U19s

123kid

Who do you see being genuinely a top prospect?

Id say only bad coaching could prevent Husband and Craig Thomson from being first team regulars in the future. Or even playing at a higher level tbh.

Id say only bad coaching could prevent Husband and Craig Thomson from being first team regulars in the future. Or even playing at a higher level tbh.

Plenty of that to go around at tynecastle. Elliot's mismanagement has hindered his career hugely

jamboinglasgow

I would agree with those two, and would add:

Rapnik - Strong and intelligent CB

Gary Glen - when he reclaims his form and attitude.

Delands - fast and good tackling Left back, in the Alan Hutton mould.

Johnny Brown - another good full back, always impressed me when he played for the U19s. Can play left Back or Right back and looked good in the friendly v hull.

Scott Robinson - Think this boy will be special too but sadly has a bad injury at the moment so hasn't featured for U19s this season.

Danny Thomson - Was doing well in CM until a terrible almost career threatning injury hit him at the begining of the season, hopefully will recover and continue good potential.

Conrad Balatoni - Another solid defender who won U17 player of the year last season. Capable and likely to do well.

Dylan McGowen - Another CB, brother to Ryan and all reports that he is going to be better than him so that is a good sign.

thats all I can think of at the moment.

I would agree with those two, and would add:

Rapnik - Strong and intelligent CB

Gary Glen - when he reclaims his form and attitude.

Delands - fast and good tackling Left back, in the Alan Hutton mould.

Johnny Brown - another good full back, always impressed me when he played for the U19s. Can play left Back or Right back and looked good in the friendly v hull.

Scott Robinson - Think this boy will be special too but sadly has a bad injury at the moment so hasn't featured for U19s this season.

Danny Thomson - Was doing well in CM until a terrible almost career threatning injury hit him at the begining of the season, hopefully will recover and continue good potential.

Conrad Balatoni - Another solid defender who won U17 player of the year last season. Capable and likely to do well.

Dylan McGowen - Another CB, brother to Ryan and all reports that he is going to be better than him so that is a good sign.

thats all I can think of at the moment.

What is Robinsons inury? Hes the 16year old lad that came on last season yeh?

Whens he expected back? Career threatening?

He'll be back soon.

jamboinglasgow

not sure to be honest, think it is serious in the way it has kept him out for months, in his video Darren Murray listed him with Rocco Visconte and Danny Thomson as players with serious injuries.

He is the 16 year that came on, but he has years to develop.

edit: just read Peanuts post, thats good news, lets hope the injury hasn't hampered him.

Daniel Thomson looked good. What was his injury again?

It was a season ender, yeah?

Possibly career ender if I recall, real shame.

Charlie-Brown

All the kids have talent and some good qualities and it isn't always easy to guage or predict their rate of progress, sometimes they can stutter for a period before making huge leaps forward or alternatively they can make a big impression only to fall back again for a while, one of the kids who maybe isn't the most notable ones like Husband or C.Thomson but who has improved a lot recently is Mulrooney who now looks a lot stronger and has tremendous fitness to get up & down & across the pitch, he's developed physically since last season and whilst he may not necessarily become a top SPL player I think with his tremendous energy & work-rate he'll definitely be a player in somebodies team.

The wingers Wagner, McKenzie & the new kid Novikovas all have really good pace and good trickery & skills so if they can match that with consistency they'll stand a good chance.

All the kids have talent and some good qualities and it isn't always easy to guage or predict their rate of progress, sometimes they can stutter for a period before making huge leaps forward or alternatively they can make a big impression only to fall back again for a while, one of the kids who maybe isn't the most notable ones like Husband or C.Thomson but who has improved a lot recently is Mulrooney who now looks a lot stronger and has tremendous fitness to get up & down & across the pitch, he's developed physically since last season and whilst he may not necessarily become a top SPL player I think with his tremendous energy & work-rate he'll definitely be a player in somebodies team.

The wingers Wagner, McKenzie & the new kid Novikovas all have really good pace and good trickery & skills so if they can match that with consistency they'll stand a good chance.

I live south of the border so seldom get a chance to see reserve and U19 teams so it's refreshing to hear from you Charlie, JamboinGlasgow and others about what's going on below the 1st team. You may not realise it but you provide a great service for people who cannot get to these matches. Thanks.

York Jambo 44

Agree totally with JamboAl. These are best threads on the board - well, only one's that cheer me up Think TBH we (first team) are treading water until these boys come through

Seymour M Hersh
Plenty of that to go around at tynecastle. Elliot's mismanagement has hindered his career hugely

What do you think has been mismanaged?

The big thing is youngsters making the step up mentally. Not all will make it because they don`t adapt up-top.

All of them probably look good technically but handling the pace and strength of first team games is vital.

It also becomes more tactical so there`s alot for them to handle.

ChampManChamp

I like the look of Jonathan Stewart, the 19's captain. Looks very comfortable on the ball in the holding midfield roll. Been in a couple of the 1st team squads of late too.

Just a matter of time before he breaks through IMO.

He Who Cannot Be Named

Whats the deal with Kostadinov and Copil? Or Elias Wagner? Anyone know how those lads are getting on?

jamboinglasgow
I like the look of Jonathan Stewart, the 19's captain. Looks very comfortable on the ball in the holding midfield roll. Been in a couple of the 1st team squads of late too.

