Scotland v Argentina = Farce

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

We are paying hundreds of thousands of pounds we dont have for a game we cant/wont win that no one seems to have the money to watch. The actual game itself has become a side issue to something that happened in a game 22 years ago that we werent even a part of.

Our tin pot leader of our tin pot government is endorsing this arse clenchingly embarrasing jingoistic notion of praising Diego Maradona for what he did in said game 22 years ago. And the assistant manager of OUR country has not mentioned the actual game once because he is still in the huff about what Maradona did in said game 22 years ago.

I'm no England lover but I'm not one of these people that passes blood every time one of them mentions 1966. I've said it before but the weight of expectation does more damage to England than Alex Salmond and his bloody perma grinned puss in The Sun will ever do. We have made our self look pretty foolish this week. The English dont really give 2 hoots what we think im afraid and the fact they are ****ing thier group and we're ****ing up ours makes Amy McDonald's views on things pretty irrelevant.

Cant we just organise a friendly, play them, hopefully get a result then move on to the next game. Or does this ridiculous Braveheart mentallity have to determine EVERYTHING we do?

We are paying hundreds of thousands of pounds we dont have for a game we cant/wont win that no one seems to have the money to watch. The actual game itself has become a side issue to something that happened in a game 22 years ago that we werent even a part of.

Our tin pot leader of our tin pot government is endorsing this arse clenchingly embarrasing jingoistic notion of praising Diego Maradona for what he did in said game 22 years ago. And the assistant manager of OUR country has not mentioned the actual game once because he is still in the huff about what Maradona did in said game 22 years ago.

I'm no England lover but I'm not one of these people that passes blood every time one of them mentions 1966. I've said it before but the weight of expectation does more damage to England than Alex Salmond and his bloody perma grinned puss in The Sun will ever do. We have made our self look pretty foolish this week. The English dont really give 2 hoots what we think im afraid and the fact they are ****ing thier group and we're ****ing up ours makes Amy McDonald's views on things pretty irrelevant.

Cant we just organise a friendly, play them, hopefully get a result then move on to the next game. Or does this ridiculous Braveheart mentallity have to determine EVERYTHING we do?

Away and pour yourself a drink amd chill out, it is not the end of the world FFS, you never know, we like being the underdog, although you think we will get humped, why don't you just switch the televison to channel 993 and see Engerland get their collective asses whipped by the Germans. Enjoy and remember 'It's Only a Game'. ;)

I'm no England lover but I'm not one of these people that passes blood every time one of them mentions 1966.

I'm sure if Scotland had won the World Cup that we wouldn't be mentioning it 42 years later.....:rolleyes:

I'm sure if Scotland had won the World Cup that we wouldn't be mentioning it 42 years later.....:rolleyes:

:sobored::sobored::sobored:

Can you change the record, I am really sorry for you that your parents did not decide to emigrate to Engerland before you were born, but heh ho you would never think it. :rolleyes:

Guest juvehearts
:sobored::sobored::sobored:

Can you change the record, I am really sorry for you that your parents did not decide to emigrate to Engerland before you were born, but heh ho you would never think it. :rolleyes:

He is right tho.

IF we won the WC in 66 we would still be going on about it.

not as much as engurlund but still!

anyway a wee win against the argy bargy 'll do me

It's outrageous the way the press have made such a big deal over the blatant handball. In fact it's embarassing.

Are we so sad as a nation that we have to celebrate England losing?

Makes me ashamed to be Scottish the pish we have had to put up with this week.

we like being the underdog

Another myth.

Can you name me a time when we've been the underdog in a competitive tie and done the business?

portobellojambo1

I was told by someone today that only around 28,000 tickets have been sold at about ?30 a skull.

I have to be honest and say I don't really see the point in playing such friendlies/challenge games, especially at this time of year, when people have other things on their mind with regards to financial output.

Gordon Smith actually summed it up for me when he said "the only time we are likely to play such opposition is if we qualify for the World Cup finals".

Why not arrange a friendly against opposition where you might actually score a few goals, raise team confidence and possibly regain a chance of qualifying for said World Cup finals, or is that too logical.

Gordon Smith actually summed it up for me when he said "the only time we are likely to play such opposition is if we qualify for the World Cup finals".

