Driving lessons..

scooba1874

I think im gona start learning to drive but not sure who to use.

I'v heard the AA aren't too great and theres BSM but they're a bit pricey. Anyone know any decent companies that have a high rate of passing learners at a half decent price?

Miller Jambo 60

I'v heard the AA aren't too great and theres BSM but they're a bit pricey. Anyone know any decent companies that have a high rate of passing learners at a half decent price?

loads of private guys who will be cheaper with the same or better instruction.

I paid 3.50 a lesson at 17 mind you that was 31 years ago:eek:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I recently did a semi intensive course with Driving's Cool. I did 4 hours driving a week, for about 9 weeks.

I had my first lesson on the 8th August and passed on the 15th October. It was around ?500 for my first 24 hours of lessons. I then paid for an extra 10 hours (about ?220) of lessons to get me through to my test.

I also passed my theory on the 15th August.

Quite expensive but was worth it to get passed as quicky as I did.

Malcolm Tucker

I'm about to start with Skyline I think.

5 of my mates passed 1st time with them so I don't see why I shouldn't give them a go.

Jamie_the_Jambo

I used Red L. They were doing a deal on your block first lessons at the time. Might be worth a holler? The guy was okay too. Very strict but he got me through quick. I needed to pass quickly so I guess he was pretty hard on me. Oh and I booked my test without telling him so he was a bit ****ed off he only had a few weeks to get me ready. He told me that he gets asked lots of questions/stick if you dont pass - cos its his job to make sure you do (or a ready to do so).

Anyway....

Jamie

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

aye i went with skyline aswell, if you get a boy brian love your laughin cos he will get u passed no problem!

season tikcet holder aswell.

Your national ones such as BSM and AA arent the best, their instructers tend to be your rush whilst you work jobs and the demands of their companies mean they charge more and are less flexible

You are best off with a local instructor you trust, dont buy a block up front, always get 1 or 2 lessons first and only buy the block once your happy that you and the instructor work well together

I would also avoid the ones who use the fact they have minis etc as cars, you want them to teach you to drive, not let you drive a yuppy car and they normally charge a premium for it too.

I'm about to start with Skyline I think.

5 of my mates passed 1st time with them so I don't see why I shouldn't give them a go.

Shame you didnt get to learn in a skyline ;)

Shame you didnt get to learn in a skyline ;)

Drive one? He was in the bloody skyline after his first speed bump!

cheers, private company seems the best option i guess. skyline sounds pretty good might give them a shout, any chance anyone could PM me any names and numbers of local private companies? probaly hard to get if you dont know where to look!

mike brown thats who am with ?22 a lesson plus he's a jambo a will pm u his number

cheers, any names and numbers appreciated!

you should ask what grade your driving instructor is. They are graded 1 to 6, grades 1,2,3 are substandard. Most instructors are grade 4 (70%) grade 5 (25%) Grade 6 (5%) A higher grade generaly means better instruction more structured and better at not just telling you what you done wrong again and again but being able to get you to fix it ! Also ask your instructor if they have taken any more training since they have qualified most dont bother and stay in a comfort zone. The reason i know all this is because i am a driving instructor

you should ask what grade your driving instructor is. They are graded 1 to 6, grades 1,2,3 are substandard. Most instructors are grade 4 (70%) grade 5 (25%) Grade 6 (5%) A higher grade generaly means better instruction more structured and better at not just telling you what you done wrong again and again but being able to get you to fix it ! Also ask your instructor if they have taken any more training since they have qualified most dont bother and stay in a comfort zone. The reason i know all this is because i am a driving instructor

oh right, well what grade are u then? what do you charge for 1 lesson?

Malcolm Tucker

Go and teach me to drive please.

oh right, well what grade are u then? what do you charge for 1 lesson?

Grade 5 first lesson free then ? 23 a lesson for working. ?22 student/unemployed blockbooking discount available check the linkhttp://www.happy-hour.uk.com/

i used catz eyes but had to change instructor half way through as first guy lost his licence. Second guy(Ally) was really good though. I paid ?31 for an hour and a half lesson.

