ever since - though they did at least form a special relationship with Brazilian football which has lasted to this day.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I know. Amazing achievement by them both. Norn Iron's one was more meritorious though: eliminating Italy in the qualifiers, then somehow getting through a group featuring West Germany, Argentina and Czechoslovakia - and all by playing stunning football. Predictably, the IFA bigots who'd tried to stop the team travelling to Sweden (because they were angry about playing on a Sunday) lapped up the BBC coverage of the brilliant 2-2 draw with holders West Germany, in which Harry Gregg was absolutely phenomenal.

And you went on to do it again 24 years later too! I've argued before that, going on size of population, Northern Ireland are probably the biggest overachievers in world football. The Welsh, meanwhile, and very much like the Republic in 1990, enjoyed large dollops of fortune throughout their 1958 journey, but it was still phenomenal: and Pele's always described the goal which knocked them out of a remarkably tight quarter-final as the most important he ever scored. I think Wales have been paying for their luck that year ever since - though they did at least form a special relationship with Brazilian football which has lasted to this day.

Leaving aside the ridiculous qualifying for 1958, I actually think it was the culmination of the post-war boom in football across the British Isles and, as I've said before, England would have done much better had it not lost half its first XI at Munich. Wales had the likes of John Charles, Northern Ireland had Danny Blanchflower, Scotland had Dave Mackay (and a stupid selection committee) and England had Tom Finney, all world class players in their time. How many world class players play in the British Isles now?

Leaving aside the ridiculous qualifying for 1958, I actually think it was the culmination of the post-war boom in football across the British Isles and, as I've said before, England would have done much better had it not lost half its first XI at Munich. Wales had the likes of John Charles, Northern Ireland had Danny Blanchflower, Scotland had Dave Mackay (and a stupid selection committee) and England had Tom Finney, all world class players in their time. How many world class players play in the British Isles now?

Answer: probably no more than three. Gerrard, Rooney, Ferdinand. The Welsh had a ludicrous committee too, by the way: one which often couldn't tell the difference between John and Mel Charles, left players behind at the airport while all travelling on themselves, had to travel back to Wales then come straight out again because they'd never considered the possibility of getting through the group... and banished others for refusing to sing choral songs on the team coach! :eek:

Answer: probably no more than three. Gerrard, Rooney, Ferdinand. The Welsh had a ludicrous committee too, by the way: one which often couldn't tell the difference between John and Mel Charles, left players behind at the airport while all travelling on themselves, had to travel back to Wales then come straight out again because they'd never considered the possibility of getting through the group... and banished others for refusing to sing choral songs on the team coach! :eek:

Gary Imlach's (the tv journalist) book (My Father and Other Working Class Heroes) about Stewart Imlach covers the 1958 world cup. Scotland were meant to have Sir Matt Busby as manager but due to the Munich air crash he couldn't make it. So as said above the blazers picked the team. Well worth a read that book anyway.

Charlie-Brown

Maybe less so now that his career is in it's latter years but over the last 17 years Ryan Giggs of WALES has been a world class player whilst youngsters like Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsay should potential that they could become world class players.

Archived