Translation: This is the only way we'll get to play them.

lost in leith
Another myth.

Can you name me a time when we've been the underdog in a competitive tie and done the business?

France home and away ring a bell :P

rudi must stay

well said. The confidence is low in the squad and we are playing one of the best teams in the world. It's daft. We should be playing a team similarly ranked to us to get the confidence up for the next game

Another myth.

Sorry it mght be your memory/bigotness/stupidity, I give you.....France (TWICE) get it.....:sad:

jack D and coke
It's outrageous the way the press have made such a big deal over the blatant handball. In fact it's embarassing.

Are we so sad as a nation that we have to celebrate England losing?

Makes me ashamed to be Scottish the pish we have had to put up with this week.

I have to agree. I love having a laugh at the english as much as the next guy but i've been cringing this week. Its even been getting mentioned on english radio stations how much of a hero's welcome maradona is going to get just because of the hand of god incident. Someone's at the lash with this pish:mad:

And will somebody tell Butcher to shut the **** up. Exactly the reason an englishman should never be anywhere near the front line of the Scottish National team.

I did. We were the underdogs in that group.

There is a difference between a tie and a group. A tie is a game not a campaign.

There is a difference between a tie and a group. A tie is a game not a campaign.

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Scotland v France wasn't a tie. Neither team progressed further solely as a result of those two games.

Why not just do the decent thing and admit the underdog thing is nonsense, rather than employing a poor attempt at pedantry?

Did we qualify?

What's that got to do with it? You asked "Can you name me a time when we've been the underdog in a competitive tie and done the business?". France was the answer, twice. Question answered I would say. :rolleyes:

rudi must stay
We should only play games we can win?

no, we should only win friendlies that we can win. Friendlies are pointless games so there's no point playing a great team you can never beat imo

Patrick Bateman
I was told by someone today that only around 28,000 tickets have been sold at about ?30 a skull.

I have to be honest and say I don't really see the point in playing such friendlies/challenge games, especially at this time of year, when people have other things on their mind with regards to financial output.

Why not arrange a friendly against opposition where you might actually score a few goals, raise team confidence and possibly regain a chance of qualifying for said World Cup finals, or is that too logical.

Absolutely right. Smith is clearly someone who thinks he's a lot smarter than he really is and thinks that these clever wee schemes will help him rise some career ladder.

In reality, organising an expensive, midweek, winter friendly (against anyone) and charging obscene amounts of money during a time of wider financial downturn is nothing short of moronic. The fact he was mentioning the possibility of bringing over Brazil underlines this - International football is a massive ego trip for an egotistical moron.

In fact, I'd happily see Scotland lose every remaining qualifier if it ensured that he and his alcoholic lap dog were forced to quit.

rudi must stay
no, we should only win friendlies that we can win. Friendlies are pointless games so there's no point playing a great team you can never beat imo

sorry meant 'we should only play friendlies that we can win'

portobellojambo1
We should only play games we can win?

Of course not, but if the number one objective is to reach South Africa to me it would have made more sense to play a side whose style is more similar to those teams we will be up against in qualification (or somebody relatively easy that you can maybe get a few goals against and boost confidence). I don't think there are any sides in our group who will play in a similar style to the Argentinians, not even The Netherlands.

Not everything!

But some of us are very patriotic!

That is our right, as is yours to come on here and pass criticism at every opportunity, whether it is aimed at VR or anything Scottish!!

Having lived in Engerland for a few years I found that the English are as patriotic about England as we are about Scotland, and quite right to. Many of them detest the Scots, again, as is threir right!

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
Not everything!

But some of us are very patriotic!

That is our right, as is yours to come on here and pass criticism at every opportunity, whether it is aimed at VR or anything Scottish!!

Having lived in Engerland for a few years I found that the English are as patriotic about England as we are about Scotland, and quite right to. Many of them detest the Scots, again, as is threir right!

Sorry mate, having been born in Scotland and living in Scotland for 32 years, have never once criticised Scotland in here. At no point do i criticise the team, just the small minded people that have turned tonights game into a circus.

Great post......agree with everything.

Another myth.