Grade 5 first lesson free then ? 23 a lesson for working. ?22 student/unemployed blockbooking discount available check the linkhttp://www.happy-hour.uk.com/

Why do the unemployed get a discount?

Why do the unemployed get a discount?

Harder for them to pay? Lack of income kind of puts you of ?30 per lesson. ?22 is more attractive= more business..simple business principles really. Working in a bank I would expect you to have at least a basic concept of this.

Harder for them to pay? Lack of income kind of puts you of ?30 per lesson. ?22 is more attractive= more business..simple business principles really. Working in a bank I would expect you to have at least a basic concept of this.

I dont work in a bank :)

And if you dont have money to learn to drive due to lack of employment you dont learn to drive, least not til you get a job

What I love about this society though, folk moaning about cash problems etc, all the time they have massive mobile and sky contracts and are learning to drive/driving a brand new car:rolleyes:

I dont work in a bank :)

And if you dont have money to learn to drive due to lack of employment you dont learn to drive, least not til you get a job

What I love about this society though, folk moaning about cash problems etc, all the time they have massive mobile and sky contracts and are learning to drive/driving a brand new car:rolleyes:

Nobody said anything about new cars.

And I'm pretty sure you are in the business sector and are a office chicken.

This is all correct. I too am an instructor and the extra training is very important as instructors have to be able to analyse why you're making a mistake and give you the correct advice as to how to fix a fault. Constantly telling you that you're doing something wrong is no good.

I'd recommend Passmasters as a company as their rates are very good compared to other companies and the instructors in Edinburgh are spot on.

they just do, the company decides the prices.

Can you give them lessons on how to drive to the job centre from now on :)

Can you give them lessons on how to drive to the job centre from now on :)

sometimes the job centre pays for the lessons i kid you not !

sometimes the job centre pays for the lessons i kid you not !

I know I will regret asking this, but what possible justification could they have for paying for driving lessons for a job seeker?:eek:

I know I will regret asking this, but what possible justification could they have for paying for driving lessons for a job seeker?:eek:

the job seeker says they would like a job that involves driving but they dont have a licence. The job centre gets taken by this and pays for about 5 lessons as an insentive then they give up after the 5 lessons ?

the job seeker says they would like a job that involves driving but they dont have a licence. The job centre gets taken by this and pays for about 5 lessons as an insentive then they give up after the 5 lessons ?

Stop complaining unemployed people are fixable and fill in the gaps that keep you in a job :P

It increases their skills and opens up more avenues of potential employment. It may seem expensive to put them through it but if that cost is enough to get them working the goverment will win twice; once by getting them of the dole and secondly by the tax they will pay once earning.

It increases their skills and opens up more avenues of potential employment. It may seem expensive to put them through it but if that cost is enough to get them working the goverment will win twice; once by getting them of the dole and secondly by the tax they will pay once earning.

Agree as long as they stick to it !

I'm with Happy hour and pleased with them so far. Price for a lesson is ?22 which is quite reasonable compared to others. Pity my instrutor is a celtic fan :eek:

My driving instructor was a top lad.

Got me through it really quickly and he used to constantly rant about really pointless stuff which seemed really funny at the time.

Dont think he does it anymore.

Did my 'pass plus' with him as well - would recomend that to any young driver - **** easy, no test and its like maybe 6 hours it takes.

Look steer this guy in the right direction and tell him what gear to be in. Give him the right (and left) indicators of where he should go. Starting off should be OK but if not he could suffer a reverse! Don't let him clutch at straws but get him motoring. Maybe someone should get him a brake and get him lessons for Christmas - that would be a bumper present!

Job Centres do not pay for driving lessons.

Unemployed pay for their own, increasing their credit card debts in the search for work. They usually have to pay for other training themselves also! Some way to get folks back to work!

How times have changed since I was learning - and that was only 3 years ago.

I paid only about ?17 or ?18 an hour from a company in fife (can't remember the name now).

Am I right in saying that the theory test is much harder now too?

Go for happy hour based in portobello. Got me, my brother, my cousin, my mother in law and my cousins bird through there test pretty good. My other brother is sitting lessons with them

Archived