Just a matter of time before he breaks through IMO.

he is another I have heard good reports about. A solid central midfielder who provides alot. Last season only really saw him when he came off the bench but still seemed to be a solid player.

I was watching todays match with scotland thinking that we must bleed some more youngsters in the first team otherwise we could face a barren period. I quite like the welsh attitude that took a group of youngsters and built them up through selective training that there is a good group of youngsters including Ramsey (who is 17.) I think there is a good lot of youngsters below the first team (including the older players of Arfield, MacDonald and even Wallace if he continues his good run of late. Better than Broadfoot at left back any day.) We need to develop youngsters more and we can have a great team. Better technique, better skills, better pace and able to string a better pass. It can be done but it needs the coaching. Hearts can do that but the grassroots need help.

Craig Thomson played in the first ever under-19s game I covered a couple of years ago. He was only 15 at the time but he played quite well. Saw him on Saturday for the first time since then (due to him being down the pecking order behind Shaun Kelly and Jonathan Brown) and have to say I was very, very impressed. Good on the ball, good in the tackle, can run with the ball and has an excellent delivery for a full back.

Balatoni is also a real top prospect. Can't believe this guy is as young as he is. The kid is an absolute bear and always impresses me when I see him. As dominating in the air as any player you're likely to see at that age.

Many of them will go down the road of our last batch, Sives, Armstrong, Elliot & the few we have on loan. No longer youngsters, and should be removed from our wage bill. I'd add Mole to that list.

Balatoni is also a real top prospect. Can't believe this guy is as young as he is. The kid is an absolute bear and always impresses me when I see him. As dominating in the air as any player you're likely to see at that age.

I'd agree - and he's only 17.

I guess the manager also agrees and thats why he was included in the 1st team squad last week.

Another thing I like about him is the fact that he's a Jambo, had a ST and spent many years in the stands supporting the team before he signed pro.

All round good guy.

I have a mate who is a scout and a youth coach at Hearts and of all the ones coming through just now it is Balatoni that he would bet on making it all the way.

Reckons his style of play is similar to Claudio Reyna (ex Bayer Leverkusen/ Rangers/Sunderland etc).

Charlie-Brown

Hearts U19's are away to St Mirren on friday afternoon, if anyone is planning to go along I'm sure the boys would appreciate some support - they're well worth woatching and with 10 goals scored in the last 2 games in a good patch of form.

Match details here http://www.saintmirren.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ManReg/NewsDetail/0,,10295~1461213,00.html?ptvParm=r

I have a mate who is a scout and a youth coach at Hearts and of all the ones coming through just now it is Balatoni that he would bet on making it all the way.

Reckons his style of play is similar to Claudio Reyna (ex Bayer Leverkusen/ Rangers/Sunderland etc).

I sincerely doubt that. He must mean someone else?

Conrad's a big thumping centre-half!

Apart from Glen we seem to be lacking genuine goalscorers coming through? We need some I reckon.

Great thread this one, restoring my faith in Kickback.

Apart from Glen we seem to be lacking genuine goalscorers coming through? We need some I reckon.

Mark Cowan's up to 8 for the season I think, in the U19s, and Templeton has 3 or 4 for the reserves.

Charlie-Brown

Glen's a good finisher & can score goals but he isn't a genuine goalscorer or even an out & out striker / poacher, certainly not in the Robbo mould anyway.

The U19 striker this season Mark Cowan has been in good scoring form this season & the end of last, not sure exactly how many he's scored so far but it's quite a few now and he's one of the few Hearts strikers I've seen who's managed to combine the work ethic demanded of the main striker role as well as getting on the score sheet regularly.

Others like Glen, Templeton, R.Wallace etc all play off the main striker but they too can finish & score etc but you wouldn't call them centre forwards.

Charlie-Brown
Mark Cowan's up to 8 for the season I think, in the U19s, and Templeton has 3 or 4 for the reserves.

How many has Craig Thomson scored from right back position? must be 5 or 6 so far although taking free kicks & pens does help! Mind you saying that he's created even more than he's scored himself - last week v Celts he made 1 & scored 1, the week before v QoS he made another 2 and was involved in moves for most of the rest.

Clydesdale Bank U19 Leading scorers 2008/09 as at 15 Nov 08

7 - Calum Hendrie (Motherwell)

6 - Mark Cowan (Hearts)

6 - Archie Campbell (Rangers)

5 - Ryan Dow (Dundee United)

5 - Paul Sludden (Falkirk)

5 - Shane Sutherland (Inverness CT)

4 - Mitchell Megginson (Aberdeen)

4 - Craig Thomson (Hearts)

4 - Kurtis Byrne (Hibernian)

4 - Patrick Deane (Hibernian)

4 - Daniel McKay (Kilmarnock)

3 - Gary Carroll (Aberdeen)

3 - Peter Pawlett (Aberdeen)

3 - Stuart Leslie (Inverness CT)

3 - Daniel Park (Inverness CT)

3 - Robert McHugh (Motherwell)

3 - Ryan Martin (Motherwell)

I sincerely doubt that. He must mean someone else?

Conrad's a big thumping centre-half!

Ooops ....... your right. It was Rocky Visconte

Archived