Euro 2008 qualifying: Scotland 1-0 France; France 0-1 Scotland

Euro 92: Scotland 3-0 CIS

Italia 90 qualifying: Scotland 2-0 France. Scotland qualify, France (third in the world in '86, European Champions in '84) go out.

Euro 88 qualifying: Scotland 2-0 Belgium; Bulgaria 0-1 Scotland (Mackay)

Mexico 86 qualifying: Scotland 3-1 Spain. Scotland qualify.

Argentina 78: Scotland 3-2 Holland

Argentina 78 qualifying: Scotland 3-1 Czechoslovakia. Scotland qualify, European Champions Czechoslovakia go out.

Germany 74 qualifying: Scotland 2-1 Czechoslovakia. Scotland qualify, Czechoslovakia go out.

Euro 68 qualifying: England 2-3 Scotland

portobellojambo1
wat would the confidence be like had we beaten the argies?

The thing is we didn't though, although I am sure no one expected us to. As I said earlier I would have preferred if Scotland had looked at the remaining group games, decided which one they felt they really had to get a result in (personally I would have probably gone for The Netherlands away), decided how the plan on playing that game, selected opposition that they believe would have played as close to the Dutch way as possible, then gone out and practised how we plan on trying to stop the Dutch.

Tonight I think we saw that Argentina are very confident on the ball, can spread it about, can control the pace of the game, can play rough when the occasion calls for it, probably all things we knew anyway. Tonight I don't think was about admiring, tonight should have been about preparing for what is to come, I am not sure we have.

Fozzyonthefence
Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Scotland v France wasn't a tie. Neither team progressed further solely as a result of those two games.

Why not just do the decent thing and admit the underdog thing is nonsense, rather than employing a poor attempt at pedantry?

Oh dear:doh:

Of course it was a "tie" - what do you define as a "tie" then if not a competive game? You didn't say anything about qualification in your question.

Why not just admit you were talking mince and quit your pedantry?

Nelly Terraces

Didn't even bother watching the GFA game as i knew it'd be pretty much a procession towards our goall and as one sided as you can get/not much of a contest.

Watched the England game instead, not a bad match, for a friendly, England looked good, and have some useful young talent coming through (and that was without the excellent Walcott playing). I think with Capello in charge they could seriously on to do some major damage in the next WC, if they can screw the nut expectation wise.

Sadly, Scotland are utter garbage. Football in this country is a disgrace. There's virtually no skill, or talent, and the top league is just an exercise in hoofing it to the big bloke up front and 'getting stuck in' with skill of secondary importance.

The only country in the world where you can be 'too small/slight' or not be brutish enough to get a game. Our training methods must be from the bloody dark ages, and most of the homegrown players are a disgrace fitness & self discipline wise enjoying wrecking thier bodies with booze in Chav bars at any given opportunity. All overseen by the most corrupt organisation on these Isles, the GFA, who really don't give a f ** k about anything else apart from sucking each other off on junkets.

Did we qualify?

Did we qualify......

The hype surrounding last night's game was way over the top. At the end of the day it was a friendly - no matter who the opposition. Its the world cup qualifiers that matter.

I also think that despite what some of the papers were saying today - it was a very dull game.

suzie_preston

I'm sorry to say this but last night some Scotland fan's and the team were an embarrassment, why is it that even before the game has kicked off does everyone talk about how they will lose, get beat, have no chance of winning? No wonder the team walk out onto the pitch with the attitude that seems to be why bother we carn't win and nobody expects us to.

Why would any true supporter with a brain in their head wear the opponent's top and be so busy giving the visitor's, the team they are suppose to be trying to beat so much praise?

Do you hear England supporter's bragging about how they carn't win a game or beat anyone?

Do they walk around wearing the opponent's tops and praising them?

I very much doubt it, they wear their team's colours with pride, they will tell you they are the best, can beat anyone even if they doubt it themselves they don't tell you that.

Big headed, arrogant, so full of themselves?

No they believe in getting behind their team until they are proved wrong and occasionally beat then they let their team know there not happy.

Maybe Argentina were miles better team but do Scottish people have to have so little pride and faith in Scotland that they prefer to wear an Argentinian top to a Scotland one?

Spitonastranger
Another myth.

twice against France to just two:p

Another myth.

Confused??? When you say WE'VE, do you mean Scotland or England?:P

Archived